Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

14 minutes ago, Rhys McCabe Hype Train said:

The new “yeaahhh brexit” blue passports are horrendous. Shit quality compared to the old red ones and now immediately make me stand out as the “look at me I’m from a country full of racists” character in the passport control queue.

Not sure I could tell you what other countries passports look like tbh. 

3 hours ago, BFTD said:

Mispronouncing towns is fine. Everyone's done it at some time; the locals get a laugh out of it, you get to do the "doh, I'm an idiot" thing, sometimes people will show an interest in where you're actually from, or tell you a bit about the place, and generally it's a good time if everyone has a sense of humour about it.

Occasionally you find the odd arsehole who, despite actually living in an area for years, will insist on pronouncing names as they think it should be, as though the local thickos who live there have been getting it wrong the whole time. They can GTF. May they remain unaware of the piss content of their pints.

I got thoroughly laughed at when I first moved to Pontypridd, not knowing about the double d rule in Welsh.

There was some sympathy given when I noted I actually moved to Ynysybwl.

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not sure I could tell you what other countries passports look like tbh. 

I once saw a boy from Nepal whip his one out in the middle of Delhi airport. It unfolded for what seemed an eternity and in the end was about 6 foot long.

Spoiler

His passport was about the size of a C6 envelope though.

16 minutes ago, mathematics said:

I got thoroughly laughed at when I first moved to Pontypridd, not knowing about the double d rule in Welsh.

12 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

I once saw a boy from Nepal whip his one out in the middle of Delhi airport. It unfolded for what seemed an eternity

I swear Div's implemented that Brass Eye technique of releasing pheromones through keyboards.

People don't even realise they're doing it anymore!

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Spider_Man_meme.jpg

I lived in Beddau, about 3 miles from Pontypridd. Pronounced bathe-aw.

1 hour ago, mathematics said:

Pronounced "Yin Syllable"?

On butchered pronunciations of towns, a funny one is the Australian who thought Loughborough was pronounced Loog-a-bar-ooga, which kind of makes sense when you think of some of the places Down Under. A more relevant one to this thread is when the BBC (Main UK version) call Greenock Gren-ock, presumably because the only other place with a similar name is Greenwich. 

To move away from that, they've recently put an honours board type thing up in my school. One of them lists all the headteachers, but instead of having the year he started then a dash then leaving it blank for the engraver/stenciller/printer to add the years he leaves before adding his replacement's name underneath, they've only added a "Present" after the dash.

20230316_092212.thumb.jpg.fa04a2cf13e6ca1f980dafba5d331327.jpg

So when he does leave/retire/get a promotion, they'll have to remove that, making a mark that the more OCD amongst us (like me) will notice. No doubt they'll then use s different typeface when they add the new boss's name. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

I lived in Beddau, about 3 miles from Pontypridd. Pronounced bathe-aw.

There are Old Firm supporters on here - you'll have to explain how to pronounce 'bathe'.

24 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

On butchered pronunciations of towns, a funny one is the Australian who thought Loughborough was pronounced Loog-a-bar-ooga,

The comedian Dave Gorman tells people it's pronounced "Lowbrow", especially when they're asking about the college.

8 hours ago, BFTD said:

Mispronouncing towns is fine. Everyone's done it at some time; the locals get a laugh out of it, you get to do the "doh, I'm an idiot" thing, sometimes people will show an interest in where you're actually from, or tell you a bit about the place, and generally it's a good time if everyone has a sense of humour about it.

The girl from my work I mentioned even after us pronouncing Kirkcaldy correctly still says “kur-cal-dee” and I’m not sure if she’s taking the piss or genuinely thinks we’re wrong 

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

The girl from my work I mentioned even after us pronouncing Kirkcaldy correctly still says “kur-cal-dee” and I’m not sure if she’s taking the piss or genuinely thinks we’re wrong 

Let's be kind and assume she's a bit dim.

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

On butchered pronunciations of towns, a funny one is the Australian who thought Loughborough was pronounced Loog-a-bar-ooga, which kind of makes sense when you think of some of the places Down Under. A more relevant one to this thread is when the BBC (Main UK version) call Greenock Gren-ock, presumably because the only other place with a similar name is Greenwich. 

To move away from that, they've recently put an honours board type thing up in my school. One of them lists all the headteachers, but instead of having the year he started then a dash then leaving it blank for the engraver/stenciller/printer to add the years he leaves before adding his replacement's name underneath, they've only added a "Present" after the dash.

So when he does leave/retire/get a promotion, they'll have to remove that, making a mark that the more OCD amongst us (like me) will notice. No doubt they'll then use s different typeface when they add the new boss's name. 

Maybe he’s immortal.

3 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

That’s a given, since they’ve already messed up the spacing between the 1 and the 7 on the current and previous.

What's the problem here? Keep '2017 - PRESENT' the same, then the next head's tenure can be marked down as 'PRESENT - TODAY'.

It's a pity nobody thought to use this system back to the first head, as all those numbers just look messy.

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Maybe he’s immortal.

Well there is that possibility I guess.

6 hours ago, TxRover said:

That’s a given, since they’ve already messed up the spacing between the 1 and the 7 on the current and previous.

FFS! Things that once you've seen you can't unsee thread for this pish. Arrrggghh.

6 hours ago, BTFD said:

What's the problem here? Keep '2017 - PRESENT' the same, then the next head's tenure can be marked down as 'PRESENT - TODAY'.

It's a pity nobody thought to use this system back to the first head, as all those numbers just look messy.

You may be on to something there. Or not, it's too early.

The BBC's Andrew Thomson who broadcasts a Highland opt out on the wireless cannot pronounce percent. Hilariously Really annoyingly and continuingly, he instead chooses pisscent. I'm now aware of others who do the same.

Similar to c***s who stand right next to the baggage carousel at airports, c***s who after ordering in a fast food restaurant then stand right next to and block the pick up counter. Your triple burger and mega fries aren't coming any faster ya doss c**t.