Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

3 hours ago, Loonytoons said:

Malmaison are very poor tbh.

We specifically requested that we didn't get a Christmas menu for a works do in late November.

Two weeks before the meal, not only had they "upgraded" us to the Christmas menu but had slotted us into one of their private rooms.

Both at added cost obviously.

We cancelled.

We walked in without a reservation for lunch, it wasn't busy so they sat us down and said someone would be with us shortly for a drinks order. We sat for nearly 15 minutes without service before walking out.

Foolishly on our part we gave them another chance months later, had the same experience, and walked out again.

45 minutes ago, velo army said:

When I worked at TGI's the waiters got to keep all tips, so it motivated us to provide excellent service. Being able to make £100 odd at the end of a shift (which, when added to basic wage meant about £15-20 per hour) kept the energy up and meant that we were super keen to look after our guests. 

We had service standards and a very well laid out way of guest care that started when they came through the door and ended just as they left. It meant that the only way you provided poor service was that you didn't care, rather than any lack of knowledge. So training and a corporate culture of customer care is a big part of it.

I did notice an increasingly dreadful work ethic coming from the younger ones. Our manager was a creepy cvnt, so would hire a load of 19 year old Aberdonian lassies who were, to a quine, more interested in whatever shite was happening on their phones than actually doing any work. The number of times I'd remind them to clear the fucking table before taking a payment was infuriating. 

The other thing is pay and conditions. Some places massively take the piss both with hours, breaks and tips. Having to share your tips with a'body (even managers) makes it very dispiriting. I can't emphasise enough how exhausting hospitality work is. It's why I don't do it anymore. I'm a fit guy, but I'd be too shattered on days off to do anything, couldn't play 5's, golf, running or anything that wasn't sitting on my couch. Any more than 35 hours per week and I'd be an absolute waste of space too. 

So aye, I'm sorry you had a shite experience. Crappy pay and conditions leads to a shite experience for a'body.

I worked in hospitality for a couple of years when I was 21/22, and my old boss from back then would be spinning in his grave at things like this. I still hold places to the standard I was taught 20 years on.

It doesn't ruin our experience tbh, as I said we don't expect too much and occasionally we're surprised and impressed when somewhere gives excellent service (Dakota in Queensferry a recent example). Just a shame that this is the exception and not the rule.

1 hour ago, Zetterlund said:

I worked in hospitality for a couple of years when I was 21/22, and my old boss from back then would be spinning in his grave at things like this. I still hold places to the standard I was taught 20 years on.

It doesn't ruin our experience tbh, as I said we don't expect too much and occasionally we're surprised and impressed when somewhere gives excellent service (Dakota in Queensferry a recent example). Just a shame that this is the exception and not the rule.

Maybe we should pay everyone a living wage. 

12 hours ago, Shotgun said:

My local fitba team, the Colorado Rapids (57 miles door to door) have just released their kit for the upcoming season. Over the years, I've seen them play in every shirt-short-socks combination of burgundy-white and white-burgundy and it looks smart as. Yet for some reason, they insist on shoehorning sky blue into the mix. Here's  the latest effort.

lfgno819ldqobjvp3jnv.jpg 

Now, no offence to the fans of West Ham, Burnley or Aston Villa (OK, maybe just a little) but burgundy, maroon, claret or whatever you call it, does NOT look good with sky blue. Nobody will convince me otherwise.

Somebody should do something.

My bedroom is painted in those colours, except the sky blue is on top and the maroon on the bottom with a contrasting painted white chair rail separating them.  It gets a lot of compliments and rightly so.  

4 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Just realised there that I hadn't looked at the Superbowl score from last night so clicked on the Superbowl thread. Big mistake. Met with a page full of posts just saying "Doink". Strange breed these American Sports fans.

I'd say fitba fans are worse. A lot of them seem to get bizarrely annoyed by the fact other sports exist. 

500 ml coke bottles. Unscrew the cap and it doesn't come cleanly away from the plastic collar. The wee ring ends up with a long, jaggy bit sticking out, ready to turn your gums into ground beef. 

This has happened a few times to me in recent weeks. 

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

500 ml coke bottles. Unscrew the cap and it doesn't come cleanly away from the plastic collar. The wee ring ends up with a long, jaggy bit sticking out, ready to turn your gums into ground beef. 

Is that not the new style bottles that are supposed to keep the lid attached to the plastic collar to prevent littering ? 

Just now, Arthur daley said:

Is that not the new style bottles that are supposed to keep the lid attached to the plastic collar to prevent littering ? 

If so, it hasn't worked. My Samson-like strength has defeated the cunning weasels in charge of the Coca Cola company. 

Why would anyone want to drink out of the bottle with the cap smacking you at the same time? Madness. 

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Mods, please.........................!

@scottsdad, Mrs.F_P complaining bitterly about this last week. I assume these are the more 'recycling friendly' caps that are bothering you ?

Had a gas engineer booked to repair our boiler in the caravan,booked this 3 weeks ago as I needed to be there and am on holiday today.

The engineer called to say he cannot do the job as he is not LPG compliant and valiant gave him the job in error,I now have to go down tomorrow on my birthday when I had other things planned.

Just now, scottsdad said:

If so, it hasn't worked. My Samson-like strength has defeated the cunning weasels in charge of the Coca Cola company. 

Why would anyone want to drink out of the bottle with the cap smacking you at the same time? Madness. 

Yeh I fell for it the first time I had one and ripped it off (easy now )thinking it was just stuck .  

15 hours ago, hk blues said:

My bedroom is painted in those colours, except the sky blue is on top and the maroon on the bottom with a contrasting painted white chair rail separating them.  It gets a lot of compliments and rightly so.  

What is the matter with you?