Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I've probably ranted about this before, just back from walking the dog on a reasonably popular walking trail with signs all over it saying "keep dogs on leads".

Obviously doesn't apply to glakit middle aged women with wee yappy ankle biters, had to pick my dog up to stop her ankle biter becoming my dogs dinner.

On 04/02/2023 at 11:24, Boghead ranter said:

Us, indirectly, I think.

Jusy yesterday there was some English expert on something being interviewed on Radio Scotland Drivetime. At one point the presenter cracked "you know how it is, it's always bad weather up here".

Well no, it isn't, but if even Scots keep saying that kind of thing, how are non Scots going to believe any different?

"You'll be used to all this rain i suppose? Being from Scotland- ha ha ha." 

"Actually the East coast of Scotland is one of the driest regions of the UK because of the mountains taking the brunt of the prevailing westerlies and causing a rain shadow. So, erm, no." 

The above exchange, or similar has happened at least half a dozen times with me. 

See also, ordering any salad or vegetables when eating out. 

Can't think where the dour stereotype comes from though. 

39 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I've probably ranted about this before, just back from walking the dog on a reasonably popular walking trail with signs all over it saying "keep dogs on leads".

Obviously doesn't apply to glakit middle aged women with wee yappy ankle biters, had to pick my dog up to stop her ankle biter becoming my dogs dinner.

Can't beat a bit of malamute prey drive for scaring the owners of 'rat-in-a-dugsuit' type yappers.

3 hours ago, Empty It said:

Similarly when I’m out for a run, people have dogs off lead and I get a metre away then their stupid daft dog decides to jump/run infront of me. No problem with the dogs being off the lead just a bit of awareness from the owner would be nice. 

10 hours ago, Empty It said:

Too bad you don’t live here…

https://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.com/collections/dog-repelling-stun-guns

10 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Similarly when I’m out for a run, people have dogs off lead and I get a metre away then their stupid daft dog decides to jump/run infront of me. No problem with the dogs being off the lead just a bit of awareness from the owner would be nice. 

If I'm out with mutt and someone approaching running/cycling I call Shug in until person passes. Basic manners. Same with small kids.......passing with dog or running free 🤣

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Washed the car yesterday. A neighbour was out walking her dog. As she passed she jokingly said "you can wash mine too" 

Jeezo. Is there a lower form of conversation? 

It's down there with people telling window cleaners, "You've missed a bit!"

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Washed the car yesterday. A neighbour was out walking her dog. As she passed she jokingly said "you can wash mine too" 

Jeezo. Is there a lower form of conversation? 

Sounds like a code…should have told her you have a special on doing the headlights and scrubbing the undercarriage…

16 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I rarely let my dog off lead as I'm not 100% with his recall, only when the path is dead with just us two on it. Whenever I see a runner or cyclist I am well out of their way.

6 hours ago, RH33 said:

If I'm out with mutt and someone approaching running/cycling I call Shug in until person passes. Basic manners. Same with small kids.......passing with dog or running free 🤣

1 hour ago, KD1711 said:

I rarely let my dog off lead as I'm not 100% with his recall, only when the path is dead with just us two on it. Whenever I see a runner or cyclist I am well out of their way.

You both sound far more responsible than those I have to deal with on a daily basis 😂 

Lockdown was the worst, full families of 8+ people taking up the full path then looking at like you’ve got 2 heads when you’re trying to squeeze past. Not like they’d seen me approaching from 50 metres away 

5 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

You both sound far more responsible than those I have to deal with on a daily basis 😂 

Lockdown was the worst, full families of 8+ people taking up the full path then looking at like you’ve got 2 heads when you’re trying to squeeze past. Not like they’d seen me approaching from 50 metres away 

I do a lot of running and stay next to the Derwent Walk in Gateshead which is where I do a lot of my running and while I like dogs it is annoying when stuff like that happens, whenever I'm out with my mate running and they run at him he goes mad at the owners as he hates big dogs.

Had once incident when I was training my dog off lead and two runners ran by with a dog and he ended up running after them, he didn't go for the dog or jump at the runners but didn't want to run the risk of that ever happening again as it's embarrassing and folk will rightly be pissed off, I've got a german shepherd which is a big dog too.

On 04/02/2023 at 11:19, Dons_1988 said:

Family occasion this weekend and my sister has friends visiting from London. 

less than 24 hours in and already had several ‘haha irn bru, haha shortbread, haha tartan’ on many occasions. 

Who teaches them this patter and why do they think it’s funny? 

Been living in England for years and years and you get this chat all the time. I don't mind a good slagging, but come on to f**k.

The missus' cretinous step-brother says 'Oooh, lock up your shortbread! HAHAHAHAHAHA!' pretty much every time we visit him.

All the more puzzling when you consider that the English equivalent to pretty much any Scottish thing they like to slag off is much more of a fucking beamer.

For example, next time an English person does their daft impression of ceilidh dancing, ask the c**t how his Morris dancing is.

Edited by VincentGuerin