Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

12 hours ago, StellarHibee said:

You'd be as well ripping them to FLAC then, rather than MP3. Hard Drive space (and even Solid State now) are so cheap and it future proofs your collection. Ripping to a lossy format is pointless and defeats the purpose of purchasing CDs in the first place.

You have no idea how big my cd collection is and that I copied them 8/10 years ago.

Life is too short to go through all that again. 😂

Cassettes had a special place in our hearts. What else could you use in the 70's and 80's to tape music off the radio? Including music you'd never find in the local record shops. Plus the joys of tape trading with friends.

Yep back in the days of recording from MW and then FM radio.

I don't see the point in paying more for FLAC if I don't have the equipment to get the best out of it.

On most systems available you would not notice the difference.

On future proofing, nothing is future proof. The biggest threat to buying or listening to music files are streaming sites, Spotify, Amazon, Tidal.

Solid format's seem safe if the manufacturers of the equipment used to play them keep making them, plus there is a large 2nd hand market which will be around for decades.

3 hours ago, approximately dave said:

I don't see the point in paying more for FLAC if I don't have the equipment to get the best out of it.

On most systems available you would not notice the difference.

On future proofing, nothing is future proof. The biggest threat to buying or listening to music files are streaming sites, Spotify, Amazon, Tidal.

Solid format's seem safe if the manufacturers of the equipment used to play them keep making them, plus there is a large 2nd hand market which will be around for decades.

That’s the problem though, they can disappear and you don’t notice. We have that a lot at work where people haven’t preserved stuff that’s on a disc and there are fewer CD/DVDs out there now, so people run the risk of losing access, without realising it’s already too late.

Solid formats are probably just as bad for loss as digital formats are, much more vulnerable to damage, theft, loss through accident etc. 

7 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

That’s the problem though, they can disappear and you don’t notice. We have that a lot at work where people haven’t preserved stuff that’s on a disc and there are fewer CD/DVDs out there now, so people run the risk of losing access, without realising it’s already too late.

Solid formats are probably just as bad for loss as digital formats are, much more vulnerable to damage, theft, loss through accident etc. 

Its a case of looking after the backups as well as the original.

I also back up my back ups so if one external hard drive gets damaged then its just the hard drive, I don't lose the contents.

I'm sure this will open up another debate, external hard drive vs cloud in 2022, minter!

Any VM broadband people internetless just now? Seeing loads of folk with Glasgow and Ayrshire postcodes moaning about it and mine is also pumped in the Clyde Riviera. 

It's interrupted my work by which I mean binge watching Netflix shit while moving the mouse every 10 minutes. 

3 hours ago, approximately dave said:

Its a case of looking after the backups as well as the original.

I also back up my back ups so if one external hard drive gets damaged then its just the hard drive, I don't lose the contents.

I'm sure this will open up another debate, external hard drive vs cloud in 2022, minter!

I found out the hard way after dropping my external drive and knackering it. A data recovery company was unable to to anything with it.

The new Flash Scores app requires me to press 'back' twice to go back and to press 'home' twice to exit the app. I have been unable to work out for what purpose they've doubled the number of clicks required to navigate the app and it is mildly irritating.

17 minutes ago, Soapy FFC said:

I found out the hard way after dropping my external drive and knackering it. A data recovery company was unable to to anything with it.

I've broken an expensive 4TB via gravity- HD meet floor at speed and this while in use. Something broke inside that rattled and the drive f***ed. On another occasion I disconnected a 2TB by accident by catching the cable with a finger by just being clumsy, again damaged the drive. So I back everything up twice and I'm extremely careful with external hard drives.

Edited by approximately dave

4 hours ago, approximately dave said:

I've broken an expensive 4TB via gravity- HD meet floor at speed and this while in use. Something broke inside that rattled and the drive f***ed. On another occasion I disconnected a 2TB by accident by catching the cable with a finger by just being clumsy, again damaged the drive. So I back everything up twice and I'm extremely careful with external hard drives.

That’s what I meant earlier though. What about when they start making computers which don’t have say a USB ports that they can be connected to because the computer moves to USB C or something and you don’t notice? Or the file types can no longer be opened due to file types no longer being supported?

We had a unit that had older equipment so that old media could be accessed. Lots of people had old floppy discs and CDs they could no longer access as their new computers no longer have disc drives of any variety. 

If you want to preserve them then you need to take some care to maintain them, checking the files can be opened, maybe saving them into new formats if needed. Just backing it up twice and leaving it isn’t enough.