Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Heard some arsehole from Aberdeen on the radio earlier. Not sure if it was councillor or MP or some local business tit.

He was talking about the state of shopping in the city and crying about sales being down and said that the Scottish government need to end working from home and get everyone back to the office.

Just get fucked you little c**t. Working from home is here to stay, despite p***ks like him greeting about it. Forcing folk back to offices, something the government can't do anyone, won't end well and the potential small uplift in sales won't be worth the massive increase in mental health problems that it would bring.

All the scumbags greeting about folk working from home need to get over it and accept it. 

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Heard some arsehole from Aberdeen on the radio earlier. Not sure if it was councillor or MP or some local business tit.

He was talking about the state of shopping in the city and crying about sales being down and said that the Scottish government need to end working from home and get everyone back to the office.

Just get fucked you little c**t. Working from home is here to stay, despite p***ks like him greeting about it. Forcing folk back to offices, something the government can't do anyone, won't end well and the potential small uplift in sales won't be worth the massive increase in mental health problems that it would bring.

All the scumbags greeting about folk working from home need to get over it and accept it. 

Probably a Tory 

Perhaps sales are down because nobody's got any money thanks to your party, ya welt.

I know, politics forum for this pish.

19 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Probably a Tory 

Perhaps sales are down because nobody's got any money thanks to your party, ya welt.

I know, politics forum for this pish.

Probably.

On the same show some Labour lad was saying that zero hour contracts should be banned. Fully agree. Then he said it would be hard for those on zero hour contracts when they went for a mortgage...

What fucking world do these politicians live in?! No one on a zero hours contract will have the funds available for a deposit, unless they live with parents and have pretty much no outgoings. Even still, given the nature of zero hour contracts, no lenders will be giving anyone a mortgage based on them.

6 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I was thinking about wfh the other day, I wonder how many people have been able to re-enter the workforce because of the growth in it.

A combination of my kids ages and mental health means I a) couldn't afford work ft and b) couldn't cope ft in office. But I'm now 9 months into wfh roles and really enjoying it. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

b7f.gif.9ccbb69c6ad5051c0c5cf578a7008bc8.gif

There are enough valid reasons to bin full-time office posts without having to resort to this nonsense. 

You might be right as a rule, but don't underestimate the impact of me going about with a face that would turn milk has on others.

23 minutes ago, virginton said:

b7f.gif.9ccbb69c6ad5051c0c5cf578a7008bc8.gif

There are enough valid reasons to bin full-time office posts without having to resort to this nonsense. 

Just because you may not have experienced it doesn't mean it isn't an issue for many. I've seen plenty of discussion where folk have indicated that being forced back full time in to an office would be detrimental to their mental health.

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

Just because you may not have experienced it doesn't mean it isn't an issue for many. I've seen plenty of discussion where folk have indicated that being forced back full time in to an office would be detrimental to their mental health.

And I've seen plenty of discussion where folk cite mental health in any debate like it's some unimpeachable trump card. 

Given that, err, working from home was also being cited as a mental health emergency just two years ago, I think we can file both mutually exclusive claims in the bin. 

Just now, virginton said:

And I've seen plenty of discussion where folk cite mental health in any debate like it's some unimpeachable trump card. 

Given that, err, working from home was also being cited as a mental health emergency just two years ago, I think we can file both mutually exclusive claims in the bin. 

No, we can't and won't.

15 minutes ago, virginton said:

Some people get stressed because they WFH and don't want to, some because they aren't WFH and they do want to - is that so hard to understand? So long as your employer is happy for you to do whichever suits you (and them) what's the issue?

1 hour ago, scw1987 said:

Some people get stressed because they WFH and don't want to, some because they aren't WFH and they do want to - is that so hard to understand? So long as your employer is happy for you to do whichever suits you (and them) what's the issue?

Convenience is not a legitimate mental health prevention measure that any organisation should be  obliged to recognise. 

The decrease in people working in offices is probably permanent and whoever was on talking about it from retail is right, it will have a significant impact on a lot of businesses.  When I worked in the middle of Edinburgh almost all the business around where I worked relied on office staff and several of them have closed down - a couple of cafes and little restaurants near where I worked are now empty, a few pubs have also shut their doors in the last few years.  It's going to make a lot of town and city centres even shitter than they are now, these places made working in the city great, you could go out for a drink after work or go and have a meeting in a coffee shop or get lunch with your team in a good little restaurant.

My own work have mandated that we are in the office at least two days a week, managers have to be in more.  That seems fair to me, they are pretty flexible about what you do and how you manage it.  I am lucky in my employer though.

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Allan "Hendo" Henderson.

Seems to be one of these mouth on a stick go to guys for BBC Radio Scotland

24 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The decrease in people working in offices is probably permanent and whoever was on talking about it from retail is right, it will have a significant impact on a lot of businesses.  When I worked in the middle of Edinburgh almost all the business around where I worked relied on office staff and several of them have closed down - a couple of cafes and little restaurants near where I worked are now empty, a few pubs have also shut their doors in the last few years.  It's going to make a lot of town and city centres even shitter than they are now, these places made working in the city great, you could go out for a drink after work or go and have a meeting in a coffee shop or get lunch with your team in a good little restaurant.

My own work have mandated that we are in the office at least two days a week, managers have to be in more.  That seems fair to me, they are pretty flexible about what you do and how you manage it.  I am lucky in my employer though.

Mixed use developments have been common place over the years in Asia particularly where space is an issue (which makes it easier to plan and develop). I guess we will likely see more and more mixed use developments over the years to facility the need of a more focused home/work balance.

44 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The transition to a more hybrid way of working was always likely to happen in the longer term, but the big bang nature of the switch to largely or even primarily WFH definitely caught a lot of businesses on the hop. The larger and more agile ones were more likely to have contigency plans in place, but it's likely a lot of smaller businesses and a fair amount of the city centre hospitality industry are doomed in the longer term.

The genie's out the bottle now though, and regardless of how hard the 2019 Re-enactment Society like yer man from Aberdeen rage about getting everything back to "normal" it's not going back in. When the internal combustion engine came on the scene in a big way I'm sure there were a lot of blacksmiths and horse breeders fuming about how it was likely to put them out of business, but longer term that didn't make any difference either.

Edited by Hillonearth

13 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

The transition to a more hybrid way of working was always likely to happen in the longer term, but the big bang nature of the switch to largely or even primarily WFH definitely caught a lot of businesses on the hop. The larger and more agile ones were more likely to have contigency plans in place, but it's likely a lot of smaller businesses and a fair amount of the city centre hospitality industry are doomed in the longer term.

The genie's out the bottle now though, and regardless of how hard the 2019 Re-enactment Society like yer man from Aberdeen rage about getting everything back to "normal" it's not going back in. When the internal combustion engine came on the scene in a big way I'm sure there were a lot of blacksmiths and horse breeders fuming about how it was likely to put them out of business, but longer term that didn't make any difference either.

On the flip side, the cafes and coffee shops in the outlying business district near my house are thriving. There are more independents here although the big chains are represented, but it’s not a desert with only Starbucks and Pret like most city centres. I expect the council’s issue is the lower rates outside the centre.