Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

7 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

These 'Kerry wheechit' folks were cunning in staircase construction.

My ancestors: The curious case of the left-handed Kerrs – The Lance (lhslance.org)

Only about 15% of the population is left-handed, so how has my family managed to keep this uncommon trait? 

Inbreeding.

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

Thanks for the reassurance. When they mentioned it I had visions of hair loss and throwing up all the time but that's chemotherapy. They did tell me the possible side-effects which included feeling tired. Because it's my leg they have to make a sort of cast first to make sure it's in the same position every time but after that it should be quick enough as you say. (No, Kenneth, not appropriate!)

They put dots on my skin to make sure the dose was going to the right location. They spent more time adjusting the machine and bed to the correct position than the actual treatment.

(Of course, it's important that the dosage goes to the right spot, I'm not complaining about that - I just found it mildly amusing that they had to go through all that flaffing about every time, you'd think after the first session they would have a record of where you were positioned.)

10 hours ago, GordonD said:

As I've said elsewhere I had a tumour removed from my leg at the end of September. Still looks as if I was bitten by a shark and now I've to go for radiotherapy in the New Year. Every weekday for a month.

Greenied because it sounds like things are moving forward, Gordon. Not because you have to spend January having radiotherapy - that sounds crap.

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Greenied because it sounds like things are moving forward, Gordon. Not because you have to spend January having radiotherapy - that sounds crap.

They are moving forward. I've been going to have the dressing changed once a week but today the nurse said the wound was fully healed (still looks like a shark bite, but they're the experts) and I didn't need to go any more. I have an appointment to see the original surgeon next week so assuming he agrees it's healed the next step is the radiotherapy. Not looking forward to it but then it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

19 minutes ago, GordonD said:

They are moving forward. I've been going to have the dressing changed once a week but today the nurse said the wound was fully healed (still looks like a shark bite, but they're the experts) and I didn't need to go any more. I have an appointment to see the original surgeon next week so assuming he agrees it's healed the next step is the radiotherapy. Not looking forward to it but then it could have been a hell of a lot worse.

Once your therapy is finished, you really should go around telling folk it is a shark bite. They'll gaze on you with wonder.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Weatherman on BBC News not wearing a tie and looking like he's off for his Christmas night out instead. Are there no fucking standards anywhere anymore?

Said this before I think, but even though it would look a bit weird, it irks me that the weatherman 'dresses down' for Countryfile (into jeans and checked shirt) between suited-up appearances for the main news.

5 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Booked a table to watch the football

This is my view 

Now I know how away fans feel visiting Parkhead

FF914942-4DED-4543-80D1-0580113314DC.jpeg

Semi interesting night 

Some guy was standing directly in front of the TV, a few people complained, he pulled out a warrant cart as he was a police officer, he ended up getting chucked out the pub 

On 09/12/2022 at 01:05, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

These 'Kerry wheechit' folks were cunning in staircase construction.

My ancestors: The curious case of the left-handed Kerrs – The Lance (lhslance.org)

Ferniehirst used to be open to the public and I went on a guided tour years ago.

The owner is the Marquis of Lothian otherwise known as Michael Ancram whom older readers will remember as one of the Scottish Tory MPs in the 1980s. He met us and was a nice enough chap (IIRC Ancram was fairly centrist for a Tory). Anyway because he'd been NI Secretary he was given a state bodyguard - a nice but tough looking army type on the gates who waved at us.

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Semi interesting night 

Some guy was standing directly in front of the TV, a few people complained, he pulled out a warrant cart as he was a police officer, he ended up getting chucked out the pub 

Was he a mountie?

10 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Semi interesting night 

@DHOTYA.

World Cup 2022: TikTok brings football fever to millions of fans - BBC News

But, just like the football, not everything goes to plan on TikTok either.

"There was a point [in the group stage] where Japan and Costa Rica were going to knock Spain and Germany out. I was getting ready to film a TikTok and was so excited - and then Spain went through," Alice says.

Junior adds: "I think all content creators felt the same in those 60 seconds - like yes, content!"

Showcasing positive elements of the World Cup on TikTok are a contrast to some of the human rights controversies surrounding the tournament.

Alice admits that she went into the World Cup with a viewpoint that was "quite negative".

Qatar has been criticised for its ban on same-sex relationships and its treatment of migrant workers.

"But then I see people like Ben out in Qatar capturing footage of the stadiums and the vibes," she adds.