Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 04/11/2022 at 14:34, Bairnardo said:

I had occasion to be in Waitrose earlier.

It's not like I didn't know what the place was about before, but f**k me that must be the snobbiest environment iv ever set foot in.

One was in the same shop Friday morning..

Shopping left in Lidl bag for life bags....

Idiots in shops. Behind someone in the shop yesterday. For his purchase he requested a bag. And his purchase was a multiple bag of crisps.

So he has 6 individually wrapped bag of crisps, which have been conveniently wrapped together in a larger sealed bag, and he wanted a bag to carry that. Only when advised they only had bags for life at a pound, which was as much as the crisps did he decide he had the ability to carry the shopping without further bag, and walked away muttering. 

15 hours ago, MEADOWXI said:

Idiots in shops. Behind someone in the shop yesterday. For his purchase he requested a bag. And his purchase was a multiple bag of crisps.

So he has 6 individually wrapped bag of crisps, which have been conveniently wrapped together in a larger sealed bag, and he wanted a bag to carry that. Only when advised they only had bags for life at a pound, which was as much as the crisps did he decide he had the ability to carry the shopping without further bag, and walked away muttering. 

To be fair, if he had other shopping etc to do I don't blame him for wanting to put his crisps in a bag. 

Scottish people, living in Scotland, who support an English team.

Meh. Doesn't really bother me. I don't think you can really "support" a side from that distance but you can certainly be a fan. I visited family in Guisborough when I was younger, one of whom supported Middlesbrough and I can always mind passing the stadium on those holidays. Combine that with me having memories watching them on the tele and thinking how shite they were (therefore rooting for them) it meant I always looked for their results growing up. As I got older I travelled down to games when I could and continue to watch them on tele when I can.

If Queens went bust I don't think I'd find the same bond with another side in Scotland and would likely just take in local lower league games. I'd likely start travelling to every Boro game I could once my kids fly the nest.

I do agree with you in regards to folk clinging on to the big sides down the road. It's not much but I can trace why I like Boro which is far more than the usual "Cuz they win" when you ask someone why they "support" Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea et al.

The "nextdoor" app. Long since deleted and I have no idea why I ever downloaded it, but still bombards me witg emails despite unsubscribing each time.

Every email seems to contain a preview of some shitpost where some local w**k is telling other local wanks to BE AWEAR!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Signmakers for shops. 

Surely a grasp of the use of the apostrophe should be part of the required skillset. 

The whole thread could be based on people getting their own language wrong. Why, for example, does it seem like roughly 40% of the population don't  know the difference between did and done and when to use them? And why have generations of useless teachers failed miserably at teaching such a basic awareness?

2 minutes ago, Delicate Flower said:

The whole thread could be based on people getting their own language wrong. Why, for example, does it seem like roughly 40% of the population don't  know the difference between did and done and when to use them? And why have generations of useless teachers failed miserably at teaching such a basic awareness?

A large chunk of that population in all likelihood do know the difference but don't care about it. The informal use of language trumps grammar structure in most living languages. 

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

A large chunk of that population in all likelihood do know the difference but don't care about it. The informal use of language trumps grammar structure in most living languages. 

Lazy about language, lazy about life. Hence the breakdown of society and reemergence of widespread ill behaviour. Language structure encourages societal structure. In my opinion.

The word "are" seems to be vanishing, as does the adverbial form of words.

1 hour ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Signmakers for shops. 

Surely a grasp of the use of the apostrophe should be part of the required skillset. 

Surely that's a case of them doing what the customer has asked for. If the customer is an illiterate twat then it's not really up to the signwriter to point that out.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The "nextdoor" app. Long since deleted and I have no idea why I ever downloaded it, but still bombards me witg emails despite unsubscribing each time.

Every email seems to contain a preview of some shitpost where some local w**k is telling other local wanks to BE AWEAR!!!!!!

Create a rule for them so they are filed right in the bin.