Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, throbber said:

People with private Twitter accounts.

I've got one of them, I only joined so I can be rude to complete strangers without any comeback. I've never actually looked at my own page, not too sure how it works tbh.

1 hour ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Lewis Capaldi, his shtick was moderately funny at first, but now he's like annoying pal who thinks he's funny and you ignore

Did you see him on BBC Breakfast recently 'joking' with Naga Munchetty? He seemed to be off his tits on something, unless he's always like that (or always off his tits on something).

Got steaming yesterday, for most folk that's a reason to be cheerful, but I'm a recovering alcoholic and went 2 and half years sober,
Was ment to be going up to Montrose yesterday but plans changed last minute so smart arse me thought seen as I'm in town ill have a pint, I can have just 1, how wrong was I, can vaguely mind getting home last night
Never mind eh, what time do pubs open on a Sunday.

I have lapsed/relapsed many many times. Do not beat yourself up.
I just currently hit 8 months, which probably my longest sober run yet!

Feel free to pm if you want.

11 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Got steaming yesterday, for most folk that's a reason to be cheerful, but I'm a recovering alcoholic and went 2 and half years sober,
Was ment to be going up to Montrose yesterday but plans changed last minute so smart arse me thought seen as I'm in town ill have a pint, I can have just 1, how wrong was I, can vaguely mind getting home last night
Never mind eh, what time do pubs open on a Sunday.

I am also a recovering alcoholic with five and a half years soberiety.

I lapsed many, many times before this current period of sobriety. I often fell into the trap of thinking that I could only have one, and it took me a long time to realise that I cannot drink at all. I hated the person I had become through drinking. I was a pathetic and empty shell of myself. It took me to get to that point to stop.

Lapsing is part of the process, so don't beat yourself up too much about it. I used to go to AA meetings and did not agree with the catastrophising and shame about lapsing that was common place in the meetings I attended. Lapses do happen and can happen after any period of time. It's the nature of our condition. Lapsing does not mean you have failed. It's a learning experience. I wish you well, and hope you manage to stop again. 

Take care.

I am also a recovering alcoholic with five and a half years soberiety.
I lapsed many, many times before this current period of sobriety. I often fell into the trap of thinking that I could only have one, and it took me a long time to realise that I cannot drink at all. I hated the person I had become through drinking. I was a pathetic and empty shell of myself. It took me to get to that point to stop.
Lapsing is part of the process, so don't beat yourself up too much about it. I used to go to AA meetings and did not agree with the catastrophising and shame about lapsing that was common place in the meetings I attended. Lapses do happen and can happen after any period of time. It's the nature of our condition. Lapsing does not mean you have failed. It's a learning experience. I wish you well, and hope you manage to stop again. 
Take care.
Thanks mate, more gutted that I succumbed on a whim yesterday to have a pint,and thinking I could just have 1 or 2, was steaming before I knew it after having about 8,
Soberity started again today, I also went to AA meetings but they weren't for me, awful lot of judgemental folk there and the wee prayer they say at the end was enough for me not to go back,

Just now, Amarillo Bairn said:

Thanks mate, more gutted that I succumbed on a whim yesterday to have a pint,and thinking I could just have 1 or 2, was steaming before I knew it after having about 8,
Soberity started again today, I also went to AA meetings but they weren't for me, awful lot of judgemental folk there and the wee prayer they say at the end was enough for me not to go back,

That's a familiar story for me. Every "1 or 2 drinks" turned into a drinking session for me, because I could never stop. I would drink until I was sick or until I passed out.

During my first period of sobriety I went to a lot of AA meetings and after two years I became disillusioned and unhappy within it and ended up drinking again.

The prayer and higher power thing never sat well with me, but I stuck it out for two years because I did not know that other ways were possible. Plus I could be a horrible b*****d when I was drinking and felt I had to pay a penance for it.

It took me nearly eight years to stop for a substantial period of time again. At the start of this period of sobriety, I did briefly return to AA but stopped after a few weeks and have done it mostly by myself this time.

Absolutely key to my sobriety is that I have never forgotten why I stopped drinking. I ended up in some very dangerous situations. I hated the person I was. I used to be someone who would not be invited to events because I would get drunk and behave like a p***k. My own family used to be ashamed of me because of the states I would get in. I was someone who could not be relied on. Now I am no longer any of those things. I have become someone my family are proud of.

I know you're gutted - I would be too - but the fact you are starting your sobriety again so soon is a positive. I am glad you didn't take eight years to start sobriety again like I did. 

Good luck and be kind to yourself. Feel free to message if you want. 

On 12/10/2022 at 21:05, DiegoDiego said:
On 12/10/2022 at 09:06, GordonD said:
Nestle's. For most of my life it was "Nessels" then it suddenly became "Ness-lay".

How old are you? It's been pronounced NESS-lay for as long as I can remember.

Was always Nessels when I was growing up.

4 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

That's a familiar story for me. Every "1 or 2 drinks" turned into a drinking session for me, because I could never stop. I would drink until I was sick or until I passed out.

During my first period of sobriety I went to a lot of AA meetings and after two years I became disillusioned and unhappy within it and ended up drinking again.

The prayer and higher power thing never sat well with me, but I stuck it out for two years because I did not know that other ways were possible. Plus I could be a horrible b*****d when I was drinking and felt I had to pay a penance for it.

It took me nearly eight years to stop for a substantial period of time again. At the start of this period of sobriety, I did briefly return to AA but stopped after a few weeks and have done it mostly by myself this time.

Absolutely key to my sobriety is that I have never forgotten why I stopped drinking. I ended up in some very dangerous situations. I hated the person I was. I used to be someone who would not be invited to events because I would get drunk and behave like a p***k. My own family used to be ashamed of me because of the states I would get in. I was someone who could not be relied on. Now I am no longer any of those things. I have become someone my family are proud of.

I know you're gutted - I would be too - but the fact you are starting your sobriety again so soon is a positive. I am glad you didn't take eight years to start sobriety again like I did. 

Good luck and be kind to yourself. Feel free to message if you want. 

AA is the bane of many, found this after a quick lookie…

https://www.addiction.org.uk/alternatives-to-alcoholics-anonymous/

and this:

https://www.uk-rehab.com/treatment-rehab/therapy/five-alternatives-to-12-step-meetings/

Can’t testify on any of it, but in my previous job I worked with a number of heavy drinkers who had to find ways to control their behavior and almost every one was able to find a group that filled their needs without them having to hold their noses. It’s a shit problem, and often seems there’s no good options, but there are ways. Glad to hear you finally found a way!

6 hours ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

the wee prayer they say at the end was enough for me not to go back,

I have no experience with any groups or 12-step programs. But as an atheist, the 'higher power' concept of AA always bugged me. Google seems to bring up a lot of secular programs in the US. Or a few in Ireland (which, of all the places, seems odd to me but hey ho) I did find this Sober Without God website. The link says they have a Monday 8pm UK Time meeting via zoom.

You might find it helpful. You might not. You could patch it all together and remain sober for many years. You could attend weekly meetings and find a supportive community. Who knows? The main thing I have heard from many friends, struggling with all types of addiction, is that progress isn't linear. 

Upticks, letdowns, highs and lows, progress and the other days; it is all part of your journey. Do not judge yourself too harshly for setbacks. Sobriety started the next day and one day it will stick and be permanent. I wish you well on your journey.

9 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Was always Nessels when I was growing up.

Thanks for proving my point but that particular advert deserves to be confined to the pits of hell because the Milky Bar Kid is and always has been a cowboy, not an astronaut.

14 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Thanks for proving my point but that particular advert deserves to be confined to the pits of hell because the Milky Bar Kid is and always has been a cowboy, not an astronaut.

There are plenty more on YouTube featuring the cowboy and the Nessels pronunciation. 

This ones for @kingjoey

David Bowie.

Always said as Bow (as in bow to the king) ee, now they different Bow (archer and bow) ee.

What is correct, and can I add if it's not that I think, you can also f**k off.

Edited by SlipperyP

13 hours ago, Oystercatcher said:

Last week I said one of the reasons I enjoyed pie and Bovril was the lack of empathy.

The replies to @Amarillo Bairn are absolutely superb and another reason that this message board is fantastic.

It's like real life. I could sit with a bunch of mates and we'd be savaging each other but if we were talking about our health (or anything else as serious), then we'd be really supportive of each other. It's wonderful. 

As I was typing, I remembered a saying I heard recently. Men say horrible things to each other but don't mean it. Women say nice things to each other but don't mean it.