Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Leachkin in Inverness being pronounced "Larkin". If they want Gaelic pronunciation why don't they just use the Gaelic name, An Leacainn?

Larkin isn't Gaelic pronunciation.

Leachkin is a pretty decent phonetic rendering of the Gaelic including the preaspirated c at the end of leac 

1. My car’s broken down and I’m currently sitting at a traffic light, waiting for a tow. 

2. I’m bursting for a whizz. 

3. Despite there being 2 lanes and despite me having the bonnet up and the hazards on, it’s amazing how many people are pulling up right behind me, then leaning on their horns when I don’t move on the green light. 

Each of these is less petty than the one before. 

9 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

1. My car’s broken down and I’m currently sitting at a traffic light, waiting for a tow. 

3. Despite there being 2 lanes and despite me having the bonnet up and the hazards on, it’s amazing how many people are pulling up right behind me, then leaning on their horns when I don’t move on the green light. 

What's the point of American gun laws if you don't sort out this behaviour pronto? (and then have a whizz on their corpses, obviously)

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If there’s folk in ‘Cooris’ driving ‘Hi-oon-dae’ Korean cars, I might not be responsible for my ‘act-ionz’. 😜

That was one that crossed my mind - after spending years happily pronouncing it as "Hi-oon-die" it's apparently now "Yoon-day".

Conversely, Volvo seem to have shelved their attempt to get people to pronounce their brand (which isn't even a Swedish word anyway...it comes from Latin) as something biscuit-arsed along the lines of "Woolwah."

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

55 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If there’s folk in ‘Cooris’ driving ‘Hi-oon-dae’* Korean cars, I might not be responsible for my ‘act-ionz’. 😜

* ***-day (aka 12th of July)

Nah, apparently Hyundai worked out how the locals were likely to pronounce the company name when they expanded into a new territory, and that became what they used in that area. It's different all round the world. "HYUN-dae" is supposed to be the closest to the original Korean.

"Hi-oon-dae" must be what they decided to use when the internal combustion engine makes it to Fife.

Edited by BFTD
Jesus, what is up with me skipping words.

30 minutes ago, BFTD said:

"Hi-oon-dae" must be what they decided to use when the internal combustion engine makes it to Fife.

I look forward to the new Hyundai Shahoorsir 

Edited by Newbornbairn

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

That was one that crossed my mind - after spending years happily pronouncing it as "Hi-oon-die" it's apparently now "Yoon-day".

Conversely, Volvo seem to have shelved their attempt to get people to pronounce their brand (which isn't even a Swedish word anyway...it comes from Latin) as something biscuit-arsed along the lines of "Woolwah."

Nowhere near as bad as "PorschA"

Edited by Empty It

Motorcycle Emptiness played on Absolute Radio earlier today, I think it's an incredibly petty thing but it really annoys me that they seem to have a radio edit of the song to shorten it for broadcast, but they have removed two full lines from the song but left in the one with the sweary word - it is sung in enough of a Welsh accent that means you probably can't make it out if you didn't know what it was meant to be..

Lines in italics are the ones dropped from the radio edit, it would surely make more sense to drop the first two as at least it would rhyme.. 🤬

"Drive away and it's the same

Everywhere death row, everyone's a victim

Your joys are counterfeit

This happiness corrupt political sh*t"

5 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

Welcome to Kinucher.

See the source image

Those mad Fifers. Had an occasion years ago where an accident had closed off a road in the Lochgelly/Lochore area and a policeman was at the closure point advising folk of an alternate route around it. Still fairly certain to this day that he was speaking an entirely different language.

Welcome to Kinucher.
570px-Kilconquhar_-_geograph.org.uk_-_275856.jpg

I was on a flight from vegas to new york and we ended up in a holding pattern when the yank next to me chose that point to ask where i was from. I told him I was from Scotland (of course, he had played golf at St. Andrews) and Kirkcaldy specifically. Queue a very tedious back and forth with him asking if i was from Kilconquhar and me trying to explain, no Kirkcaldy. Before i gave up and just said yes to him.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Leachkin in Inverness being pronounced "Larkin". If they want Gaelic pronunciation why don't they just use the Gaelic name, An Leacainn?

"First slum of Europe,

A role it won't be hard to win,

With a cast of crooks and tarts"

46 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"First slum of Europe,

A role it won't be hard to win,

With a cast of crooks and tarts"

"Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.”

14 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

This reminded me of an old joke...

Why does Edward Woodward have so many D's in his name?

Spoiler

Because if he didn't, he would be called Ewar Woowar.

20 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In this vein, it gets on my tits the way that the big Swedish furniture store ‘Eye-Kia’ is now apparently ‘Ikk-e-ah’. Just literally seen an advert on TV for the car company ‘Skoda’. Now seemingly ‘Shhh-koda’.

That’s bad enough, but don’t get me started on the kunts who live in the village Culross. Apparently calling it Culross is a hanging offence. It’s ‘Coo-ris’. Why has it got a fcuking ‘L’ in it then, cuntos.

You should go for a walk to calm down.  I certainly would.

Anyway, the German girl I work with gets pissed off with folk here pronouncing Lidl as liddle, rather than leedle as it is in Germany.

Thing is, the Lidl adverts here say liddle on it, maybe simply because "leedle on price" doesn't work and the marketing team are bereft of other ideas.  Such selling-out just riles her even more.

Eta: I can be a bit of a pronunciation nazi when it comes to place names.  Moh-ray Firth is probably the one that gets on my tits the most, but central belters on TV saying mal-ay-g rather than mall-ig (when saying Mallaig) is a close second.

There are a few oil fields that were clearly named by folk in London reading mountains / place names off a map, and things like Foyne-aven rather than Foy-na-vin (for Foinaven) are annoyingly too well engrained.  Plenty of other things like this ending up in lectures etc, and I'm guilty of shoehorning in terms just to say them properly.  Nothing petty about ignorance.  

Edited by Hedgecutter

20 hours ago, pozbaird said:

In this vein, it gets on my tits the way that the big Swedish furniture store ‘Eye-Kia’ is now apparently ‘Ikk-e-ah’. Just literally seen an advert on TV for the car company ‘Skoda’. Now seemingly ‘Shhh-koda’.

It was always Shko-da because that's how its actual name - Škoda - is pronounced. That the gammons who have contributed so much to Benidorm's cultural diversity weren't able to grasp that at the time is irrelevant. 

Fun fact: The word 'škoda' means pity or shame, as in when something unfortunate happens to you. Like buying any of their cars from the 1990s. 

Edited by vikingTON