Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

In my work I occasionally have to take phone payments. A good percentage of our customers are thick as pigshit so it's better to say "long card number" or they are likely to give you the account number. 
The event which spurred my post was when I asked for a customer's card number and she asked if I meant "the long card number". She also said her expiry date was Tain twenty-three. I eventually figured out she was trying to say ten. Bloody Shetlandites!

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:
In my work I occasionally have to take phone payments. A good percentage of our customers are thick as pigshit so it's better to say "long card number" or they are likely to give you the account number. 

The event which spurred my post was when I asked for a customer's card number and she asked if I meant "the long card number". She also said her expiry date was Tain twenty-three. I eventually figured out she was trying to say ten. Bloody Shetlandites!

There's a Shetlander in the other department at work. I'd slag him but he'd either put me in a wickerman or bury an axe in my skull.

To make things more complicated, in my work one of the security questions is "what are the last four digits of the long card number on the front of your card" to which you'll now often get the answer,

"the number's on the back now"

11 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

The scoreline bit in the top left of the screen whenever a PSG match is being shown. 

Why opt for PAR over PSG when there are bound to be multiple teams in Paris, and PSG is custom f***ing designed for the three letters per team name scoreboard? Why?!

Similarly, on the graphics during a formula 1 race, every driver is given by their surname (Hamilton, Vettel, etc) except for Mick Schumacher. He is "M Schumacher". His 3 letter version is MSC,

This goes back 20 years to when his dad and uncle Ralf both drove and had to have M and R in front of their surnames.

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

When people say without sarcasm, "That's hilarious" dryly without laughing.  

One of my daughter's friends says "LOL". Just sounds like "lawl". Not laughting, certainly not laughing out loud. Just lawl.

On 04/10/2022 at 14:19, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Folk using the word "idears". Another one today at work.

I think they are doing it deliberately to send me to the verge of tears. 

Similarly there’s a director at my work who can’t pronounce Data correctly. Adds an R on the end and pronounces its “Date-er”, I don’t speak to him often but when I do it infuriates me

1 hour ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Similarly there’s a director at my work who can’t pronounce Data correctly. Adds an R on the end and pronounces its “Date-er”, I don’t speak to him often but when I do it infuriates me

I work with a few Aussies and to a man they all pronounce data as daa-ta rather than day-ta.   

very much a PTTGOMN 

8 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

To make things more complicated, in my work one of the security questions is "what are the last four digits of the long card number on the front of your card" to which you'll now often get the answer,

"the number's on the back now"

Life would be simpler if we went back to paying everything in cash, or better still a barter system.

When people complain about the pronunciation of words that you only know one way to pronounce, and don't tell you how they pronounce it, nor how people are pronouncing it wrong.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

When people complain about the pronunciation of words that you only know one way to pronounce, and don't tell you how they pronounce it, nor how people are pronouncing it wrong.

In this vein, it gets on my tits the way that the big Swedish furniture store ‘Eye-Kia’ is now apparently ‘Ikk-e-ah’. Just literally seen an advert on TV for the car company ‘Skoda’. Now seemingly ‘Shhh-koda’.

That’s bad enough, but don’t get me started on the kunts who live in the village Culross. Apparently calling it Culross is a hanging offence. It’s ‘Coo-ris’. Why has it got a fcuking ‘L’ in it then, cuntos.

Edited by pozbaird

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

That’s bad enough, but don’t get me started on the kunts who live in the village Culross. Apparently calling it Culross is a hanging offence. It’s ‘Coo-ris’. Why has it got a fcuking ‘L’ in it then, cuntos.

Oh, don't pick at that scab. We'll be here all day.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Sixth should be pronounced six-th

Not sick-th

3 minutes ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Sixth should be pronounced six-th

Not sick-th

It's surprisingly hard to know how you say things when you're thinking about it, but I think I pronounce it the first way, although I don't think I've ever noticed anyone saying it differently.

Unless you mean "sick-ff"? The infamous Th-Fronting.