Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

On 29/09/2022 at 13:47, welshbairn said:

The Guardian replies..

Arsehole attempt by the Guardian to weasel out of a clear mistake.

Also, taking the "general" (by which is apparently meant 'highly specific") sense, the assertion is still clearly incorrect.

Counterexample: 10 households, 9 paying £100, the other paying £1000. The average in the sense intended is the median: £100; 10% of households pay more than (that) average.

QEb*****dingD

Morrisons 500m before you get to Shell is consistently 9-10p cheaper. As is the Jet on the way back out of Dundee. f**k knows why anyone uses that Shell garage.
Its the only garage in Dundee with LPG and the fucking LPG pump is out of action.
Shitshow

Normally with parking issues I'd recommend a petrol bomb but with prices the way they are a hammer and some elbow grease would do the trick. Or take a picture of the offending vehicles, post it on the local Facebook page and a cues them of being peadoor dog thiefs. You're welcome 

19 minutes ago, Bert Raccoon said:

Normally with parking issues I'd recommend a petrol bomb but with prices the way they are a hammer and some elbow grease would do the trick. Or take a picture of the offending vehicles, post it on the local Facebook page and a cues them of being peadoor dog thiefs. You're welcome 

You're a peadoor.

9 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Neighbours that have assigned parking spaces/drives but park in the communal spaces so they don’t have to walk an extra 5 metres to their front door 

In a similar vein to people who park in the drop off layby in front of the gym rather than park 10m away in the massive carpark.

19 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The coach outside my window has had the engine idling for over twenty minutes. I'd give him a piece of my mind but I've lost enough of it as it is.

Just had a good chuckle at this. It's a very fine line isn't it. :lol:

The Spar in the Hilltown has shut down.

Absolutely seething because they did excellent, fresh rolls from a local bakery across the road. 

Have had to settle for average Lidl rolls for my bacon for lunch.

On 29/09/2022 at 19:38, Granny Danger said:

When I did my O Grades in 1971 there were separate Maths and Arithmetic qualifications.

Same here 2 years earlier.

There was Higher Maths, but I don't think there was Higher Arithmetic.

Edited by Jacksgranda

On 29/09/2022 at 13:49, Bairnardo said:
On 29/09/2022 at 13:47, welshbairn said:

"If you take average to mean what average is generally understood to mean...."

This is more a case of the general public misunderstanding the term "average". The term "average" just means a single number which is representative of the overall set of numbers, and the mean and median are both versions of averages. For some reason people have it in their head that "average" = mean.

Edited by craigkillie

14 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Same situation as late as 82.

IIRC arithmetic was the practical day to day application of maths. 

40 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

No I don’t think so.

My greatest academic achievement was getting 100% for my Arithmetic prelim.  The maths teacher (a total nut job) gave me a chocolate then shouted at me for eating it in class.

Just now, Granny Danger said:

My greatest academic achievement was getting 100% for my Arithmetic prelim.  The maths teacher (a total nut job) gave me a chocolate then shouted at me for eating it in class.

I always thought arithmetic was fairly easy - as opposed to maths itself and calculus and other things that I hadn't a clue about - but that's quite impressive!

55 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

I did standard grade maths and ( I almost certain) O grade arithmetic in 1990. No course but our maths teacher put us all forward for the exam. 

8 minutes ago, HK Hibee said:

I did standard grade maths and ( I almost certain) O grade arithmetic in 1990. No course but our maths teacher put us all forward for the exam. 

O Grade Arithmetic was a piece of cake, really. I think most of us could have passed it in P7, tbh.

16 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

O Grade Arithmetic was a piece of cake, really. I think most of us could have passed it in P7, tbh.

IIRC we were even allowed to take calculators in, having just made the switch from slide rules which I'd never really mastered.

Just now, welshbairn said:

IIRC we were even allowed to take calculators in, having just made the switch from slide rules which I'd never really mastered.

I never got the hang of them, either.