Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

12 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The english pronouncing three as free. Scots neds saying “ahm urr” instead of I am. 

About ten years ago there was a newspaper column complaining that kids in Glasgow were pronouncing 'think' as 'fink' rather than, as it had been for decades, 'hink'. It was blamed on EastEnders.

31 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The football commentator on BBC Scotland never says "nil". 

If the score was 1-0 he would describe it as "one nothing". 

Drives me fucking mental. It’s that Liam McLeod c**t.  

One of the gulls nesting on our roof has dropped a huge - HUGE - piece of fruitcake on the lower roof outside the kitchen window (just next to the servant's quarters, etc). Apparently it was so unpleasant that none of the local birds are willing to clear up the mess, so I'm going to have to clamber out there and tidy up at some point.

It was amusing to see them yelling at me through the skylight when ensconced upon the throne, but I'm seriously considering adapting their rental agreement.

1 hour ago, Bert Raccoon said:

One - Zip 

Whilst we are on the subject of americanisms I have heard Scottish people use the word “period” in the American way of late. What’s that all about?

40 minutes ago, throbber said:

Whilst we are on the subject of americanisms I have heard Scottish people use the word “period” in the American way of late. What’s that all about?

It's the youngsters and their constant exposure to Americanisms on the web. I worked with a boy who referenced his "mom" a few times and also called them "diapers" instead of nappies. Lovely fella, but that was awful stuff.

See also "hey", "dude" and "I know, right?". Absolute murder.

41 minutes ago, velo army said:

It's the youngsters and their constant exposure to Americanisms on the web. I worked with a boy who referenced his "mom" a few times and also called them "diapers" instead of nappies. Lovely fella, but that was awful stuff.

I suppose youngsters in the U.K. were exposed to americanisms 20+ years ago with such easy access to American tv programmes. It’s still bloody murder to hear.  

2 hours ago, velo army said:

The young ranters refer to 'the yard'.