Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Mark Connolly said:

The "How did I miss this thread" in the Premiership forum.

The thread itself is excellent, but the lack of punctuation in the title is making me seethe

Aye, but look who started it.

6 hours ago, Raidernation said:

How much is a litre these days?
Folks here going mental that it hit $5 a gallon here

I think it works out to just over $10 per gallon over here.

Which is actually nothing like as bad as I thought it would be.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Seeing 'Scottish' thistles growing outwith Scotland, like when you see that St Andrew is the patron saint of other countries (incl. Russia).

Good use of the word "outwith" which is apparently a word not used outwith Scotland.

Good use of the word "outwith" which is apparently a word not used outwith Scotland.
When I started work here (Australia) the autocorrect kept highlighting "outwith" in emails. Enraged, I Googled it and was surprised to find that no one outside Scotland uses it!

1 minute ago, Swarley said:
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

When I started work here (Australia) the autocorrect kept highlighting "outwith" in emails. Enraged, I Googled it and was surprised to find that no one outwith Scotland uses it!

FTFY

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I’ve always found that strange.  Maybe some day the rest of the world will catch up.

1 minute ago, Cosmic Joe said:

Sky don't inform you of the par for the hole. 

Basic stuff. 

Sky's golf coverage always seems dumbed down for The Open, even more so when it's at St Andrews.  It gives off major BBC Wimbledon coverage vibes - 

'For those of you who don't know, that's Andy Roddick who was world number 1 and made it to 3 Wimbledon finals, losing each time to Swiss player Roger Federer.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Indeed.  'outwith' is almost exclusively Scottish.  Its 'pal' is 'without' as in "There is a green hill far away without a city wall" meaning 'outside'.  Written by an Anglo-Irish hymn writer.

But 'without' carries on in the names of some City of  London churches such as "Saint Botolph Without Aldgate".

Edited by The_Kincardine

5 hours ago, hk blues said:

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  'outwith' is almost exclusively Scottish.  Its 'pal' is 'without' as in "There is a green hill far away without a city wall" meaning 'outside'.  Written by an Anglo-Irish hymn writer.

But 'without' carries on in the names of some City of  London churches such as "Saint Botolph Without Aldgate".

Stick it in your oxter. 

On 01/07/2022 at 16:11, GordonD said:

Billy Connolly points out that people called Alasdair always tell you how it's spelt - "It's Alasdair - D-A-I-R."

Guilty, but only when giving folk my email address.

I get my name spelled incorrectly nearly all the time, because everyone is too used to dealing with the offspring of illiterates.

12 minutes ago, milton75 said:

Guilty, but only when giving folk my email address.

I get my name spelled incorrectly nearly all the time, because everyone is too used to dealing with the offspring of illiterates.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson