Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Perhaps I've just been lucky and have only had flights delayed once I'm already through security. It's not something I recall other people talking about.

It really wasn't an issue in the end, one of the general airport staff did it without any fuss, just thought it weird you can arrive at the airport over two hours before your flight departs and check in is closed.

That's not the case at all airports.

In Edinburgh, the issues are most prevalent with Ryanair, Easyjet and all the other foreign airlines who are "serviced" by either Swissport or Menzies employees at both check-in and boarding.  With little or no direct employees on the ground (🤦‍♂️), these airlines can call their delays or cancellation without facing up to stranded passengers, but leave it up to the very limited number of acting agents - if you can find one.  The check-in times are fairly rigid, but other reliable airlines keep their customers fully up to date via text or email with instructions about adjustments to check-in, etc.

Everything depends on which airline you're flying with. 

So if you get a message in the morning saying your flight's delayed by ten hours you're supposed to get to the airport twelve hours before departure? Why close check in when the outgoing aircraft isn't even in the country yet? What's the point in on line check in if they make you do it again at the airport? Petty things, my friend.

In related news, Luton's a shitehole, I want to go home.
Yes and compo compo compo

You get your boarding card scanned usually before you go through security so it's much the same as queuing up at a desk. Maybe the airport [mention=41834]DiegoDiego[/mention] was at was short staffed so everyone had to do it at check in, or they didn't have enough scanning equipment.
Nah, I've flown through there before and it was the same, pretty sure the airline mentioned it in an email as well so it's on me. Still not sure of the point though.

3 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:
You get your boarding card scanned usually before you go through security so it's much the same as queuing up at a desk. Maybe the airport [mention=41834]DiegoDiego[/mention] was at was short staffed so everyone had to do it at check in, or they didn't have enough scanning equipment.

Nah, I've flown through there before and it was the same, pretty sure the airline mentioned it in an email as well so it's on me. Still not sure of the point though.

I've flown from airports that don't allow online check in but the airlines have always blocked it for those airports anyway.

On 12/07/2022 at 11:19, welshbairn said:

I met a guy from Phoenix who told me the heat didn't bother him, he had air conditioning in his garages at home and at work, and naturally in his home and car.

Yeah, people hop from one refrigerated environment to another. You even get car garages and entrances to stores lined with misters to help cool the air.

Then you get poor b*****ds who can't afford air conditioning, and Phoenix was absolutely hoaching with the homeless last time I was there. Every fast food car park had a wee mini encampment in one corner. How those folk survive at 40°C+ is a mystery; I'd imagine that a lot of them don't, but nobody cares.

There's now an ad for another lottery to join the poppy/friday lotteries -  the Donkey Lottery !!!!!  You just text "donkey" to win a grand for £1 each week.

Would give it a go, but with my luck would win hee-haw.  Might have been interested if they'd got Tony Mobray to promote it.  No doubt, some quine fae Ebberdeen will win it.

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Bus stops right after junctions causing absolute chaos when a bus stops for 5 minutes as its early.

Most egregious example of this on the planet has to be the top of Greenbank Terrace in Edinburgh. Bus stop, junction with lights, pedestrian crossing, another junction with lights, another fucking pedestrian crossing, all within about 30 yards. It's an absolute clusterfuck.

59 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yes mate, despite your odd assertions to the contrary, I'm not an angry man. 

Considering he's one of the site's premier stroke candidates, that's quite the outrageous deflection tactic he's trying.

Think I'll start implying everyone else is a sexual pervert and see if it puts the authorities off the scent for a while.

14 hours ago, hearthammer said:

There's now an ad for another lottery to join the poppy/friday lotteries -  the Donkey Lottery !!!!!  You just text "donkey" to win a grand for £1 each week.

Would give it a go, but with my luck would win hee-haw.  Might have been interested if they'd got Tony Mobray to promote it.  No doubt, some quine fae Ebberdeen will win it.

Dead Donkey Raffle – A very funny story, with a good ‘gotcha’ ending
A city boy in the Witness Protection Program moved to the country and bought a donkey from an old farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the mule the next day.

The next day, the farmer drove up and said, ‘Sorry, but I have some bad news. The donkey died.’

‘Well then, just give me my money back.’

‘Can’t do that. I went and spent it already.’

‘Okay then. Just unload the donkey.’

‘What ya gonna do with him?’

‘I’m going to raffle him off.’

‘You can’t raffle off a dead donkey!’

‘Sure I can. Watch me. I just won’t tell anybody he’s dead.’

A month later the farmer met up with the city boy and asked, ‘Whatever happened with that dead donkey?’

‘I raffled him off. I sold 500 hundred tickets at two dollars apiece and made a profit of $998.’

‘Didn’t anyone complain?’

‘Just the guy who won. So I gave him his two dollars back.’

On 13/07/2022 at 17:23, DiegoDiego said:

So if you get a message in the morning saying your flight's delayed by ten hours you're supposed to get to the airport twelve hours before departure? Why close check in when the outgoing aircraft isn't even in the country yet? What's the point in on line check in if they make you do it again at the airport? Petty things, my friend.

In related news, Luton's a shitehole, I want to go home.

"i remember Luton

It's where i ate my cruton" 

17 hours ago, Empty It said:

Bus stops right after junctions causing absolute chaos when a bus stops for 5 minutes as its early.

Also, bus stops at roundabouts. Means big queues as there's usually traffic islands so nobody can pass

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

Considering he's one of the site's premier stroke candidates, that's quite the outrageous deflection tactic he's trying.

Think I'll start implying everyone else is a sexual pervert and see if it puts the authorities off the scent for a while.

I think it's a bit late for that, but best of luck with your deflection tactics.