Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I have to give him credit. We're dealing with an extremely serious case of plagiarism which has involved the two of us on the phone to Turnitin amongst other things to work out technically how something was done. Like me, he is a zealot about cheating and is the only colleague I have that is willing to delve bloody deep info PDF macros to work stuff out (I was the only one before).

He called me yesterday on Teams to discuss this case - from his timeshare. 

An absolute master of his craft

Royal Mail's finest has shoved a 'sorry you weren't in' message through the inside door from five minutes ago, having gone through the open, outside door and then failing to actually knock to deliver at any fucking stage in the process. 

1449324695_4yzv0Ja4wFHh(1).gif.02abb64c27cb236fe30a8bb3b764dc5d.gif

Broadband services offering speeds in "Megabits per second". 

When I was at school I understood memory better. 8 bits made a byte, and then you moved you through the ranges (kilobyte, megabyte, etc). So...is a megabit per second one eighth of a megabyte pre second? Or have they renamed megabytes?

If it is 1/8 of a megabyte then this is like offering salaries in pence rather than pounds. 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

When I was at school I understood memory better. 8 bits made a byte, and then you moved you through the ranges (kilobyte, megabyte, etc). So...is a megabit per second one eighth of a megabyte pre second? Or have they renamed megabytes?

If it is 1/8 of a megabyte then this is like offering salaries in pence rather than pounds. 

I suffer the same mental torture with radians and arc-seconds.

This is petty as f**k, but it did sort of become a talking point during the pandemic.... Not being able to get a seat somewhere because a seating/waiting area is filled with couples who have both attended where only one is needed.

In question today, the tiny wee bit where you wait beside a swimming pool whilst kids do their lessons.

Absolutely no need for both parents to be taking up space.

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Network speed is measured in bits. Always has been and always will be. 

https://www.ncta.com/whats-new/why-do-we-use-bits-measure-internet-speed-but-bytes-measure-data

My war on the unnecessary 'pre' continues.  Not only have we 'pre heat your oven' but the latest was 'pre ground coffee beans'.

'heat your oven' and 'ground coffee beans' are what we say in English.

I will monitor the entire internet to catch someone saying, "The greatest thing since pre sliced bread".

On 24/05/2022 at 16:25, scottsdad said:

I have to give him credit. We're dealing with an extremely serious case of plagiarism which has involved the two of us on the phone to Turnitin amongst other things to work out technically how something was done. Like me, he is a zealot about cheating and is the only colleague I have that is willing to delve bloody deep info PDF macros to work stuff out (I was the only one before).

I recently overheard a couple of lecturers discussing how this summer's coursework was going to be checked more closely by the SQA, and final results would likely be delayed - not just theirs, but all across Scotland. Something to do with shutting the stable door after a big plagiarism case that involved collusion from college staff? Is this related to the issue you've mentioned a few times?

Your network speeds have always been in bits, by the way, back to the days of your 56Kbps modem. Although if you go back far enough, you'd be connecting to your favourite BBS at 300 baud for text descriptions of scuddy women.

3 minutes ago, SuperSaints1877 said:

What used to bug me was other peoples inability to use 1024 as a factor of multiplication of bits and bytes when converting to kilo/mega/etc. 

All in favour of switching to hexadecimal time so that I can feel superior to somebody for something, finally.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I recently overheard a couple of lecturers discussing how this summer's coursework was going to be checked more closely by the SQA, and final results would likely be delayed - not just theirs, but all across Scotland. Something to do with shutting the stable door after a big plagiarism case that involved collusion from college staff? Is this related to the issue you've mentioned a few times?

Your network speeds have always been in bits, by the way, back to the days of your 56Kbps modem. Although if you go back far enough, you'd be connecting to your favourite BBS at 300 baud for text descriptions of scuddy women.

This is quite a technical issue. One student submitted a PDF that showed high Turnitin similarity. 2 minutes later they submitted a seemingly identical PDF with a far lower Turnitin similarity. First file was 100 kb, the second 125 kb. The text was identical. Trying to work out how this second PDF had a lower score - been on to Turnitin themselves with this one. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This is quite a technical issue. One student submitted a PDF that showed high Turnitin similarity. 2 minutes later they submitted a seemingly identical PDF with a far lower Turnitin similarity. First file was 100 kb, the second 125 kb. The text was identical. Trying to work out how this second PDF had a lower score - been on to Turnitin themselves with this one. 

Somebody's been far too smart for their own good.

Do let us know if you hear anything about what I overheard. I didn't quite have the balls to ask for more details. Apparently somebody quite high profile has been sacked already.

Entirely possible it was some bored instructors trolling me, I suppose. I get the impression they're always on the lookout for some excitement.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Somebody's been far too smart for their own good.

Do let us know if you hear anything about what I overheard. I didn't quite have the balls to ask for more details. Apparently somebody quite high profile has been sacked already.

Entirely possible it was some bored instructors trolling me, I suppose. I get the impression they're always on the lookout for some excitement.

Will do, but heard nothing about this so far. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Do they both flag as being similar to the same source(s)? Is the main similarity in the first submission from another paper(s) submitted or from a web source(s)?

Also, have you downloaded the files and checked them? Has the student done something cheeky like copying some text as a picture? 

Edited by DA Baracus

Europa Conference League final: Roma 1-0 Feyenoord - Nicolo Zaniolo hits winner for Italians - BBC Sport

Roma won their first major European trophy by beating Feyenoord in the inaugural Europa Conference League final in Tirana.

Jose Mourinho's first season in charge of the Italians ended with a trophy after Nicolo Zaniolo chested down Gianluca Mancini's lofted pass before beating goalkeeper Justin Bijlow with a clever flick.

Mourinho, who has won the Champions League, Europa League and the Uefa Cup, is the first manager to win all of Uefa's major European trophies.

There are three European trophies awarded by UEFA. the Conference League is the lowest profile of these. If this is a major trophy then all three competitions are for major trophies, and the distinction is meaningless.

I suppose you could win the Super Cup without having won a "major" trophy first, if one of the competition winners withdrew or was banned, for some reason. I don't think anyone would class the Super Cup as a major trophy so it would be technically possible.

6 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I suppose you could win the Super Cup without having won a "major" trophy first, if one of the competition winners withdrew or was banned, for some reason. I don't think anyone would class the Super Cup as a major trophy so it would be technically possible.

The intertoto cup also I doubt anyone would class as "major" had anyone previously won only that.

I agree with the OP though that "major" seems rather superfluous.

On 24/05/2022 at 16:25, scottsdad said:

What are you doing with the PDF macros and how?

I’ve a case this week where even the acknowledgements have been plagiarised.