Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

7 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Ah cool, gotcha.

Yeah, as far as negatives of Brexit go, they are a pretty poor example of one.

Well not really since we "took back control" we need more staff to look after the borders and conduct checks. There weren't enough to do this and recruiting and training has taken longer than expected. Combine that with airports, like a lot of low paying employers, requiring foreign labour, it's a perfectly fine example of the Brexit that was pursued being a completely hopeless idea that will inevitably fail.

3 hours ago, 101 said:

Well not really since we "took back control" we need more staff to look after the borders and conduct checks. There weren't enough to do this and recruiting and training has taken longer than expected. Combine that with airports, like a lot of low paying employers, requiring foreign labour, it's a perfectly fine example of the Brexit that was pursued being a completely hopeless idea that will inevitably fail.

Again, this has no relevance at all to the, frankly made up, claim of "Brexit now makes us queue to get into / out of the EU" as though queues weren't a thing before.

There were always nonsense queues at Scottish airports as well btw as they never seemed to bother opening the e-Gates - something that Brexit has had no impact on.

I'm convinced that not really being able to travel for 2 years has resulted in people falsely remembering internation travel before Brexit as some hassle free utopia where you could waltz through an airport in a few minutes without any queues.

Edited by Todd_is_God

5 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Again, this has no relevance at all to the, frankly made up, claim of "Brexit now makes us queue to get into / out of the EU" as though queues weren't a thing before.

There were always nonsense queues at Scottish airports as well btw as they never seemed to bother opening the e-Gates - something that Brexit has had no impact on.

I'm convinced that not really being able to travel for 2 years has resulted in people falsely remembering internation travel before Brexit as some hassle free utopia where you could waltz through an airport in a few minutes without any queues.

Spanish police making it up as well aye?

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2022/02/24/police-union-demands-extra-officers-for-spains-costa-blanca-airport-to-reduce-uk-traveller-queues-at-passport-control/

image.thumb.png.3b751086bbdb808b6ffb1d9cd09bdd3f.png

The airport advice itself recognises that there are increased delays flying to the UK -

It is recommended that you arrive at least 2 hours in advance at the airport to check in your luggage and pass through the security checkpoints (3 hours in case of flights to Non-Schengen areas).

https://www.aeropuertoalicante-elche.com/eng/checkin-alicante.htm

To say that there are no increased delays to international travel due to increased security checks at border controls is frankly bizarre and denying reality. 

That timing recommendation has always been the case and would still apply to the UK before Brexit because it was never a Schengen country. 

The only difference is putting a stamp on a passport which does not explain the constant delays and f**k-ups of international travel right now. I'd put difficulty hiring after the pandemic, incompetent management of demand after the pandemic and of course incompetent carriers (see easyJet) as more important causes. 

Edited by vikingTON

13 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bluebells.

They're not blue, so whoever came up with that name needs a good slap in the puss.

Yes they are.  We've got a song about them and everything.

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

Yes they are.

Betting on us and backing us up on matters horticultural.  Big team found.

2 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

To say that there are no increased delays to international travel due to increased security checks at border controls is frankly bizarre and denying reality. 

I didn't say there were no increased delays, I said that any increases were much smaller than people are claiming as they are making out the wait time was basically zero before, which is complete nonsense.

21 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I see photos like this a lot. Queues are shite, but I also feel there's a fair bit of historical revisionism going on about passport control queues prior to Brexit. They absolutely existed, and they could take a considerable time to get through depending how late you got off your plane.

They may be worse now, but not by anything like as much as is being made out.

I don't remember ever taking more than half an hour tops to get out of an airport pre Brexit, apart from shortly after 9/11 in Washington. Mind you I haven't been in bad queues since Brexit either. There were a lot of pissed of locals getting off a plane in Lisbon during covid when there was a separate queue for non EU flyers and there was only me and couple of others swanning past the EU queue. Schiphol's got a bit annoying since Brexit but not massively so.

Edited by welshbairn

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Suppose we should let yous have that if it distracts you from singing about all that other stuff....

John Lundstram?

15 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I don't remember ever taking more than half an hour tops to get out of an airport pre Brexit, apart from shortly after 9/11 in Washington. Mind you I haven't been in bad queues since Brexit either. There were a lot of pissed of locals getting off a plane in Lisbon during covid when there was a separate queue for non EU flyers and there was only me and couple of others swanning past the EU queue. Schiphol's got a bit annoying since Brexit but not massively so.

The old passport control in Edinburgh always used to piss me off.  One queue for EU and one for the rest.  The EU queue was always hoaching while the rest had about half a dozen people in it that flew through.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
2 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Suppose we should let yous have that if it distracts you from singing about all that other stuff....

Its probably a song about bluebells marching over to Ireland and battering all the f****n shamrocks.

Disgusting.

17 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Bluebells.

They're not blue, so whoever came up with that name needs a good slap in the puss.

I have it on good authority that, while they are indeed quite dandy, dandelions are not in fact lions.