Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Yankee nonsense. I don't think I've ever potted the black on the break though so I don't know what the rule is. Haven't played for years but you used to have to check the pub rules before starting, like 2 shots for a foul except on the black etc.
2 shots carry or not was always the most contentious rule

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

We had a pool league at my last employer. Some wanky, stuck up twat wanted me to show him the rule where it says you win when potting the black on break ( only ever done it twice)

There's a guy I work with who always brings up "the new rules".

Only talks about them when it benefits him funnily enough.  Probably bullshit too.

I like the nominate pocket rule, means you're less likely to win on a fluke. Only on the black, mind, I'm not a psychopath.
I maybe didn't explain properly.
All for the rule but not actually nominating the pocket you're clearly going for and then make a successful pot to then be told you have lost the game is shite.
And yes, black only.

Just now, Loonytoons said:

I maybe didn't explain properly.
All for the rule but not actually nominating the pocket you're clearly going for and then make a successful pot to then be told you have lost the game is shite.
And yes, black only.

Yeah, I think that's sort of the unofficial rule anyway, and what I would always play against a mate. You only need to nominate if you're going for some unlikely double or treble.

If I was playing someone I didn't know I would always nominate even if it's over the pocket just in case they decide to be an arse.

3 hours ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

I think the rule is you have a choice of 1. losing or 2. paying for the game to continue, get the black back out and put it on its spot.

Though with pool the rule usually is whoever looks the biggest psycho in the pub decides.

Are there universally agreed rules relating to the potting of the black? 

The other day I was about to granny someone but was snookered while the black sat over the pocket. I got the white over the wall, sunk the black, but the cue ball vaulted the cushion and rolled off the table, ending in my defeat.

Shame, as I was looking forward to her circuiting the table naked. (That is the standard forfeit for being grannied, right?)