Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

16 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

What I mean is whether: a) somebody at Just East sees a list saying Mr Strachan wants X, Mrs Petrie wants Y, Coprolite wants Z, and the driver turns up to McDonald's and puts in an order for X, Y & Z, or b) McDonalds get a list via an alternative system and dump it on a waiting driver.

I noticed that the preparing / collect screen had an order like 72570, 067, 068, 069, 85325, 000, 001 002, 86777.  I presumed that the long numbers were the complex Just Eat ones, giving somebody wanting a double cheeseburger and a McFlurry a half an hour wait.

My son pointed out that the long delivery numbers are hexadecimal.

Pwoud, very pwoud.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Exactly the same as decimals except it's base 16 instead of base 10

I know the system but how is it actually used. in practice?  How would you know if the number 162315 was 16-2-3-15 or 1-6-2-3-1-5?

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Pwoud, very pwoud.

8 minutes ago, JamesP_81 said:

Switching your calculator to hexadecimal mode at school unlocked a whole new world of childish things you could type while everyone else was still sniggering away at typing 80085. 

4 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Exactly the same as decimals except it's base 16 instead of base 10

jesse.gif.2d50ea35d48b7718370445776b7b0865.gif

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Pwoud, very pwoud.

Why can’t they just leave things alone.  There was no hexadecimal when I was a lad and the world was a better place for it.  No deliveries either…

4 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Wheezing lazy b*****ds on mobility scooters getting in my way in the shops - or the same people a few years younger just being slow fat fuckers taking up the space limping along in oversized jobby catchers toward Greggs (thats when they are not sitting outside tabbing away with their fat bairns).

eta - Particularly in Cameron Toll shopping centre, Edinburgh.

EducatedFloweryIndianpalmsquirrel-max-1mb.gif.49465b6419ab67599cd6457af0fab6e1.gif

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

As you should be.

P.S. Can you ask him how hexadecimals actually work?

I did base numbers at school just as the Star Trek 25th anniversary computer game came out. It had a level where you had to translate numbers into base 3 and base 16 to get through a door. Easily the best Star Trek video game. 

Star_Trek_25th_Anniversary_(DOS)_25a.gif

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I know the system but how is it actually used. in practice?  How would you know if the number 162315 was 16-2-3-15 or 1-6-2-3-1-5?

You wouldn't, unless there were letters in that particular number. When you're writing them down, you're supposed to put a subscript '16' at the end of a hex number, like 16321516. Change that to a '10' for our standard decimal numbers, or a '2' for binary, etc.

If anyone's actually curious, your number positions change to multiples of 16 for hex. So for decimal 162315, you'd have 1 x 100,000s, 6 x 10,000s, 2 x 1,000s, 3 x 100s, 1 x 10s, and 5 x 1s. In hex, it would represent 1 x 1,048,576s, 6 x 65,536s, 2 x 4096s, 3 x 256s, 1 x 16s, and 5 x 1s. So 16231516 is equal to 1,450,77310.

In other words, the price of a large Big Mac meal in six months' time.

32 minutes ago, 101 said:

What is hexadecimal?

It's the number system used by our reptilian overlords, as they have eight fingers on each hand (beat that, Fifers).

I take it you're not signed up to David Icke's newsletter?

15 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's the number system used by our reptilian overlords, as they have eight fingers on each hand (beat that, Fifers).

I take it you're not signed up to David Icke's newsletter?

Do only uses numbers 1-8? What's the point in that?

10 minutes ago, 101 said:

Do only uses numbers 1-8? What's the point in that?

No, that's octal, the system used by four-fingered Fifers.

Our overlords have sixteen fingers in total. Y'know, like how most of us have ten fingers on our hands, so we developed a number system based around multiples of ten.

Spoiler

If you'd like a serious answer, it's a simple way of representing large binary numbers. The number 255 in decimal is 11111111 in binary - imagine how many 1s and 0s you'd need to use for the number 1,000,00010. You can group them into less-unwieldy figures with hex, as 16 is a multiple of 2, where things get more complicated converting to decimal.

Binary, of course, the number system used by our robot overlords, who only acknowledge two states: DEAD and NOT YET DEAD.