Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I watched half of it, loathed it as much as the other two and stopped watching. The worst of the 3 though is Batman Begins IMO. It’s one of the most boring, empty and miscast films I’ve ever seen. 
TDK genuinely did have some merit due to Heath Ledger’s performance.
We get it, you're edgy and cool.

43 minutes ago, Empty It said:
1 hour ago, Thorongil said:
I watched half of it, loathed it as much as the other two and stopped watching. The worst of the 3 though is Batman Begins IMO. It’s one of the most boring, empty and miscast films I’ve ever seen. 

We get it, you're edgy and cool.

Glad you get it. Nolan’s still a hack and his Batman films are crap.

Aye, so the train of thought is that, if Scorsese had been making Taxi Driver in 2019, it would've ended up being a comic book villain origin story. Close Encounters of the Third Kind would've tied in to the MCU and introduced the latest Marvel alien species. Napoleon Dynamite would've needed to be a quirky take on Peter Parker's travails at high school.
Not sure I agree, but it was amusing to see the highbrow critics gritting their teeth over the popularity of mass market entertainment.
Simply put, in many cases the revenue from people who will watch a film because it has a superhero veneer added to it minus the cost of that veneer is greater than the revenue list from people who would not watch it because of it.

The reason more filmmakers don't do it is they don't have the IP rights. DC and Marvel already produce/license the optimal number of films.

Saying that Dark Knight Rises was pish isn't particularly edgy. The script was utterly inane and, watching it a second time minus the hype and excitement lays bare some of the flaws. It's definitely the poorer, by far, of the three.

And @tamthebam pay no heed to misery guts grumpy gets like @The Moonster and feel absolutely free to share your achievements. There's enough negativity on this forum (so many negative threads) and in the world at large. Hefty congrats on the crossword. I got three clues in the herald one once. When I eventually complete one I'll be going full Marco Tardelli down my street.

6 minutes ago, Empty It said:
35 minutes ago, Thorongil said:
Glad you get it. Nolan’s still a hack and his Batman films are crap.

To say you don't like them would be a fair enough comment but TDK is rated 4th on IMDBs best films it's clearly not "crap".

Pretty sure that can be disregarded. 
There’s no planet where it’s in the top 10 of films. Fanboys have pushed it higher and those who criticised the film were threatened with death;  so its anomalous position on such charts can be safely ignored.

Saying that Dark Knight Rises was pish isn't particularly edgy. The script was utterly inane and, watching it a second time minus the hype and excitement lays bare some of the flaws. It's definitely the poorer, by far, of the three.
And [mention=12982]tamthebam[/mention] pay no heed to misery guts grumpy gets like [mention=4441]The Moonster[/mention] and feel absolutely free to share your achievements. There's enough negativity on this forum (so many negative threads) and in the world at large. Hefty congrats on the crossword. I got three clues in the herald one once. When I eventually complete one I'll be going full Marco Tardelli down my street.
I actually agree DKR is pretty pish but the other two were decent movies.

14 minutes ago, velo army said:

And @tamthebam pay no heed to misery guts grumpy gets like @The Moonster and feel absolutely free to share your achievements. There's enough negativity on this forum (so many negative threads) and in the world at large. Hefty congrats on the crossword. I got three clues in the herald one once. When I eventually complete one I'll be going full Marco Tardelli down my street.

Tam's on the good guy side, velo. Stop corrupting his perfectly fine mind.

And if I canny be negative in a things that annoy you thread the game's goosed!

I’ve been on an NHS waiting list for over a year for a minor op and today they sent me a letter asking me to get back to them to confirm if I still want it and if I don’t within three weeks they’ll Chuck me off the waiting list. Really weird, my condition won’t get better and can only be resolved by surgery. Clearly some jiggery pokery to punt inattentive people from waiting lists.

In other health news I have had appalling stomach issues for a whole week, absolutely unprecedented for me. I’ve had to take some OTC medication which I normally never do. 

4 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I’ve been on an NHS waiting list for over a year for a minor op and today they sent me a letter asking me to get back to them to confirm if I still want it and if I don’t within three weeks they’ll Chuck me off the waiting list. Really weird, my condition won’t get better and can only be resolved by surgery. Clearly some jiggery pokery to punt inattentive people from waiting lists.

In other health news I have had appalling stomach issues for a whole week, absolutely unprecedented for me. I’ve had to take some OTC medication which I normally never do. 

Probably hoping some folk on the waiting list have croaked it. 

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yeah I assume that too. Surely there are easier ways to check that than to send them a letter?

Aye, all they have to do is read all the death notices in every newspaper...

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

What, put a death notice in a paper or read them?

I always glance at them whenever I buy a paper.

I looked at the local paper website Obituaries (I needed cheering up) and there was only about a dozen listed over ages. I assumed only real oldies still put it in the paper.

Ah so you're basing your view on half a viewing and therefore it's crap? But you're right and thousands who watched them all the way through are wrong. You're blaming the cast now as well. There's a helluva swinging punches in the dark here.

Pretty sure that can be disregarded. 
There’s no planet where it’s in the top 10 of films. Fanboys have pushed it higher and those who criticised the film were threatened with death;  so its anomalous position on such charts can be safely ignored.

By that logic every film in the Top 10 is because "fanboys" pushed it higher? They're rated highly because they're well made films. Can you show me some of these death threats? I must have missed this at the time.

57 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I check every day and if my name isn't there I can safely get out of bed.

May be an urban myth but The Times once accidentally printed the obituary of somebody who was still alive. He phoned them to complain, saying, "See here, this is Lord So-and-so and you've printed my obituary this morning!"

The telephonist replied, "Indeed, Your Lordship, and where are you speaking from?"

On 11/02/2022 at 15:30, Honest_Man#1 said:

Need the new Brexity GHIC for going abroad soon. Applied online and get email asking for proof of address to be sent to nhsbsa.ghicapplicationsohs@nhsbsa.nhs.uk but when I send it I get a bounce back that the email account is full and can’t receive messages. Their alternative way to contact is Twitter and they clearly don’t monitor the account as I sent it hours ago and it’s still unread.

Unacceptable from a government body.

To me that is a completely unacceptable email address. Can you imagine having to spell that out to someone over the phone.