Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Dan the God Botherer on BBC Breakfast yesterday when he said “now for the local news wherever you’re waking up this morning".  As somebody who was preparing to go to bed at the time, I find this to be highly discriminatory towards people working night shift.  Yet another facet of BBC bias, and I don’t like it.  Tbh, a sacking over this wouldn't be entirely unreasonable.

[cue Chewin'_the_Fat_nightshift.gif]

My brother went to a dinner where he was the after dinner speaker. It was a sportsman's event so people were hoping for stories about football and the like. What they got was a lecture on faith and sports. Apparently it was a bit dull. 

The next year they went for Jim Leishman instead. 

A fortnight ago my parent's oven door shattered, so they had to get a new oven. 

Yesterday my oven died*. Now I need a new one. 

The wife said: "these things come in threes". I don't even know where to go with this.

*works fine unless you want to heat anything

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The wife said: "these things come in threes". I don't even know where to go with this.

image.jpeg.fc72565e146eeb80ff8f384e9aa809d8.jpeg

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Call everyone you know who has an oven and warn them

2 hours ago, scottsdad said:

My brother went to a dinner where he was the after dinner speaker. It was a sportsman's event so people were hoping for stories about football and the like. What they got was a lecture on faith and sports. Apparently it was a bit dull. 

The next year they went for Jim Leishman instead. 

I used to go to a distribution company's events. Year one they got a comic in; very droll, very dry, very Chic Murray. Next year they got a magician who was awful. Year after they got a comic, who was awfuller. So they went back to Chic Murray guy for year four - and he did the exact same routine, word for word, same gags and everything.  Ended up being entertaining because some of us started shouting his punchlines at him. 

4 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Why didn't they just buy a new door, and have you tried changing the element on yours? 

Just now, welshbairn said:

Why didn't they just buy a new door, and have you tried changing the element on yours? 

My skills with things like plugs, doors and elements are about zero. I wouldn't even know what the element looked like, or how to change one. 

As for my folks, they had been talking about a new oven for a while anyway as their one was almost 10 years old. 

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

My skills with things like plugs, doors and elements are about zero. I wouldn't even know what the element looked like, or how to change one. 

Google your oven model and there will be a youtube tutorial. It's a piece of pish and costs around a tenner iirc, certainly less than 20. Had to change mine about a month ago, 4 screws, pull out the old one and in with the new. It's insane what people throw away these days.

P.S. 10 years is not old for an oven. I read you talking about selling the best car you'd ever had because it was 3 1/2 years old on another thread, didn't understand that either.

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I'd wager that your skills are no worse than mine.  

I only did it myself because I had to.  It was early in the first lockdown and I was convinced that the task of changing the element would be wildly beyond me.

It wasn't.  It was a piece of piss, aided by a YouTube video.  I just called our local place with details about the cooker and they sold me the element.  In normal circumstances, I'd have got them to fit it too, at vast expense.  Doing it myself really was a doddle though and I never ever find such things easy.

17 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
23 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:
An aneurysm, most likely. There's not even anything or just eat or fuckall. 

Can't you go somewhere else to eat? Or get a delivery?

It's looking like I will have to. Will see if this Chilli Con Carne is up to much. No delivery's within ten miles. Domino's is just a bit further so will probably head there. The shops shut at 7pm. Takeaways at 9:30pm.

Not used to this shit.