Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Workmates of mine went to Mount Rushmore for work about 10 years ago. One of the team was a vegetarian. 

Apparently they would go to this diner near the monument and her dinner choice was a quarter of a lettuce covered in mayonnaise. Every night for 3 weeks. That was the vegetarian option.

21 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Workmates of mine went to Mount Rushmore for work about 10 years ago. One of the team was a vegetarian. 

Apparently they would go to this diner near the monument and her dinner choice was a quarter of a lettuce covered in mayonnaise. Every night for 3 weeks. That was the vegetarian option.

Hope none of your mates were sharing a room with her as it must have been like a horsebox by the time the 3 weeks was up 😧😟

When I go out for a meal with company there's usually a mix of carnivores and veggies, so It's great that everywhere has at least one vegetarian option these days and it's not just stuffed peppers. Means I can get my steak oozing blood and they can get whatever rabbit food they like too. If there was a good vegetarian restaurant nearby I'd have no problem trying it out though, only eat meat half the time at home anyway. 

I've absolutely no issue with vegan food - people can eat what they like. They should, however, stop trying to pretend that it replicates the taste and texture of meat, though, because it doesn't.

I do admit I find it slightly annoying when a restaurant has a "meat" dish on the menu that turns out to actually be plant based, and don't have the same dish on the menu made with actual meat.

At work where someone sends you an email asking a question and then someone else (usually a project manager, in fact always a project manager) either forwards the same email to you or replies all within about 30 seconds asking you to respond.

Give me a fucking chance to respond before asking again you twat.

stand in the real meat aisle and take some deep breaths. Don’t worry. They’re not going to take your precious bacon away.

There's less diversity in a Scottish supermarket meat aisle than there is at your average Orange Lodge as it is. These vegan options absolutely eat into the footage allocated for meat and fish, resulting in even more cuts of meat being wasted.

So in the medium term while the tonnage of meat consumed will drop, the number of animals killed will remain constant. All the while consumers will be steered away from hyper-nutritional fresh foods like liver toward ultra-processed vegan alternatives.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

All the while consumers will be steered away from hyper-nutritional fresh foods like liver toward ultra-processed vegan alternatives.

A fair point. I wonder how many people decide to buy a plant based meat alternative once or twice a week for no reason other than it is "healthier" without realising that they aren't really.

A few years ago my wife lost some weight by following a low carb diet. It’s obviously only one way to lose weight and won’t work for everyone and lots of low carb advocates are barmy but it really worked for her. One thing that was interesting was the reaction of her mother, who reacted to someone losing weight while eating meat like a Labrador that’s just been shown a card trick. She just assumed that diet meant low fat and was perplexed by it not being like that. 

In a related way she also buys vegan food unnecessarily. She is convinced that vegan = healthy. She bought me a vegan birthday cake one year. I can’t think of any reason why a vegan chocolate cake would be better for your health than a regular chocolate cake. I also just don’t like the taste of a lot of the substitute food, I’m not sure what component it is that leaves a funny aftertaste but it’s something I find with most vegan food I taste.

one of our close friends is vegan and we try to go to vegan restaurants when she stays with us and I enjoy eating at them but the everyday stuff isn’t something I could eat regularly, just in grounds of taste.

4 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I think it makes sense to have vegan substitutes for lots of reasons but one is when you’re transitioning from a meat based diet to a plant one and you’re no confident at cooking then it’s easy to just switch out the real stuff for the fakes.

Do you slice your roast beef a bit thinner while transitioning?

6 hours ago, Smurph said:

The recent trend of plant based food is great, as when I go to a restaurant I don’t have to order a macaroni cheese or a mushroom risotto every fucking time. Not that there’s anything wrong with them but it’s nice to have a choice.

If you find yourself annoyed by a display of products in a supermarket, just walk away, stand in the real meat aisle and take some deep breaths. Don’t worry. They’re not going to take your precious bacon away.

ha ala Athletico Mince and Slaughterhouse....

At work where someone sends you an email asking a question and then someone else (usually a project manager, in fact always a project manager) either forwards the same email to you or replies all within about 30 seconds asking you to respond.
Give me a fucking chance to respond before asking again you twat.

PTTGOYN

Project Managers