Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

My point is the opposite to that. It's clearly not meat, I just find it odd that there's not vegan-specific names for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

Why?

Words like 'sausage', 'bacon' etc. are human constructs. So are 'burger' and 'rib'. The animals don't call themselves sausage and bacon. Anything can be called whatever you want it to be.

What would your proposed alternative to a vegan hamburger be, for example?

5 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

My point is the opposite to that. It's clearly not meat, I just find it odd that there's not vegan-specific names for what it is, rather than what it isn't.

Hamburger, beef burger, veggie burger, veggie sausages, who cares?

Edited by welshbairn

The recent trend of plant based food is great, as when I go to a restaurant I don’t have to order a macaroni cheese or a mushroom risotto every fucking time. Not that there’s anything wrong with them but it’s nice to have a choice.

If you find yourself annoyed by a display of products in a supermarket, just walk away, stand in the real meat aisle and take some deep breaths. Don’t worry. They’re not going to take your precious bacon away.

I haven't heard any vegans get anywhere near remotely as angry as perma-seething meat-eaters when it comes to vegan food. A typical interaction goes like this:
Gregg's: we're introducing a vegan sausage roll!
Vegans: nice one, cheers!
Perma-seething meat eaters: BLOODY VEGANS EATING ALL OUR FOOD IT'S CALLED A SAUSAGE ROLL HOW CAN IT BE CALLED A SAUSAGE ROLL IF THERE'S NO SAUSAGE BLOODY SNOWFLAKES LOVE A BACON SANDWICH ME
Just waiting for Viz to introduce new cast member....... Biffa Vegan.

5 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I don't really have an alternative. I just find it odd that when marketing/advertising is tailored to the customer it seems a bit vague to use those labels. 

19 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Why?

Words like 'sausage', 'bacon' etc. are human constructs. So are 'burger' and 'rib'. The animals don't call themselves sausage and bacon. Anything can be called whatever you want it to be.

Bacon is a cut of meat and rib is a body part. The alternative to your suggestion is drop ham from the name.

20 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Why?

How do you account for the dog on That's Life that could say "sausages"? 

Who fucking cares what someone else eats?  
I'm neither vegan or vegetarian by the way.  It just amuses me how raging people get over it.

I think this is the bit that annoys people the most, being lectured constantly about how bad meat is by vegans is tedious but as you have said there is some amount of gammons foaming at the mouth because of vegan sausage rolls.

It really should be eat what you want and mind your own business.

Agree entirely but whatever it is should be very clearly labelled to avoid misrepresentation to normal people.
Aye deliberately misleading people to eat something isnt right but let's be serious the vast majority of the time it says vegan before the foodstuff.

23 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

I don't really have an alternative. I just find it odd that when marketing/advertising is tailored to the customer it seems a bit vague to use those labels. 

The market isn’t really for vegans/vegetarians, as generally they know the brands and products available that they can buy from.

It’s so that those looking to eat less meat don’t get freaked out at “mushroom and pea protein based lentil patty with red onion” and get put off. If it’s labelled as a burger, it’s more easy for “normal people” as @Newbornbairn put it, to try.

54 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Why?

A plantburger

On 21/01/2022 at 18:21, BFTD said:

There appears to have been an amnesty where her fans handed all copies of it in to charity shops in exchange for their lives.

See also: Susan Boyle, Razorlight, Robbie Williams, post-reform Take That, and any Madonna album past 1994.

Don't forget Toploader.

Never forget Toploader.

24 minutes ago, Newbornbairn said:

Agree entirely but whatever it is should be very clearly labelled to avoid misrepresentation to normal people.

I haven't ever seen any instance where it isn't clearly labelled. My daughter gets the very same ham and cheese toastie from Costa fairly regularly and it's labelled 'vegan'.

3 minutes ago, Left Back said:

A plantburger

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why should they have to drop the 'ham' from the name but not the 'burger'? Both names are human inventions.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I haven't ever seen any instance where it isn't clearly labelled. My daughter gets the very same ham and cheese toastie from Costa fairly regularly and it's labelled 'vegan'.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Why should they have to drop the 'ham' from the name but not the 'burger'? Both names are human inventions.

Ham is a specific thing.  It's a cut of meat from a pig.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ham

A burger is a food patty

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/burger

If you make a food patty out of something other than ham it's still a burger.  It isn't a hamburger though.