Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Cash machine at my local Spar....

Options include Cash only, cash and balance, cash and receipt, balance only. 

Select cash only, "would you like to check balance?" No, select amount. "Would you like to check balance?" No, "Would you like a receipt?"

Heads gone

On 14/01/2022 at 11:14, scottsdad said:

Perhaps not a petty thing, but here goes anyway. My parents are elderly now, and my dad is in very poor health. 

During Storm Arwen their roof was damaged with tiles falling off (and hitting mum's car) and other damage. The day after the storm my folks tried to get a roofer to come out and look at the work, but they were all busy. Eventually they got one company to come out and look at it. 

As my dad was ill mum dealt with them herself. I did offer to handle it for her but she said no. Anyway, eventually the guy comes out and quotes £1500 to fix the roof.  Mum claimed that on insurance and the £1500 was paid fairly quickly.

Over the 2 months or so since, he has mucked my parents around. Not turning up when he was supposed to, then arriving unannounced. He left his deputy to actually fix the roof when the tiles arrived and he told my mum that they didn't fit. Worse than that, he then told mum that she needed a whole new roof. Given the week mum had, she was very, very upset. My neice was there at the time, luckily, and told the guy to just fix the roof as requested and no more.  The guy grumbled and did the job anyway - but finished by leaving my folks with a quote for over £11k for a new roof. 

Mum was upset, but the one thing she vowed was that if she were to get a new roof in the summer, it would be with a different company. 

The day after the roof was finished the guy showed up for payment. Mum got her chequebook out and said to the guy "Fifteen hundred pounds, right?"

"Aye, plus VAT. That's eighteen hundred," he replied. And she just paid him. 

She was very upset - £300 out of pocket. Had she been told that she would have claimed the whole amount from insurance. I was livid. I'm sure this guy has swindled my folks but mum won't let me know the name of the company so that I can speak to this dodgy fucker. I suspect this is because he knows he isn't getting to re-roof the house. 

Ive just seen this. I don't know if anyone replied but your mum should be able to claim the £300 from the insurer for the VAT aspect. Insurers don't normally pay VAT aspect until they receive a VAT invoice so pass it to them and they will pay the £300.

41 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cash machine at my local Spar....

Options include Cash only, cash and balance, cash and receipt, balance only. 

Select cash only, "would you like to check balance?" No, select amount. "Would you like to check balance?" No, "Would you like a receipt?"

Heads gone

All independent cash machines do that.  The machine provider is paid per transaction.  Checking balance and getting receipts are separate transactions.