Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Right, you've touched upon the key issue.  I might be wrong, but experience suggests that the thinner slices take less time to toast than the thicker ones.  Therefore, although Mothers Pride undoubtedly makes the best toast, one cannot simply [insert LOTR meme] throw the slices in on normal high setting without burning the thinner one to a f***ing crisp.  As a result, it's a multistage process.

This is spicing up nicely...what do you do?

Have a perfect thin one and a raw thick one? A perfect thick one and a cremated thin one? Or somewhere in between so that the thick one is a bit raw and the thin one a bit burnt?

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Right, you've touched upon the key issue.  I might be wrong, but experience suggests that the thinner slices take less time to toast than the thicker ones.  Therefore, although Mothers Pride undoubtedly makes the best toast, one cannot simply [insert LOTR meme] throw the slices in on normal high setting without burning the thinner one to a f***ing crisp.  As a result, it's a multistage process.

Surely the easiest thing would be to select two slices that are similar in size and leave the scabby wee bit for someone else?

3 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

This is spicing up nicely...what do you do?

Have a perfect thin one and a raw thick one? A perfect thick one and a cremated thin one? Or somewhere in between so that the thick one is a bit raw and the thin one a bit burnt?

You take the thin but out and continue to toast the thicker slice whilst you spread the thinner one.  However, invariably one will get distracted and then be alerted to the background situation by the smoke alarm going nuts.

1 minute ago, Rugster said:

Surely the easiest thing would be to select two slices that are similar in size and leave the scabby wee bit for someone else?

This is Mothers Pride we're talking about.  The packaging is non-transparent, and I'm not blindly pulling multiple pieces out slice by slice knowing I'll need to carefully place some back in again.

8 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

You could cut each slice in half and toast both halves then do the same with the other two halves.  

Perhaps not a petty thing, but here goes anyway. My parents are elderly now, and my dad is in very poor health. 

During Storm Arwen their roof was damaged with tiles falling off (and hitting mum's car) and other damage. The day after the storm my folks tried to get a roofer to come out and look at the work, but they were all busy. Eventually they got one company to come out and look at it. 

As my dad was ill mum dealt with them herself. I did offer to handle it for her but she said no. Anyway, eventually the guy comes out and quotes £1500 to fix the roof.  Mum claimed that on insurance and the £1500 was paid fairly quickly.

Over the 2 months or so since, he has mucked my parents around. Not turning up when he was supposed to, then arriving unannounced. He left his deputy to actually fix the roof when the tiles arrived and he told my mum that they didn't fit. Worse than that, he then told mum that she needed a whole new roof. Given the week mum had, she was very, very upset. My neice was there at the time, luckily, and told the guy to just fix the roof as requested and no more.  The guy grumbled and did the job anyway - but finished by leaving my folks with a quote for over £11k for a new roof. 

Mum was upset, but the one thing she vowed was that if she were to get a new roof in the summer, it would be with a different company. 

The day after the roof was finished the guy showed up for payment. Mum got her chequebook out and said to the guy "Fifteen hundred pounds, right?"

"Aye, plus VAT. That's eighteen hundred," he replied. And she just paid him. 

She was very upset - £300 out of pocket. Had she been told that she would have claimed the whole amount from insurance. I was livid. I'm sure this guy has swindled my folks but mum won't let me know the name of the company so that I can speak to this dodgy fucker. I suspect this is because he knows he isn't getting to re-roof the house. 

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Perhaps not a petty thing, but here goes anyway. My parents are elderly now, and my dad is in very poor health. 

During Storm Arwen their roof was damaged with tiles falling off (and hitting mum's car)...

alarm.gif.bec1ca37ee764147acd224b529dc4ce2.gif

The wife was watching a show yesterday. There was a woman on it who was single talking about the kind of man she hoped to meet. 

"I want a tall man. Five foot nine at least."

5'9" is shortarse territory. 6 feet minimum for tallness imo. 

10 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The wife was watching a show yesterday. There was a woman on it who was single talking about the kind of man she hoped to meet. 

FF6BAD11-9F38-4C71-BE57-2E9A0A2F1C8D.jpeg

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

You, Scott, and yer maw. 

Ruel St. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You, Scott, and yer maw. 

Ruel St. 

This is males obviously. 

My sister and niece are both over 6 feet tall, as is Scott. My dad used to be but has shrunk over the years. 

Mum was 5'10" when she was younger but has likewise shrunk over the years.  

Absolutely referring to my mother as "mumsy" from now on, and tagging Hedgecutter in every time.

Something of a pyrrhic victory, considering he knows where I live, but you take what you can.

6 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Depends how short the woman is. I’m 5ft 3, everyone is tall to me 🤣

25 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Absolutely referring to my mother as "mumsy" from now on, and tagging Hedgecutter in every time.

Something of a pyrrhic victory, considering he knows where I live, but you take what you can.

Hiya Richard O'Brien, hiya pal.

My other half has become enlightened to the fact that my decent vodka in the freezer is very tasty when tasted neat.

"Oooh, I could drink that, can I start having some?"

I preferred it when she thought I was just a straight vodka drinking alcoholic.