Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

You expect kids at restaurants, I'd be fizzing if there was a dog sitting barking though and I love dogs.
Restaurants are pretty up front about their dog policy, and you can ask on booking, so it's easy enough to avoid those which allow dogs.

At the sort of restaurants I go it's rare to see children (especially the babies and toddlers who do the wailing to which I referred). I used to work at a hotel restaurant though and Sunday lunchtimes were intolerable. We got more dogs than young children on the whole though and the dogs caused far fewer problems.

There was one evening when a dog was in that barked every time a dish was ready in the kitchen. It turned out that the bell the kitchen used to alert waiting staff was the same as the doorbell in the dog's home.

4 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Restaurants are pretty up front about their dog policy, and you can ask on booking, so it's easy enough to avoid those which allow dogs.

At the sort of restaurants I go it's rare to see children (especially the babies and toddlers who do the wailing to which I referred). I used to work at a hotel restaurant though and Sunday lunchtimes were intolerable. We got more dogs than young children on the whole though and the dogs caused far fewer problems.

There was one evening when a dog was in that barked every time a dish was ready in the kitchen. It turned out that the bell the kitchen used to alert waiting staff was the same as the doorbell in the dog's home.

That must have been a hilarious night for the guests.  

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

This might be an Unpopular Opinion, but the last thing I want to see or hear when I'm out for a meal in a restaurant is children. Obviously not in restaurants or places that are geared up for them.

easy answer to your problem-don’t go out for meals

13 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

This might be an Unpopular Opinion, but the last thing I want to see or hear when I'm out for a meal in a restaurant is children. Obviously not in restaurants or places that are geared up for them.

Aye. Leave the wee b*****ds outside with a packet of crisps and a can of lemonade as generations of Scottish children were outside pubs... 

4 hours ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

1. Dogs in restaurants. Twice recently I’ve been out for food and there’s been a barking dug at one of the other tables. How self-entitled do you have to be to think that’s acceptable?

2. Cars sticking their hazards on and just parking anywhere, blocking roads etc. Worst culprits are taxi drivers and DPD. Also cars parking on double yellows next to a junction so that it obscures the view of the driver trying to emerge from said junction. Selfish c***s.

It's ironic that you currently have to walk into a restaurant wearing a mask to prevent the spread of germs and some slobbering hound gets to sit at a table. 

2 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Rather a barking dog than a wailing child.

False dichotomy.

I was in Brel in Ashton Lane and I’m not in the habit of checking a place’s ‘dog policy’ before I go to them. Animals shouldn’t be in places where food is either being prepared or served. A quiet old man pub in the afternoon I can probably accept the odd dog. Other than that, no.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

It's ironic that you currently have to walk into a restaurant wearing a mask to prevent the spread of germs and some slobbering hound gets to sit at a table. 

Agreed, dogs should be be made to wear masks indoors IMO. 

False dichotomy.
I was in Brel in Ashton Lane and I’m not in the habit of checking a place’s ‘dog policy’ before I go to them.

Well either you start doing that or you just put up with occasionally having to share a room with a dog.

Apparently your petty thing is being too lazy to put in the slightest effort to make your life more tolerable, and mine is people reacting defensively when you try to help them with their problems.

28 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

As someone with 3 kids 1 of which is a toddler I'm totally with you on this one.  In general I don't mind if some other kid is having a meltdown at another table , I'm just relieved that's it's not us having to deal with it, as long as it's in a family oriented setting. I'd be pretty miffed if I took MrsP out for a nice dinner at somewhere like Rogano and had to contend with screaming kids and the like.  Why anyone would want to take young kids out to somewhere that isn't set up for them anyway is beyond me. 

I have owned a dog and wouldn't have her in the same room in the house when people were eating.
Unless it was an assistance dog, why would you take one to a restaurant?

Where I used to work a lot of it was people out for a long walk with the dog and stopping in for some food or drink. The dog could slurp some fresh water from a bowl while they did so.

Regardless of the rights or wrongs of dogs being in the same room as food, work was always far more pleasurable when there was a dog or two in.

20 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I have owned a dog and wouldn't have her in the same room in the house when people were eating.

Unless it was an assistance dog, why would you take one to a restaurant?

You'd be surprised the way some people treat their dogs.  literally never go anywhere without them.  I've got friends like that (all female, anecdotal but seems to me like blokes are happier to leave the dog at home when they're going out).

I've taken my dogs to the pub many times but personally would never take them to a restaurant.

12 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You'd be surprised the way some people treat their dogs.  literally never go anywhere without them.  I've got friends like that (all female, anecdotal but seems to me like blokes are happier to leave the dog at home when they're going out).

I've taken my dogs to the pub many times but personally would never take them to a restaurant.

If it's the cost, you could go halfs.

I always try to find dog free places to go on holiday, campsites, beaches etc. Problem is the number of people who don't think that means their dog is barred. 

Feel like restaurants should be dog free by default and flag up if they allow dogs, rather than putting the onus on potential customers. Lots do advertise that they are dog friendly so that normal people can avoid them. 

As someone with 3 kids 1 of which is a toddler I'm totally with you on this one.  In general I don't mind if some other kid is having a meltdown at another table , I'm just relieved that's it's not us having to deal with it, as long as it's in a family oriented setting. I'd be pretty miffed if I took MrsP out for a nice dinner at somewhere like Rogano and had to contend with screaming kids and the like.  Why anyone would want to take young kids out to somewhere that isn't set up for them anyway is beyond me. 

Pretty much this. If you want a nice quiet meal then go to a nicer place. Don't go to a family oriented place for food then moan when it's noisy with kids.

Having said that, the flipside is arsehole parents who let their kids do what they want when they're out. That's not acceptable regardless of the venue IMO.

2 hours ago, tamthebam said:

And then there's the dogs...