Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

The inability of people to correctly spell a three letter word, the latest example appearing in the Covid 19 thread.

It's "no skin off my nose" not "of my nose".

That's not an inability to spell - that's an inability to understand the English language.

... or in some cases, simply proof reed following predictive text.
Sounds familiar. I'll read a post and get annoyed at an of/off or it's/its then ten minutes later make the same mistake myself by swipe texting and not proofreading before posting.

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:
20 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:
... or in some cases, simply proof reed following predictive text.

Sounds familiar. I'll read a post and get annoyed at an of/off or it's/its then ten minutes later make the same mistake myself by swipe texting and not proofreading before posting.

Proofreading is largely a waste of time with me.  For whatever reason, I can read over it without spotting anything and then spot a mistake the second it posts up (an unusually high proportion of my posts have an edit tag). Same with emails once I see the sent product. 

I also have an inability to spot mistakes in MS Word, although I find that proofreading a document once in PDF form makes a significant difference.

7 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Proofreading is largely a waste of time with me.  For whatever reason, I can read over it without spotting anything and then spot a mistake the second it posts up (an unusually high proportion of my posts have an edit tag). Same with emails once I see the sent product. 

I also have an inability to spot mistakes in MS Word, although I find that proofreading a document once in PDF form makes a significant difference.

Same here

51 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

That's not an inability to spell - that's an inability to understand the English language.

Whereas writing "should of" instead of "should've" is just plain pig ignorance.

28 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've hardly ever posted anything on here without an edit which is an embarrassing habit to transfer to email and texts where you don't get the opportunity. 

As a recent example, it turned out that there was a typo in the big bold title on page one of my thesis that neither myself or the two examiners managed to spot. 😄

Unfortunately there were plenty of others for them to pick up on. 😔

43 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Whereas writing "should of" instead of "should've" is just plain pig ignorance.

I've never had much of an urge to Grammar Nazi, but when "should ov"  became commonly used online I had difficulty not visualising a drooling simpleton using face-to-keyboard typing.

I bet "ov" is in the dictionary now. That's the world in which we're living.

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

As a recent example, it turned out that there was a typo in the big bold title on page one of my thesis that neither myself or the two examiners managed to spot. 😄

Unfortunately there were plenty of others for them to pick up on. 😔

Rock's and Stones: how to tell them apart.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

The inability of people to correctly spell a three letter word, the latest example appearing in the Covid 19 thread.

It's "no skin off my nose" not "of my nose".

Reminds me of the time my pal and I were getting a huge row off of our PE teacher, Mr McFarlane (a sound cvnt, incidentally) and he was proper raging at us for being very, very late to class and disrupting the lesson. 

"If youse don't want to come tae class then it's no skin off ma teeth!"

Actual footage of McFarlane (below left) and young Velo Army (below right).

giphy.gif