Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

9 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I say this almost every time as a goodbye, genuinely never crossed my mind that someone would get annoyed by it.

Where has it come from? It used to be something you’d hear Americans say with reference to Christmas. One what? It’s like randomly wishing someone a happy birthday. 

Just now, Shandon Par said:

Where has it come from? It used to be something you’d hear Americans say with reference to Christmas. One what? It’s like randomly wishing someone a happy birthday. 

Any time I say "have a good one" I just mean the rest of their day, or if it's a work colleague leaving on a Friday it'll refer more generally to the weekend. It could mean Christmas around Christmas time. I'm not sure where it's come from, I've been saying it my whole life tbh. 

11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Any time I say "have a good one" I just mean the rest of their day, or if it's a work colleague leaving on a Friday it'll refer more generally to the weekend. It could mean Christmas around Christmas time. I'm not sure where it's come from, I've been saying it my whole life tbh. 

Yeah I just mean have a good day/weekend/time period until I see you again. It’s just a casual goodbye.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Just don't say it to anyone heading into the bog.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

1970s America apparently - just an alternative to the "Have a nice day" shit they come out with.  

1 minute ago, DiegoDiego said:

What is the best thing for someone in a shop to say to a departing customer? "Have a nice day" etc. is twee and insincere, "goodbye" seems a bit cold and "Have a good one" is apparently a Christmas thing.

Thank you...customer dependent.

What is the best thing for someone in a shop to say to a departing customer? "Have a nice day" etc. is twee and insincere, "goodbye" seems a bit cold and "Have a good one" is apparently a Christmas thing.

Don't let the door hit your arse would be my phrase of choice.

Cheerybye.  Keep the American chat where it belongs.  

42 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I prefer the German cold stare and barely perceptible nod. 

I switch it up. Saying ‘have a nice day’ all the time is just so dull so at least it makes me feel like I’m not a robot when I say something else.

‘Would you like a wee bag?’ and ‘Would you like a wee receipt?’ is a bit harder to switch around, and most of the time you say it on auto-pilot anyway, knowing fine well the customer doesn’t need those.

I was trying to pay for a bottle of wine at the self service till. It was quite quiet, after 9. The wifie gave me a full five minute monologue about what provisions she'd be making for her vegan guest at Christmas. Apparently there's a vegan turkey with mushroom stuffing, she wont put bacon in all the sprouts and it's a struggle to find little veggie sausages to make pigs in blankets. All before pushing the "clearly over 25" button. 

I wish she'd just said "have a good one" 

5 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I was trying to pay for a bottle of wine at the self service till. It was quite quiet, after 9. The wifie gave me a full five minute monologue about what provisions she'd be making for her vegan guest at Christmas. Apparently there's a vegan turkey with mushroom stuffing, she wont put bacon in all the sprouts and it's a struggle to find little veggie sausages to make pigs in blankets. All before pushing the "clearly over 25" button. 

I wish she'd just said "have a good one" 

Sounds like she's going to have a shite one. 

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

The weird one is "See you later!"