Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

The sky guy on the phone casually working through his flip chart, asking us to do all the things we've already tried before we called. 

"The reason we're calling is because all this didn't work". 🤬

A month we've had it. Playing up already. No impressed. 

The BBC. Consider this article: Covid vaccine ‘waning immunity’: How worried should I be? - BBC News

There have been warnings from doctors and the UK's Health Security Agency that waning immunity is leading to deaths even of people who have had two doses of a Covid vaccine. So how much protection are we left with?

Let's nail some basics. The immune system has two big roles - to stop us getting infected, and if that fails, to clear our bodies of an infection.

I want you to stretch your imagination and picture your immune system as a medieval castle.

Surrounding the castle is a hostile and ruthless army of coronaviruses desperate to break in.

Your first defence is an outer wall patrolled by a legion of archers. These are your body's neutralising antibodies. If they can hold the viral army off, then you won't get infected.

But if the walls crumble and the antibody-archers wander off, then the virus is in. It has stormed the castle and you now have an infection.

It's good to know that the BBC's audience for news about this topic is apparently 4 year olds.

On 11/11/2021 at 06:47, Melanius Mullarkey said:

FTFY 

Amusingly this is a perfect example of the mandela effect. The song is in fact heigh ho heigh ho it's home from work we go

Most assume its hiho hiho it's off to work I go. 

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

"ESP 0-0 SWE", just because of the inconsistency of only Spain getting their abbreviation written in their native language. 

That's not true, though, is it?

ETA No, it's not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOC_country_codes#section_2

Edited by Todd_is_God

9 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The BBC. Consider this article: Covid vaccine ‘waning immunity’: How worried should I be? - BBC News

It's good to know that the BBC's audience for news about this topic is apparently 4 year olds.

The immune system:

"Ah told them we already got Covid"

"Allo you dirty virus, your DNA smells of elderberries.."

1 hour ago, Todd_is_God said:

That's not true, though, is it?

ETA No, it's not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOC_country_codes#section_2

Well, yes, it is.  ESP is clearly based on España, whilst SWE is not based on Sverige (and is very clearly based on English, not Swedish).  

They could easily have applied the English to Spain too (there are no codes starting with SP after all, nor SV), hence I now extend my annoyance to IOC abbreviation system for its sheer inconsistency.

Eta: unless you're thinking that I meant that Spain is the only country in the world to get special abbreviation treatment, which I didn't.  I meant between the two mentioned.

Edited by Hedgecutter

50 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

If Scotland played Switzerland in a German speaking canton it could be at a stretch abbreviated as SWE v ALB

(Schweiz v Alba)

As it stands, Sweden-Denmark is SWE-DEN.

Of course, Denmark starts with 'Dan' in Danish, German and French (forgetting any umlaut), so there's another Anglicism.

... and considering that every other Nordic country got an Anglicised version (FIN for Suomi being the most notable one), how the f*** did Iceland dodge ICE? 🤔

Edited by Hedgecutter

On 10/11/2021 at 10:54, NotThePars said:

My da's trying to get a flight to Thailand (sus reasons) and the application process feels like a total lottery with random weird obstructions thrown up.

Article about getting into Thailand in today's paper here. Targeted at Aussie passport holders but imagine its much the same for Brits. 

https://www.traveller.com.au/entry-into-thailand-for-australians-how-to-get-a-thailand-pass-and-other-requirements-h1zs6s

Of course, Denmark starts with 'Dan' in Danish, German and French (forgetting any umlaut), so there's another Anglicism.
... and considering that every other Nordic country got an Anglicised version (FIN for Suomi being the most notable one), how the f*** did Iceland dodge ICE? [emoji848]
They didn't become an IOC member until much later when cultural sensitivity was more prevalent.

10 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

... and considering that every other Nordic country got an Anglicised version (FIN for Suomi being the most notable one), how the f*** did Iceland dodge ICE? 🤔

Germany will never be allowed to play in Niger although away to Burkina Faso could be a tasty fixture.

On 14/11/2021 at 10:13, 19QOS19 said:

Switched leckie suppliers last month and Bulb have sent me my outstanding bill. The total is 6 times the amount I paid them a month.

Been there with Scottish Power. Christ, even typing their name gives me the rage. 

What SP did with me was delete all my old bills from their online system. Then they recalculated my electricity bill by multiplying my previous three years' worth of electricity by their standard tariff at that time (ie not the tariffs I was on during those three years). Unluckily for them, I'd always downloaded my statements and could show what they had done. 

I asked them to rectify this and provide me an accurate bill. They sent me another bill that reduced the size of the bill but still not right. Eventually I went to the ombudsman who (after a lot of time) ordered them to manually calculate the bill for me. Plus, they should pay me £50 as a goodwill gesture. Eventually they did calculate it properly and once the £50 was applied, I owed them about twenty quid - not the £900 they initially said. 

Never give in with these fuckbags. And don't threaten to go to the ombudsman, just do it.