Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Weird, isn't it.
some years ago, I lived up in the Shetlands, and used to annoy the locals by pronouncing Lerwick, Lerrick.

We were up there at the end of August this year, the tour guide told us that some of the older locals would indeed pronounce the name of their biggest town as Lerrick as opposed to ‘Lur-Wick’.
There were also frequent mentions of Lerrick in the TV Series ‘Shetland’ starring Douglas Hemshall as DI Jimmy Perez.[emoji6]

25 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Wait a minute. Folk aren’t saying Lerrick?

Especially in Shetland.

It really gets on your wick.

Eta...

There's a place down south called Bicester, which the local yokels insist on calling Bister.

I suppose it's a bit like Milngavie.

Edited by ICTJohnboy

5 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Weird, isn't it.

some years ago, I lived up in the Shetlands, and used to annoy the locals by pronouncing Lerwick, Lerrick.

They'd definitely have been annoyed with you calling Shetland, "The Shetlands"

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Especially in Shetland.

Eta...

There's a place down south called Bicester, which the local yokels insist on calling Bister.

My childhood ended the day I found out that the racecourse was at Towcester, and there was nowhere called Toaster.

23 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

My childhood ended the day I found out that the racecourse was at Towcester, and there was nowhere called Toaster.

If you google pronunciations for Bicester and Towcester it comes up with Bi-Stuh and Tow-Stuh.

Reminds me of a few years ago coming across a guide to the Mull of Kintyre, obviously written in England, which mentions the Island of Gigha and helpfully points out it is pronounced GEAR!

Especially in Shetland.
Eta...

Or Slaithwaite near Huddersfield, West Yorkshire which for some reason is actually pronounced ‘Slaw-It’(sounds like ‘Slough-it’)! [emoji15]

7 hours ago, throbber said:

I got in a heated debate about the pronunciations of the place Alnwick the other day. How can any place name or any word for that matter have 2 silent letters? If you want it pronounced Anick then take the l and w out of the place name otherwise I’m saying it as it’s spelt.

You're going to be very disappointed on any future visit to Belvoir Castle.

2 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Probably.

They did get annoyed when I mentioned "The Mainland" basically meaning the RUK as opposed to the Shetland mainland.

During a visit to Belfast I discovered that you could tell somebody's political and/or religious leanings by whether they referred to 'The Mainland' or 'Across the Water'.

I remember getting ripped about seven years ago here for saying "Southwark" as it is spelt and not how it should be pronounced (Suthick). Apparently this was funny. 

They were instantly referred to Kilconquhar, which oddly enough shut them up. 

7 minutes ago, Michael W said:

I remember getting ripped about seven years ago here for saying "Southwark" as it is spelt and not how it should be pronounced (Suthick). Apparently this was funny. 

It's actually "suthuk"  :P

2 hours ago, GordonD said:

During a visit to Belfast I discovered that you could tell somebody's political and/or religious leanings by whether they referred to 'The Mainland' or 'Across the Water'.

"Londonderry" or "Derry"