Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

12 hours ago, BFTD said:

Sympathies. I went arse over tit during a parents' race at the wean's sports day a number of years back, but figured that my pride had taken the worst hit. Took a few days before the stiffness on one side turned into a pervasive dull, grinding ache due to a cracked rib (f**k knows how, I fell on grass). It was always there for a couple of months, and would punish me if I moved the corresponding arm in ways that it didn't like.

Worst part was that I couldn't moan about it because I'd have to explain how it had happened  :ph34r:

Mine happened on one of those daft banana boat things that get pulled along by a speedboat. When he did the usual hairpin turn flinging us two adults and two weans into the water, I must have landed flush on the surface. The impact and probably the life jacket cracked two ribs as I later found out. Felt it straight away though but couldn't show it as one of the kids was panicking and needed help to get back on. Doing this and then getting myself on was horrendous. Worst of it was we had another four 'hilarious' splashes before we roared at the guy to pack in and head to shore.

One shall not be doing such a thing again. 

15 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Calendars which start on a Sunday.  No week ever commenced on a Sunday. Ever. 

Yep, the clue is in the title, weekend.  As in the end of the week.

A week starts on a Monday.

16 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Calendars which start on a Sunday.  No week ever commenced on a Sunday. Ever. 

Microsoft Teams and Outlook is shite for this. I work for the NHS and a university so have two accounts and each time I log out the calendars reset to start on a Sunday. I think it's an American thing, like the backwards dates.

28 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Jeremy Corbyn GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

4 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

Microsoft Teams and Outlook is shite for this. I work for the NHS and a university so have two accounts and each time I log out the calendars reset to start on a Sunday. I think it's an American thing, like the backwards dates.

Yup, Yanks and dates can get firmly in the toilet.

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

As pointed out, Jews would disagree. As ironically would the Germans - their word for 'Wednesday' is 'Mittwoch'(or Midweek) which only works if Sunday is Day One.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

As pointed out, Jews would disagree. As ironically would the Germans - their word for 'Wednesday' is 'Mittwoch'(or Midweek) which only works if Sunday is Day One.

I'm not Jewish or German, so Monday is the first day of the week.

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

Sympathies. I went arse over tit during a parents' race at the wean's sports day a number of years back, but figured that my pride had taken the worst hit. Took a few days before the stiffness on one side turned into a pervasive dull, grinding ache due to a cracked rib (f**k knows how, I fell on grass). It was always there for a couple of months, and would punish me if I moved the corresponding arm in ways that it didn't like.

Worst part was that I couldn't moan about it because I'd have to explain how it had happened  :ph34r:

This exact thing happened to me - must be an Alloa thing. They didn't teach balance at the academy. 

Didn't crack a rib but it was shameful. The headteacher cajoled me into joining the dad's race against the wife's better judgement. I was wearing trainers with no grip and it was damp grass. 10 metres in and I was on the floor. My shoulder ached for a week. 

The sounds of the other parents and little kiddies laughing though - that stung! 

1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

This exact thing happened to me - must be an Alloa thing. They didn't teach balance at the academy. 

Didn't crack a rib but it was shameful. The headteacher cajoled me into joining the dad's race against the wife's better judgement. I was wearing trainers with no grip and it was damp grass. 10 metres in and I was on the floor. My shoulder ached for a week. 

The sounds of the other parents and little kiddies laughing though - that stung! 

I got a shove from behind before I took two steps from the uncle of one of the kids; nobody had seen him at the school before, but he was apparently an amateur runner and was a good fifteen years younger than any of the actual parents. Never spoke to him, and I may be prejudiced when I say this, but I'm guessing he may have been an absolute roaster.

Couple of the other parents actually looked upset to have lost too. What is wrong with people.

4 hours ago, GordonD said:

Mittwoch is the middle of the working week Gordon.  Starts on a Monday ends on a Friday.

34 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The Swedish word for Wednesday is Onsdag. Roughly translated, that word means Wednesday. 

The Swedish for Saturday is Lördag, which means "bath day", the dirty b*****ds.

Just gone into Morrisons cafe on my own for my tea tonight.
Buy 2 meals get 1 of them free.
Ffs what is one to do ?
Greed of course.
Finished my fish and chips and now struggling with my lasagne.
Should have brought some homeless dude in with me.

26 minutes ago, superbigal said:

Just gone into Morrisons cafe on my own for my tea tonight.
Buy 2 meals get 1 of them free.
Ffs what is one to do ?
Greed of course.
Finished my fish and chips and now struggling with my lasagne.
Should have brought some homeless dude in with me.

Should have asked for a doggie bag with the lasagne.

12 hours ago, welshbairn said:

The Swedish for Saturday is Lördag, which means "bath day", the dirty b*****ds.

The Thai for Wednesday is Wan Poot, which translates to Speak Day, however, they tell you it's Mercury Day, even though Mercury is a completely different word.

Saturday translates to Girl Day, it's actually means Heaven Day, again completely different words.

The meanings are Sanskrit, from Hinduism, the Thais use words from their language, that mean completely different things.  It's the way they think...same, same but different. 

If ask them why don't you say Wan Sawaan (Heaven Day), they look at you in disgust. It's a minefield...

Edited by SlipperyP

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

The Thai for Wednesday is Wan Poot, which translates to Speak Day, however, they tell you it's Mercury Day, even though Mercury is a completely different word.

Saturday translates to Girl Day, it's actually means Heaven Day, again completely different words.

The meanings are Sanskrit, from Hinduism, the Thais use words from their language, that mean completely different things.  It's the way they think...same, same but different. 

If ask them why don't you say Wan Sawaan (Heaven Day), they look at you in disgust. It's a minefield...

If you are buried on a Wednesday,  is it wan poot in the grave??

3 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

What's  Thai for minefield?