Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That means you need to deal with 2 emails. Just completing the reference is half the hassle. It's  the prospective employer who is asking and most want a checkable history. 

It's just common courtesy to ask if it is OK to put someone as a reference before doing so. 

2 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

It's just common courtesy to ask if it is OK to put someone as a reference before doing so. 

A student who still thinks enough of you to put you down as a reference and this is how you treat him/her? Take a hundred lines and stand in the corner.

1 minute ago, scottsdad said:

I get plenty, and 9 out of 10 times a student will ask if it is OK first. Like I said, just common courtesy.  

It sounds a bit needy on your part. If I managed staff I retain a responsibility to them and prospective new employers. You're  educating them, for the most part, to advance careers. I don't  get why you think otherwise. The "contract" you have should be clearly understood. ie you took the money to observe and report on them.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Cables. Cables that charge your devices. The cable on your vacuum cleaner. Any cable… how can they tie themselves in knots when, last time you used them, you hadn’t left them anywhere near being in knots. Cables are complete cnuts.

The sooner electricity goes fully wireless the better.

31 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

Someone wants to better themselves and gain new employment and @scottsdad is over here being a p***k about it because they didn't have the temerity to ask his permission first.

Bad games, that. 

I don't see how I am being a p***k about it. Just expressing annoyance that I didn't get a heads up - something I see as common courtesy. Most people would check that it is OK to put someone down as a reference. 

When I went for promotion I needed to put 2 references. I got in touch with my guys and asked if it was OK. It would never occur to me to stick their names down without saying anything. 

Anyway, I did the reference for this chap. The form was simple so I just got it done. Sometimes these forms ask for a lot of detail that seems irrelevant but not here. 

19 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I don't see how I am being a p***k about it.   

Because someone is trying to better themselves and trusts you enough to give a decent account for them. You instead see this as your opportunity to think "I deserve prior notice of this". 

Glad that you done the right thing in the end. 

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Cables. Cables that charge your devices. The cable on your vacuum cleaner. Any cable… how can they tie themselves in knots when, last time you used them, you hadn’t left them anywhere near being in knots. Cables are complete cnuts.

Its the scheme goblins that sneak in and do this 

They live in Cables Wynd House.

Artists who don’t like vowels. The Weeknd

Three vowels not enough for you?

Dear Mr. Scottsdad
We have recently offered xxxx employment in the role of xxxx and have been given permission to contact you for reference purposes.
Please complete the attached form and scan and return by email or send a hardcopy to the address below as soon as possible.

My grievance wouldn't be with the student but with the company asking you to do something as soon as possible. "Right I'll just drop what I'm doing and get this done for some c**t I never have and never will meet."