Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

All those "low fat" spreads lose the taste of pepper butter and deliver precisely no benefit health wise, simply slowing you to invest a different, less tasty oil/fat. Imho, obviously.
I do indeed take your point.
They also have terrible texture and a higher melting point, very poor for use on toast.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

The quality of fresh produce in my local Tesco. Potatoes: black in the middle, onions: rotting inside, ginger: turning grey.

They're happy to refund the cost of the item but not for my lost time and the inconvenience.

Never had any problems from Aldi.

Have you considered being better at judging the freshness of produce before you buy it?

1 hour ago, jimbaxters said:

I think one of the big differences is the Scottish obsession with butter. When we were back in summer there the in-laws had two massive tubs of Lurpak in their fridge which was fired on everything. We were the same when we lived there. Although it's available in S.European countries, it's rarely used with olive oil being the substitute. Butter is hellish for you.

Butter is fine. You don't need to adopt a Mediterranean diet to avoid keeling over at 55 with a preventable illness. Other north European countries like Norway do just fine without it. 

The real issue is that we're a country located by the sea and yet most of the population 'don't like fish' and would even turn their noses up at a fish supper never mind seafood. Comparing the Scottish diet of utter shite like chicken nuggets and smiley faces to Norwegians provides the answer.

Being a country of utterly lazy fatarses who want to drive everywhere doesn't help either. 

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Butter is fine. You don't need to adopt a Mediterranean diet to avoid keeling over at 55 with a preventable illness. Other north European countries like Norway do just fine without it. 

Dreary fucking me, big chap.  I guess you've never been to Norway and that the huge 'Norway butter crisis' of 2011 passed you by.

14 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
15 hours ago, jimbaxters said:
I think one of the big differences is the Scottish obsession with butter. When we were back in summer there the in-laws had two massive tubs of Lurpak in their fridge which was fired on everything. We were the same when we lived there. Although it's available in S.European countries, it's rarely used with olive oil being the substitute. Butter is hellish for you.

That Lurpak in tubs isn't butter...

I can't believe it.

Growing up, we had margarine, skimmed milk and all that stuff. Mum didn't want us getting too big, I guess.  My parents went away for a week and left us in the care of our Great Auntie. She looked at what was in the fridge, said a few swear words, and got my brother to take her to the shop. She returned with the full works - proper butter, whole milk, white bread. All the stuff that had been denied to us. 

That whole week she cooked for us and it was magical. 

5 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Growing up, we had margarine, skimmed milk and all that stuff. Mum didn't want us getting too big, I guess.  My parents went away for a week and left us in the care of our Great Auntie. She looked at what was in the fridge, said a few swear words, and got my brother to take her to the shop. She returned with the full works - proper butter, whole milk, white bread. All the stuff that had been denied to us. 

That whole week she cooked for us and it was magical. 

You got a good feed, your dad got his hole, everybody's happy 

12 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Butter is fine...Other north European countries like Norway do just fine without it. 

Except that there was also a sentence between those two statements, which you have decided to edit and delete to pretend that you haven't made a c**t of yourself. 

Swing and a miss. 

Have you considered being better at judging the freshness of produce before you buy it?
All best befores were still days away, all looked and felt fine until you cut into them. They advertise their produce as "fresh" so the onus should be on them.

Have you considered what the point of the PTTGOYN thread is?

49 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Which was not the issue. It's the saturated in butter that's the difference.

Difference in what? Olive oil isn't particularly good for you. The "benefits" of it are highly exaggerated and while butter isn't "better" it's not much worse. I'm also not sure it's that prevalent in the kitchens of those who are obese and unhealthy.

12 minutes ago, velo army said:

Difference in what? Olive oil isn't particularly good for you. The "benefits" of it are highly exaggerated and while butter isn't "better" it's not much worse. I'm also not sure it's that prevalent in the kitchens of those who are obese and unhealthy.

As a stand alone product, disregarding other areas of diet, olive oil is a healthier (or for the sake of pedantry) less unhealthy than butter. Fact.

If I was a Dundee fan, I'd end with "Thank You" as well.