Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Treated myself to a golf GTi a couple of years back and managed to get a few £k off. Sold it at the start of this year and noticed in the garage the exact same spec/age is mine is up for sale at the same price I paid for mine brand new 2 years ago.
The microchip shortage is driving up the prices as it’s hard to get new some new cars.
Aye, if folks have cars in their household they don't really need any more then it's a good time to sell although prices still look to be going up so maybe not at the top yet. Lots of people getting their factory orders cancelled or equipment downgrades.

Glad I replaced my wife's old car at the start of the year just before this all started to happen.

18 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

maybe the time away from it made them realise how overrated going out and getting smashed actually is.

I think this is more than probable. After a year or so forced abstinence through illness, I just never bothered going back to drinking. I wouldn't say I'm teetotal, but I reckon in recent years I've not had more than a couple of gallons of beer per annum, and I just don't drink wine or spirits any more*. Maybe akin to that time in the 80's when industrial action took the live football off our screens, and many of us realised we weren't missing rushing home from the pub on Sunday to watch the likes of Coventry and Sunderland. You just get into new, different habits.

*In fairness, this is because, post-radiotherapy, my taste buds have regenerated - wine now tastes like the bottle's been open a couple of weeks, and spirits fucking hurt.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie

18 hours ago, keithgy said:

That reminds me of an story i read online of a woman moaning about the road noise after she bought a house beside a road despite viewing the house 5 times!!!

'Why can't the Spanish go somewhere else for their holidays?': British grandmother, 81, claims her trip to Benidorm was ruined because her hotel had 'too many Spaniards in it'

10 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

“Why does xenophobic British grandmother, 81, not just go to Blackpool for her holidays”, would be a far better headline.

8 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

“Why does xenophobic British grandmother, 81, not just go to Blackpool for her holidays”, would be a far better headline.

"Why does xenophobic British grandmother, 81, not just go to Seafield, Warriston or Mortonhall for her holidays" would be my headline.

On 22/09/2021 at 14:15, scottsdad said:

The Spanish government used to provide free holidays for Spanish pensioners, not sure if they still do. (And I think it was more of a winter treat.)

A couple of years our hotel was split 60/40, maybe 70/30 between ageing and decrepit Brits and ageing but reasonably fit Spaniards. Never caused any issues.

9 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

A couple of years our hotel was split 60/40, maybe 70/30 between ageing and decrepit Brits and ageing but reasonably fit Spaniards. Never caused any issues.

must have caused some issues  when you spent all of the holiday ignoring “er indoors “and looking at the “ageing and reasonably fit Spaniards “ round the pool. 

EE04D188-0849-4714-841A-F3747F7C277D.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Arthur daley said:

must have caused some issues  when you spent all of the holiday ignoring “er indoors “and looking at the “ageing and reasonably fit Spaniards “ round the pool. 

EE04D188-0849-4714-841A-F3747F7C277D.jpeg

In general older Spaniards, male and female, certainly do look physically fitter than their U.K. counterparts.  I say that as one of those counterparts.

Lifestyle and diet certainly serves them well.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

In general older Spaniards, male and female, certainly do look physically fitter than their U.K. counterparts.  I say that as one of those counterparts.

Lifestyle and diet certainly serves them well.

I think one of the big differences is the Scottish obsession with butter. When we were back in summer there the in-laws had two massive tubs of Lurpak in their fridge which was fired on everything. We were the same when we lived there. Although it's available in S.European countries, it's rarely used with olive oil being the substitute. Butter is hellish for you.

I think one of the big differences is the Scottish obsession with butter. When we were back in summer there the in-laws had two massive tubs of Lurpak in their fridge which was fired on everything. We were the same when we lived there. Although it's available in S.European countries, it's rarely used with olive oil being the substitute. Butter is hellish for you.
That Lurpak in tubs isn't butter...

11 minutes ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:
54 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

That Lurpak in tubs isn't butter...

Well I doubt it has many enhanced health benefits over butter so you'll take my point.

12 hours ago, jimbaxters said:
Well I doubt it has many enhanced health benefits over butter so you'll take my point.

All those "low fat" spreads lose the taste of proper butter and deliver precisely no benefit health wise, simply allowing you to invest a different, less tasty oil/fat. Imho, obviously.
I do indeed take your point.

Edited by WhiteRoseKillie