Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I have happy memories of my two summers spent as a roads worker. I didn't do the repairs but rather identified them. I walked every mile of motorway and trunk road in the Stirling and P&K council areas with a trundle wheel, hand held computer (this was 1997 so it was the size of a small suitcase) and tin of spray paint. 

Each year we had a different colour of spray paint. The second year I did the job I was spraying over my own markings from the year before where the roads had not been fixed. 

Couldn't work in the rain, so rainy days were spent with coffee, bacon rolls and newspapers sitting in the van. Occasionally I'd go on the dead animal patrol. Happy days.

15 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Anything that gets them working more than 3 hours a day would be fine. The Japanese can do this in 6 days:

image.jpeg.1751ea6c9b7fb919af680cf192270883.jpeg

Well, they did manage to get the Burma Railway built in just over a year.

#TooSoon

26 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

Each year we had a different colour of spray paint. The second year I did the job I was spraying over my own markings from the year before where the roads had not been fixed...

Happy days.

^^^

05e7ffcbab4b4f1141cd0a3e29315546.jpg.5895c5d482ab413a35702e97b83dcc4c.jpg

3 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I really think we need some sort of action against road workers. They must be the most shiftless c***s taking home a wage. I'm sure road workers have been asked to identify themselves on here and defend their profession but none have ever been forthcoming, presumably because they know they're shiftless b*****ds and have no argument. There's a bridge in Old Kilpatrick that they built last year, then after a few weeks realised it was fucked, left it open for months and about 4 weeks ago they've shut it again with (as far as I can tell) no completion date mentioned. I drive by it twice every day at peak times and I'm yet to see a worker there. It's not a major problem for me but it does mean I only have 1 road I can drive home and if there's an accident there (as there usually is) then everyone is fucked. 

It was a temp bridge they put up last year and is now being replaced with a permanent one. It's due to be completed by the beginning of December. 

Eta I find it a minor pain in the arse. It's added about 15 minutes on to my supermarket trip but it's still better than going to Clydebank for my shopping which would currently be quicker. 

Edited by microdave

7 minutes ago, microdave said:

It was a temp bridge they put up last year and is now being replaced with a permanent one. It's due to be completed by the beginning of December. 

Eta I find it a minor pain in the arse. It's added about 15 minutes on to my supermarket trip but it's still better than going to Clydebank for my shopping which would currently be quicker. 

I didn't realise that the bridge was temporary, sounds like an utterly mental idea tbh. 3 months to build a bridge that's about 10 metres long. Sort of backs up my point here.

I didn't realise that the bridge was temporary, sounds like an utterly mental idea tbh. 3 months to build a bridge that's about 10 metres long. Sort of backs up my point here.
I think it's taking that long because it crosses the railway. Mind you, I haven't seen any workers there either or had any noise which was likely according to the letter Network rail sent me before they started.

1 minute ago, microdave said:

I think it's taking that long because it crosses the railway. Mind you, I haven't seen any workers there either or had any noise which was likely according to the letter Network rail sent me before they started.

It's taking that long because they are shiftless b*****ds, Dave, and I won't be convinced otherwise!

5 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Anything that gets them working more than 3 hours a day would be fine. The Japanese can do this in 6 days:

image.jpeg.1751ea6c9b7fb919af680cf192270883.jpeg

To be fair the Japanese are shit-hot engineers. On an old episode of QI Stephen Fry told the story of a Japanese guy who was in Hiroshima on business when the atomic bomb was dropped. He wasn't injured and returned home - to Nagasaki so he was there when that was bombed too. But the point was that the day after a nuclear attack the trains were still running.

33 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

On a slightly related topic, modern day genuine train spotters.

What the f**k. Oh look there's the exactly build train as the one going the other way. Mental.

The trainspotters themselves while leading sad and curious lives are themselves fairly harmless and don't irritate me too much.  What does irritate me is grown adults (not spotters) who wave at trains . "We're out for a walk in the countryside , oh look theres a train , let's wave at it " . 

8 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Foundry Loan STILL being shut, 6 weeks past due and then deciding to shut Tryst Road too.

Fucking seething wheres my Boghead Ranter at

It’s a massive PITA. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone working on the Foundry Loan ones either. At least the roadworks on the way to Torwood have fucked off now.

Mind the South Alloa road was closed for about 14 years to repair a shitty wee bridge

3 hours ago, GordonD said:

To be fair the Japanese are shit-hot engineers. On an old episode of QI Stephen Fry told the story of a Japanese guy who was in Hiroshima on business when the atomic bomb was dropped. He wasn't injured and returned home - to Nagasaki so he was there when that was bombed too. But the point was that the day after a nuclear attack the trains were still running.

Shit hot at brutality and torture as well.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Chicken Wing said:
2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:
On a slightly related topic, modern day genuine train spotters.
What the f**k. Oh look there's the exactly build train as the one going the other way. Mental.

^^^ urges the drivers to blast their horns!

Only because they miss the station!