Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Was in a Sam Smith's pub in Manchester once that had guys walking around telling people off for using their phones. Nearly got chucked out for checking P&B while my pal was having a pish 

Sam Smith's pubs are often quite weird places, often very cheap as well to be fair. I can drink most of the stuff but it's an acquired taste.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One of the oddest corners of Twitter is the diet corner. This guy is the most crazed of them all - he’s adapted the paleo/carnivore diet to consist of claiming to only eat raw meat, usually left to room temperature.

This includes raw chicken.

going to continue to monitor to see if the guy stops tweeting forever after a heavy load of raw meat. Mental.

Was it him^^^?

1 hour ago, Newbornbairn said:

Mrs NBB has just given a bit more detail - the popcorn cup was full (to the brim) of diarrhoea and was found in one of the loos, which was itself liberally covered in puke, inches deep around the pan, in the pan, over the cistern. The expert medical opinion of the staff was someone had been having an "event" where eruptions were occurring simultaneously from both ends. Going by the splatter patterns, they surmised he had been kneeling over the bowl holding the popcorn cup by his arse (there was even a spray of diarrhoea up the inside of the door).

16 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Exactly. The "whit if there is an emergency?" line gets used anywhere mobiles are banned. Addicts!

The point is we shouldn't be looking at blocking phone signals, we should be "educating" folk on their proper usage i.e. if you use the phone in the cinema, you're out

10 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Talking of phones, at the end of one showing an irate gentleman demanded to see the manager as he wanted a refund. He'd felt the need to shite shortly after his film had started so left his wife in the auditorium whilst he went to the nearest loo - a disabled one by the door. Once in he'd let fly so to speak, before discovering there was no bog roll.  Now why he didn't use the sink or some other alternative I have no idea, instead he tried phoning his wife but her phone was switched off whilst she enjoyed the film. He sat there for an hour and a half until the film ended and she switched her phone on again. Now he'd been rescued, he wanted a refund on the basis he'd missed the film because my wife didn't put loo roll in the bog. 

It sort of speaks volumes for a relationship if one of you disappears to the loo at the start of a film and the other doesn't bother their arse to see what's happened to you until the credits roll.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

It sort of speaks volumes for a relationship if one of you disappears to the loo at the start of a film and the other doesn't bother their arse to see what's happened to you until the credits roll.

Either that or it's a cracking source for a quote on the poster: "Rab fúcked off for a shite and I was so engrossed in Captain America's Black Widow Assembly that I never noticed for the whole three and a half hours!" - Senga McLung, East Kilbride.

12 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Talking of phones, at the end of one showing an irate gentleman demanded to see the manager as he wanted a refund. He'd felt the need to shite shortly after his film had started so left his wife in the auditorium whilst he went to the nearest loo - a disabled one by the door. Once in he'd let fly so to speak, before discovering there was no bog roll.  Now why he didn't use the sink or some other alternative I have no idea, instead he tried phoning his wife but her phone was switched off whilst she enjoyed the film. He sat there for an hour and a half until the film ended and she switched her phone on again. Now he'd been rescued, he wanted a refund on the basis he'd missed the film because my wife didn't put loo roll in the bog. 

He should have used his single use socks like any normal person. 

14 hours ago, BFTD said:

I would happily murder anyone using a phone during a film, or refusing to shut the f**k up.

I'd happily murder most people at the best of times TBH, but those c***s would get extra murdered.

I remember a letter in Viz (one of the genuine ones) from somebody in Newcastle who said he was at the pictures sitting next to Ruud Gullit, who spent the entire film translating the dialogue into Dutch for the benefit of his wife/girlfriend.

13 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

Presumably his wife wasn't carrying a spare bog roll in her handbag, so he was expecting her to tell a member of staff. So why didn't he phone the cinema directly to alert them to his plight?

18 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

After 2 weeks of wearing shorts and flip flops, i've had to put socks and trousers on today, and I am less than fucking pleased about the whole thing.

Opposite for me, been pinged into isolation so I'm sat at home doing Teams calls in my pants.

Win some, lose some I guess. 

One of sister companies is moving to a new location,  about 10 minutes away,  they've got to be out of the old place by Friday,  and they'd decided to keep the place open whilst trying to get stuff shifted for the move, now they are struggling ahead of Friday, and have borrowed two of my yard guys from My team at work, leaving us shorthanded.  Surely shutting for a couple of days would have been the better option??

Edited by philpy

Had a very bad week and submitted to temptation tonight, having a donner kebab for dinner followed by a Caramac. First carbohydrate and sugar I've eaten since February.

The Caramac was so, so good.

On 27/07/2021 at 11:33, Gaz said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but there are a couple of issues with what you're saying:

1) I read an article a few years back that essentially said that cinemas make very little money from selling tickets to films. Their profits almost entirely come from selling snacks. Popcorn is dirt cheap to make and sells for a big markup. It contributes a massive amount to profits (along with juice) and if it wasn't for that it'd cost a lot more to actually buy a ticket.

2) I get pissed off with folk on their phones as well but not sure how asking a bunch of 18-year olds on minimum wage to put themselves in a situation of chucking someone out would go down.

Pretty much agree with the rest of your post, though.

You are correct on both those points.

That said:

1) It's because (and I'm reducing a complex situation to a very facile point) the cinemas as a whole don't kick back to the production companies more. They have been squeezed ridiculously for about 40 years now and have largely just taken it.
Apart from that, on the subject of the mark-ups, this is also true, and it's akin to restaurants needing to mark-up wine wildly. But maybe that's just an indicator that these industries as a whole aren't willing to be honest with themselves or their clientele about what cost/price should be.

2) True. But just hire 1 bouncer per cinema. Said 18 year olds can flag them to relevant screen to batter dickheads when needed.

16 minutes ago, milton75 said:

1) It's because (and I'm reducing a complex situation to a very facile point) the cinemas as a whole don't kick back to the production companies more. They have been squeezed ridiculously for about 40 years now and have largely just taken it.

I get the impression that's now because the studios would be more than happy to just release straight to streaming platforms, and that would the end to the viability of widespread cinemas. The future looks a bit bleak for the multiplex at the moment.

I know there are plenty of people who wouldn't give a shit, but I remember the extermination of the small local theatre/cinema in the Eighties, and it was depressing as f**k.

9 hours ago, BFTD said:

I get the impression that's now because the studios would be more than happy to just release straight to streaming platforms, and that would the end to the viability of widespread cinemas. The future looks a bit bleak for the multiplex at the moment.

I know there are plenty of people who wouldn't give a shit, but I remember the extermination of the small local theatre/cinema in the Eighties, and it was depressing as f**k.

I worked in a local cinema back in the late 70s.  Seated about 600 people but anything over 100 was a good crowd. One person at the ticket booth, one at the snack bar, an usher in the stalls and one in the balcony, projectionist and a manager; 6 folk to show one film.No wonder they went broke.

Filthiest behaviour I remember was some bloke engaging in an act of self pleasure. Probably would have got away with it but the woman in the row in front had hung her coat over the back of the seat and was not pleased to find a stream of jizz on it. 

11 hours ago, BFTD said:

Big mistake was moving to out of town shopping centres in smaller towns and cities imo, I can't be arsed going out to the soulless, publess one in Inverness to catch a film.

Edited by welshbairn

We've went through the whole acceptable times to do the lawn and stuff like that..

However, I've worked 12 hour shifts for the last week, this is my one day off for the next week and I was looking forward to catching up on some sleep, cue me being woken up 5 mins ago by the noise of a chainsaw/hedge trimmer thing, the issue with this which has completely confused the life out of me is that the c**t doing it is standing in my front garden trimming a hedge, about 5 metres from my open window. Wtf is he doing in my garden uninvited. Is that a thing? If this was Murica he would be shot in the leg at least. I couldn't even tell you who the guy is, I don't recognise him at all. 

ETA - There's also a man with down syndrome in my back garden mowing the lawn. I am so confused. 

Edited by SANTAN