Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

10 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I had a rather nice dream last night involving an English actress from the 2000s but I can’t remember what she was in or what her name is as I was going to do some further research today. Looked a bit like Julia Sawalha/Samantha Morton, with brownish curly hair.  Sure she was in sitcoms or some such. 

It's on the tip of my tongue

57 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I had a rather nice dream last night involving an English actress from the 2000s but I can’t remember what she was in or what her name is as I was going to do some further research today. Looked a bit like Julia Sawalha/Samantha Morton, with brownish curly hair.  Sure she was in sitcoms or some such. 

Hattie Jacques

Came home and found a card from TNT courier saying a parcel had been left in the black bin. It's actually grey but that's the least of what's wrong. Some choice by the driver as everybody along the street has their bin out because, aye, today is bin day. A street full of bins at the roadside and the fact the bin was full wasn't enough for the driver to think maybe leaving it at the back door would be a better option. Naw, put it in the full bin. What an idiot.

Time machines based on X,Y,Z coordinates.  It's easy to forget that the Earth is flying through space at 220km per second and that returning to the same point at a different time (even a minute) will see you end up in empty space, several thousands of miles away from the nearest planet.

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Time machines based on X,Y,Z coordinates.  It's easy to forget that the Earth is flying through space at 220km per second and that returning to the same point at a different time (even a minute) will see you end up in empty space, several thousands of miles away from the nearest planet.

It does seem to me to be a bridge to far to expect someone who invented a time machine to have accounted for this at the calibration stage right enough......

19 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Well that’s the last six years down the drain…

37 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

One of 2000 AD's Johnny "Strontium Dog" Alpha's weapons was the time bomb that hurled the victim a few minutes into the past by which time the planet had moved on and the victim was left in the vacuum of space.

Best weapon was, of course, the Sternhammer silencer.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

How about matter transporters? The Earth is spinning at around a thousand miles an hour at the Equator, so if you go from, say, Singapore to Reykjavik you better hit the ground running.

You would think that if someone did create a time machine, they would have come back and told us about it by now.

2 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

Waiting on a delivery from USA. LANGLEY HWDC, Wales have had it since last Monday. wtf are the lazy b*****ds waiting for. Usual shite about unprecedented times. Just post the feckin' thing.

Langley, as in the HQ of the CIA? Ah well, I enjoyed your posts m9.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

You would think that if someone did create a time machine, they would have come back and told us about it by now.

I invented a fully functioning time machine about 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, the ramifications were so disastrous that I had to go back in time and stop myself inventing it.

Just now, Funky Nosejob said:

I invented a fully functioning time machine about 30 years ago.

Unfortunately, the ramifications were so disastrous that I had to go back in time and stop myself inventing it.

What happened to your younger self?

There's an Ian M Banks book where some guy doing his PHD in Exobiopology or something is camped out in the bowels of an enormous interstellar jelly fish, gets into bother and is put onto life support. When he wakes up he's told he's been unconscious for an entire orbit of the Milky Way which means any civilization he ever knew almost certainly ended a couple of hundred million years ago, at least. 

P.S. He was basically an anthropologist for aliens, but my greek and latin aren't up to scratch.

Edited by welshbairn