Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

2 minutes ago, BFTD said:

At this time of year, unless a cold tap is on in another room, they could mix up the hot and cold taps and not know the difference  <_<

Would be quite interested to know what that's all about TBH. Surely it's not possible for the cold water to feed back into the hot supply unless there's an outlet for it elsewhere.

In another post I said we only have cold water but it's not as bad as it sounds as the water comes out lukewarm - hot depending on how sunny it's been that day.  

What exactly is the problem with your cold water supply?

25 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I feel I may have opened a can of worms with this, we need a plumber here to tell us the correct orientation of taps.

Cold on the right, hot on the left.

It used to amuse me reading the bill of quantities at the start of new jobs 'Taps, the hot tap shall be fitted to the left of the cold tap'

Wind forward a few decades and basins, sinks and baths are mostly combination or monoblock taps where the orientation is set.

40 minutes ago, BFTD said:

It's the opposite on all the taps in our house. But, considering that you have to turn cold water on in one room in order to obtain properly hot water from a tap in another room, I'm quite happy to believe that our plumbing was implemented by a cack-handed moron.

(no, I didn't do it myself)

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

What do you think would be a fair mark-up, considering the extra expenses involved in operating what essentially amounts to a bricks-and-mortar retail establishment, with none of the price advantages of buying in mass quantities that distance sellers have? You're not alone in that line of thinking at all, but I don't think people quite realise exactly how expensive it is to operate a traditional retail outlet.

(I've got two cats who cost me about £150 a month, by the way, so I feel your pain)

The consultancy fee is fair enough - you're asking for an expert's opinion and paying for that knowledge so £40 for a 60 second examination is not unreasonable.

40-50% mark up is standard for retail. Bear in mind the online price of £14 probably includes a 30% mark up so the cost is maybe £10.  That makes the vet's 70% mark up excessive (cost £10, selling price £34.23)

Forget the detail, not that you'll be able to work it out anywho, but I've attached an example of what passes for standard social media posting in this country.

I actually think it might be a positive message of some sort but it fucking bothers me that someone who went through the same education system as me ends up posting a mixed up jumble of words and letters without any sort of apology for the mental gymnastics required to work out what the f'ck it is they're actually trying to say

Mind you - the replies are full of folk who know exactly what he's saying so maybe I'm the fucking dafty

Screenshot_20210710-122130_Facebook.jpg

The experienced plumber heads for the washing basket.
This made me laugh much more than it should have.
Forget the detail, not that you'll be able to work it out anywho, but I've attached an example of what passes for standard social media posting in this country.
I actually think it might be a positive message of some sort but it fucking bothers me that someone who went through the same education system as me ends up posting a mixed up jumble of words and letters without any sort of apology for the mental gymnastics required to work out what the f'ck it is they're actually trying to say
Mind you - the replies are full of folk who know exactly what he's saying so maybe I'm the fucking dafty
Screenshot_20210710-122130_Facebook.thumb.jpg.1aedcdd854ad56cb0bce8fb1d7e67575.jpg
Jeezo, what age are these folk?

2 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Screenshot_20210710-122130_Facebook.jpg

I have brain cancer now.

7 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

People showing up to things really early. Having a barbecue at the house and first people show up 45 mins before the agreed time. 

That's what you get for inviting my dad to your BBQ.

PS 45 mins early is actually late for him. If he's visiting, I usually tell him an arrival time that an hour later than we want him to arrive, that way he's usually pretty much on time.

Edited by Boghead ranter

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

I do like Pure DAB radios and they have abandoned a few years ago what my gripe is.

It was the thing about 10 years ago to cover gadgets in a rubber coating and who ever thought that up should be fired at the moon as after only a couple of years it starts to degrade and become a sticky mess that picks up dust.

I have a Pure DAB One Flow which I'm going to attempt to clean all this gunk off using white spirits..

Anyone have other ideas how to clean this off?

I think this rubber coating was also used on the interiors of some cars and items like computer keyboards and mice.

Pretty sure I have old PS3 controllers somewhere that have a similar problem with the joysticks. Kitchen towel usually takes that off, although with them it's easier to grip and rub them to get everything off. Either way I would try that before white spirit.

1 hour ago, Don Diego De la Vega said:

The Forum generally goes down for a little while between 0415 & 0445hrs (503 error or such like)  just in my last hour of shift 4 hours of dedicated reading and then nada! 

furiously refreshing page until order is restored 

Div wakes up each morning at 0415 from a recurring vivid nightmare about Morton pumping St Mirren. 

11 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

a similar problem with the joysticks. Kitchen towel usually takes that off, although with them it's easier to grip and rub them to get everything off. Either way I would try that before white spirit.

Kenneth-Williams3.jpg