Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

57 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You are very detached from reality if you think that is what is happening.

For some it will be the case, but for what is almost certainly a much larger percentage it isn't and for them it really is a struggle.

You're coming across quite Tory here. Stupid poors shouldn't be stupid!

Aware of that but  i've seen and experienced enough of this to form my own opinions

I went to college, first thing when the bursary and loans came in? every single person in my class had spent the lot on new computers, clothes, phone within the month. Some of them had kids, not a penny was spent on bettering their lives, all for the benefit of them.

Worked with a boy who had 30k worth of "student debt" this was accumulated because he said what you don't realise is all that credit you get through loans and cards? you actually have to pay it back and you don't think about it. 

Several girls i used to work on 20k jobs driving in with a brand new leased bmw/audi with their new build houses, a number of them lost their jobs and couldn't afford the lifestyle.

An ex of mine who was on the dole EVERYNIGHT was takeaway costing about £30, never cooked for herself.

I see how people handle money, they get it and it HAS to be spent on something.

When i was 20 on 10k a year i saved the majority of it so i could buy myself a flat while the others were renting flats, buying cars and eating out weekly. They had zero interest in saving for the future.

And i'll admit part of it's jealousy, i wish i could do these things and blindly spend money i should be saving  but i want to be able to keep myself a float should i lose my job , become ill or need to look after the family.

Edited by red23

£30 takeaways EVERY NIGHT on the dole? Nope.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON in your class spent their student loan on new computers, phones, clothes every single month? Nope. Also, how could you possibly even know that?

Saved the majority of £10k a year to buy a flat? Not impossible. How much were these flats?! How did you support yourself, i.e. pay bills and buy food etc whilst saving the majority of a £10k wage?

£20k jobs with new build houses? Nope.

You've lied here to try and prove your myopic point. Do you know much money you get on the dole? Suffice to say someone spending £30 a night on takeaways would be going hungry very quickly. £20k salary and getting a new build house? But how did they save for the deposit if they're spending all their cash like you claim? And what banks are lending to these people on that salary? People buying new phones and computers every month? So everyone ended up with multiple phones and computers? Every single one of them? Did you survey them all every single month to find this out? A guy with £30k student loan debt is irrelevant, as what he pays back depends on his salary. He could be paying back as little as £0 each month if he makes below £25,000 a year.

There are definitely folk who are reckless spenders and there are folk who are careless or even clueless spenders. There's also folk who aren't financially literate. It's not like you get taught things about finance in school (although such things absolutely should be on the curriculum).

However, there are sadly too many folk who are just struggling to get by as it is, for various reasons, and simply can't afford a deposit for a house or to put money in savings each month or pay more in to a pension etc. The cost of living keeps going up and wages are falling further behind.

Edited by DA Baracus

55 minutes ago, red23 said:

When i was 20 on 10k a year i saved the majority of it so i could buy myself a flat while the others were renting flats, buying cars and eating out weekly. They had zero interest in saving for the future.

So you spent less than £5000 a year on your rent, food, utilities, bills and essentials? Absolute bollocks. You're either lying or you were still living with your parents.

Edited by Cyclizine

1 hour ago, red23 said:

Aware of that but  i've seen and experienced enough of this to form my own opinions

I went to college, first thing when the bursary and loans came in? every single person in my class had spent the lot on new computers, clothes, phone within the month. Some of them had kids, not a penny was spent on bettering their lives, all for the benefit of them.

Worked with a boy who had 30k worth of "student debt" this was accumulated because he said what you don't realise is all that credit you get through loans and cards? you actually have to pay it back and you don't think about it. 

Several girls i used to work on 20k jobs driving in with a brand new leased bmw/audi with their new build houses, a number of them lost their jobs and couldn't afford the lifestyle.

An ex of mine who was on the dole EVERYNIGHT was takeaway costing about £30, never cooked for herself.

I see how people handle money, they get it and it HAS to be spent on something.

And i'll admit part of it's jealousy, i wish i could do these things and blindly spend money i should be saving  but i want to be able to keep myself a float should i lose my job , become ill or need to look after the family.

I take it this was a while ago and 60 inch tellies didn't exist?

I'd rather be skint than be a miserable c**t with no memories apart from Saturday nights in the house looking at my savings book and having a chug while everyone else is out actually enjoying life 
There's probably a middle ground between those two tbf Bert [emoji38]

Euro 20/21 sun forum has been added to the International Football and Other Sports section. It's been added at the top of the list meaning I've clicked on the Women's Football tab by mistake at least half a dozen times instead of Other Sports.

23 hours ago, Rasputin said:

^^ The Message, just in case any heathens don’t know what these finely-dressed gents are doing here. 

Would have loved it if the tune was called The Messages.

Saw him a few years ago. Outstanding.

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

£30 takeaways EVERY NIGHT on the dole? Nope.

EVERY SINGLE PERSON in your class spent their student loan on new computers, phones, clothes every single month? Nope. Also, how could you possibly even know that?

Saved the majority of £10k a year to buy a flat? Not impossible. How much were these flats?! How did you support yourself, i.e. pay bills and buy food etc whilst saving the majority of a £10k wage?

£20k jobs with new build houses? Nope.

You've lied here to try and prove your myopic point. Do you know much money you get on the dole? Suffice to say someone spending £30 a night on takeaways would be going hungry very quickly. £20k salary and getting a new build house? But how did they save for the deposit if they're spending all their cash like you claim? And what banks are lending to these people on that salary? People buying new phones and computers every month? So everyone ended up with multiple phones and computers? Every single one of them? Did you survey them all every single month to find this out? A guy with £30k student loan debt is irrelevant, as what he pays back depends on his salary. He could be paying back as little as £0 each month if he makes below £25,000 a year.

There are definitely folk who are reckless spenders and there are folk who are careless or even clueless spenders. There's also folk who aren't financially literate. It's not like you get taught things about finance in school (although such things absolutely should be on the curriculum).

However, there are sadly too many folk who are just struggling to get by as it is, for various reasons, and simply can't afford a deposit for a house or to put money in savings each month or pay more in to a pension etc. The cost of living keeps going up and wages are falling further behind.

I've got no reason to lie but i can expand. 

ex had 2 kids got support from her kids dad who worked offshore and family. 

EVERYONE spunked the money away on nonsense not just computers - i knew because funny enough i was in a class with them and the discussion of what they bought was brought up regularly.

20k job but rented property 

Chose to stay at home extra year to save up deposit unlike mates. When i moved in to my first flat i was on 18k a year and lived quite comfortably despite a £650 mortgage so i'm not sure what people are doing. Flat was bought for 90k.

As you see from the other replies some folk assume i had a sad life sitting in all the time? no i was just cautious and just knew how not to waste my money and save it for important things like going out getting pished.

Edited by red23

The folk not saving are putting money in the pockets of shopkeepers, their employees, the landlord of the building, the cleaners, the utility companies, and of course into the exchequer. Having money when you’re old doesn’t ward off the grim reaper.

1 hour ago, red23 said:

Chose to stay at home extra year to save up deposit unlike mates. When i moved in to my first flat i was on 18k a year and lived quite comfortably despite a £650 mortgage so i'm not sure what people are doing. Flat was bought for 90k.

So you were talking bollocks and as predicted you were living and supported by your parents. It's easy to save money when you don't have to spend it on essentials. People living hand-to-mouth genuinely can't afford even basics and certainly can't put anything aside for savings.

13 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

So you were talking bollocks and as predicted you were living and supported by your parents. It's easy to save money when you don't have to spend it on essentials. People living hand-to-mouth genuinely can't afford even basics and certainly can't put anything aside for savings.

When did i say i wasn't staying at home to save the deposit? i made that sacrifice rather than having my own place, it wasn't a pleasant choice believe me but it was to make the best use of my cash which others classmates/friends did't do.

Edited by red23