Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Do you ever find that when you tell someone that something is broken or faulty and you have it logged with the vendor/supplier etc, they always think they can fix it, and proceed to do all the stuff you have already checked?

As in, someone in the same team as you, someone you have the same knowledge as, and in a lot of cases, someone you have more experience than.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes that's the first, most fucking obvious thing I tried'.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes, sorry I know how to fault find this particular thing'.

I know they're just trying to be helpful in most cases, but it does my dick in.  I'm one of these people who hates being defeated by something, then you get some fud asking if you've rebooted or made sure the cables are secure in the back.  f**k off.

I'm guilty of this but that's generally because I work with more than a few workshy c***s who will happily lie to you that they've checked something and say it's not working purely so they don't have to do certain work. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'm guilty of this but that's generally because I work with more than a few workshy c***s who will happily lie to you that they've checked something and say it's not working purely so they don't have to do certain work. 

Aye it's fine in that sense, if the folk you work with are known to be lazy arseholes.  This guy knows I'm pretty logical and know how to check most things when they aren't working properly.  I think he's just trying to look smart and catch me out.

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Now, just five or six years later, I have my own lanyard! Not sure about the grey cord it’s on. May try and get a chunky gold chain to put it on. 

Given your accident record I fear you may be strangled by the thing before too long. 

#prayforabby

9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Aye it's fine in that sense, if the folk you work with are known to be lazy arseholes.  This guy knows I'm pretty logical and know how to check most things when they aren't working properly.  I think he's just trying to look smart and catch me out.

I reckon it's actually a time wasting/procrastination tactic. Feign interest in a problem you know you won't be able to do anything with, waste half an hour looking at it before reaching the conclusion that others have already reached. 

Just now, The Moonster said:

I reckon it's actually a time wasting/procrastination tactic. Feign interest in a problem you know you won't be able to do anything with, waste half an hour looking at it before reaching the conclusion that others have already reached. 

That sounds like the guy I work with.  Nice enough guy, but he does that a lot.

PTTGOYN- The term "Lifelong Learner" and similar buzzwords.

Also, posters around the office with "motivational" quotes. Do these ever change anyone's mindset by being pinned to notice boards etc?

Edited by jimbaxters

8 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

PTTGOYN- The term "Lifelong Learner" and similar buzzwords.

Also, posters around the office with "motivational" quotes. Do these ever change anyone's mindset by being pinned to notice boards etc?

We have a motto above our office door - "Do it right the first time or the customer will find someone who will". I've never felt anything other than disdain for it.

This sort of thing has always happened though, in some way or other.  How many times have you thought of someone and out of the blue you hear from them or meet them.  Or seen a word you have never come across before and the next day the same word crops up.  
Weird shit happens.

This happened to me last week. Had never thought of still game for ages, then suddenly the episode where boaby and navid swap jobs came into my head and that night it was on bbc. I hadn’t even seen the tv scheduling or that. Think it’s the 1st time that’s happened to me though.

9 hours ago, TheScarf said:

Do you ever find that when you tell someone that something is broken or faulty and you have it logged with the vendor/supplier etc, they always think they can fix it, and proceed to do all the stuff you have already checked?

As in, someone in the same team as you, someone you have the same knowledge as, and in a lot of cases, someone you have more experience than.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes that's the first, most fucking obvious thing I tried'.

'Have you tried this?'

'Yes, sorry I know how to fault find this particular thing'.

I know they're just trying to be helpful in most cases, but it does my dick in.  I'm one of these people who hates being defeated by something, then you get some fud asking if you've rebooted or made sure the cables are secure in the back.  f**k off.

Im on the other side of this.

Amount of blokes who come into my work with something wrong with their car, just bluster their way through trying to not to admit they've no idea what they're doing, and cause you to spend longer than is needed to resolve it because they've claimed they've already checked certain things.

I'd put the bin out tonight but it's blawing a hoolie and the bin will be halfway down the street by tomorrow morning so I'll have to put it out tomorrow morning in the hope the scaffies don't come too early.

I've lost two food bins due to the wind blowing them away before. Despite them having the door number on them it was probably too much effort for whoever found them to return them.

14 hours ago, GordonD said:

Mr T.jpg

That stupid frowny thing he does always makes me think of a 6-year old trying to intimidate a smaller kid in the playground. "Don't mess with me, I'm really hard" type thing. I want to tell him how silly he looks and that nobody is impressed.

Then I remember that he is no doubt, as hard as nails and I decide to keep my opinions to myself.  

11 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I'd put the bin out tonight but it's blawing a hoolie and the bin will be halfway down the street by tomorrow morning so I'll have to put it out tomorrow morning in the hope the scaffies don't come too early.

Scaffies are the road sweepers, surely? You're talking about the bucket men.

Though they both do a fine job and we'd be lost without them.

19 hours ago, buchan30 said:

This happened to me last week. Had never thought of still game for ages, then suddenly the episode where boaby and navid swap jobs came into my head and that night it was on bbc. I hadn’t even seen the tv scheduling or that. Think it’s the 1st time that’s happened to me though.

And yet on a daily basis I think of Piers Morgan falling under a train and so far, nothing.

19 hours ago, buchan30 said:

And me. Last week I was talking about something that happened involving an ex of mine...don't think her name had otherwise come up for years.

The next day, I was on the Glasgow Live site looking for something else and ended up clicking on a story entitled "Stuff you'll remember if you went to The Cathouse in the 90s" or similar and the first thing I saw when I opened it was a photo of her with some other punters I know. 

I suppose it's the law of averages that occasionally you'll be reminded of somebody or something twice in quick succession, but it doesn't make it any less spooky when it happens.

12 minutes ago, GordonD said:

For me,  a scaffy is the same as a binman.   I don't what we'd call a roadsweeper other than a roadsweeper. 

1 hour ago, GordonD said:

Scaffy was a scaffolder when I was growing up - road sweepers and binmen were, well, road sweepers and binmen.