Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

49 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

The first outfit I remember wanting and then getting was some of those RNLI yellow waterproofs (neighbour was a fundraiser for them). Was so proud strutting about the garden in them when it rained. 

To the surprise of no one.

14 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I have also told this story before, but one time in work I was talking to a guy while in the canteen who told me about a cleaner who used to work there who was nicknamed Butterbean due to his resemblance to the former boxer/wrestler. I had never heard of Butterbean, I had never watched any boxing/wrestling videos on youtube, but that day when I went home and was on youtube there was a Butterbean compilation video in my suggestions. 

This sort of thing has always happened though, in some way or other.  How many times have you thought of someone and out of the blue you hear from them or meet them.  Or seen a word you have never come across before and the next day the same word crops up.  

Weird shit happens.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

This sort of thing has always happened though, in some way or other.  How many times have you thought of someone and out of the blue you hear from them or meet them.  Or seen a word you have never come across before and the next day the same word crops up.  

Weird shit happens.

^^^ Agent Butterbean.

12 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

The first outfit I remember wanting and then getting was some of those RNLI yellow waterproofs (neighbour was a fundraiser for them). Was so proud strutting about the garden in them when it rained. 

Now it's full gimp look, much to Denton's disgust on walks.

I’m in the same camp as Pete etc. I know it happens, but I’m not too bothered about getting ads etc based on what I’m talking about.

I’m more worried about my phone/laptop/TV getting hacked by someone and actually watching me through the camera. I feel sorry for the hacker that does get through and is faced with me ripping the head off it at close quarters.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Weird shit happens.

This is true. However the point is that it probably only happens one time in twenty (or something like that) but that's the one you remember, not the other nineteen times when nothing happened.

23 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Me - "Alexa, play 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'"

Echo - "Playing 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' by Glee Cast".

f**k off!

Did you manage to get the version you want? Or is it the case that you still haven't....

Nah, f**k it, not worth it.

15 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
15 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:
Dunno about RNLI but MRTs do get govt funding 

Okay, perhaps not entirely reliant but why have a fully funded fire and rescue service but not mountain rescue? I don't see the difference. You can have a nice career in Fire and Rescue but if there's an accident on a mountain you're relying on volunteers.

The RNLI don't want Govt, funding as they would then have to jump through all sorts of hoops. 

7 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
49 minutes ago, hk blues said:
The RNLI don't want Govt, funding as they would then have to jump through all sorts of hoops. 

So they're saying "I don't want people to get paid for saving lives because I might get another boss to report to"?

No.  They are saying we prefer to get our funding from people who will not want a say in how the money is spent.  

29 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No.  They are saying we prefer to get our funding from people who will not want a say in how the money is spent.  

Which has worked out so well for Oxfam recently. 

5 minutes ago, virginton said:

Which has worked out so well for Oxfam recently. 

RNLI receives 2% of its funding from govt. or other public bodies whilst Oxfam receives around 45%.  

Not comparable at all.

10 minutes ago, hk blues said:

RNLI receives 2% of its funding from govt. or other public bodies whilst Oxfam receives around 45%.  

Not comparable at all.

I think you'll find the comparison point was 'charitable organisation that has a curious dislike for external oversight'. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think you'll find the comparison point was 'charitable organisation that has a curious dislike for external oversight'. 

Isn't that all organisations, charitable or otherwise?

The correct answer is Yes.