Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Just now, johnnydun said:

Sure it can be utilised without it getting out.

Mind the papers had a phone tapping scandal and we already know the Government tap into calls listening for words relating to terrorism.

I'm not so sure.  They are such everyday items that so many people use that if they were being used to spy on people it would be happening all over the world and word would have gotten out before now.  The phone tapping was more selective i.e. not everyone was being tapped. 

Anyway, what are you trying to hide?  😉

Just now, hk blues said:

I'm not so sure.  They are such everyday items that so many people use that if they were being used to spy on people it would be happening all over the world and word would have gotten out before now.  The phone tapping was more selective i.e. not everyone was being tapped. 

Anyway, what are you trying to hide?  😉

I've already said too much. Haha.

40 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Tin foil hat on, but I don't trust these voice activated devices in the home, like Alexa, Siri or Ok Google. I just don't believe that they are not listening all the time, whether it be for something innocent like Ad preferences or something darker like the Government.

Probably makes me sound insane but it's a 'no' from me.

A friend of my wife's is a total conspiracy loon (as all single maws are) and said the same to me when we got the Echo. My response now is the same as it was then, if they want to listen to me they're welcome to. I don't know any national secrets, I don't recite nuclear launchcodes and I am not a remotely interesting person. Besides, unless I pretend to be from a different country the fucking thing can't understand me anyway.

30 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I don't trust it either.

I don't know if it's coincidence but sometimes when you talk about something specific, out the blue, not long after an Ad for it can pop up. 

But the way the world is, I need my modern mobile phone. How else would I regularly access the marvellous P&B content?

This absolutely happens. 

3 years back I was talking with someone in the office about Harry Potter. I'd never read, nor searched for anything HP related. This was just a casual chat at our desks. 

Literally later that day, I started getting ads on my social media content for all things Harry Potter related. I'd never spoken about this subject previously to the degree I had earlier, so it definitely fucking happens. Absolutely fucking hate how our phones are a spy on us. If I could get rid of it I would, but it's almost impossible to live without one if you still want to access certain things.

34 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Yeah, I don't trust it either.

I don't know if it's coincidence but sometimes when you talk about something specific, out the blue, not long after an Ad for it can pop up. 

But the way the world is, I need my modern mobile phone. How else would I regularly access the marvellous P&B content?

I get this all the time. It used to weird me out, then it annoyed me, now I'm used to it. Apathy will doom us all.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Its not tinfoil hat in the slightest to think you are being listened to, in fact I imagine its probably undisputed fact now

I'd say suggesting the government are listening through these devices is pretty tin foil hat stuff tbh. The data collected is used for advertising and consumerism, not for the government to spy on you. They'll be able to request access to any data should it be required, but they don't have civil servants sitting listening for keywords on every single message in the country. 

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

I'd say suggesting the government are listening through these devices is pretty tin foil hat stuff tbh. The data collected is used for advertising and consumerism, not for the government to spy on you. They'll be able to request access to any data should it be required, but they don't have civil servants sitting listening for keywords on every single message in the country. 

Aye maybe not the government, but these devices are listening to you all time. And tbh, Amazon are every bit as malevolent an entity as any government

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, johnnydun said:
Tin foil hat on, but I don't trust these voice activated devices in the home, like Alexa, Siri or Ok Google. I just don't believe that they are not listening all the time, whether it be for something innocent like Ad preferences or something darker like the Government.

It wouldn't surprise me tbh. But if they want to spend their day listening to me trying to control two young kids and shouting at the tele they can fire in.

32 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

A friend of my wife's is a total conspiracy loon (as all single maws are) and said the same to me when we got the Echo. My response now is the same as it was then, if they want to listen to me they're welcome to. I don't know any national secrets, I don't recite nuclear launchcodes and I am not a remotely interesting person. Besides, unless I pretend to be from a different country the fucking thing can't understand me anyway.

I am 100% in this camp. Want to hear me shout at the telly and call telly folk wankers? Batter in

51 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Neighbours have put some ridiculously loud wind chimes in their back garden. Fucking why?

Blowing a gale for the past 48 hours including through the night and it's very irritating.

cut them down

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

If someones job is listening in on my Google devices then they have my sympathies.

I'm always a bit intrigued by the number of people who are totally paranoid about what the government might be doing but completely OK with what the corporations are doing. As if the first is evil incarnate while the second is completely benevolent.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Me - "Alexa, play 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For'"

Echo - "Playing 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For' by Glee Cast".

f**k off!

Just now, Sweet Pete said:

If I'm asking the echo to play a song that it won't recognise the name of repeatedly, but I know it has in its library, then I'll do a stereotypical English accent and it recognises it every single time. FEWMING.

I avoid this problem by simply playing songs manually rather than allowing Jeff Bezos into my home to listen to everything I say and do. 

To pre-empt the Moonster, I have a (very bad) smartphone which is only connected to the internet (via wifi) when I'm using it, which is only ever very briefly. 

I have also told this story before, but one time in work I was talking to a guy while in the canteen who told me about a cleaner who used to work there who was nicknamed Butterbean due to his resemblance to the former boxer/wrestler. I had never heard of Butterbean, I had never watched any boxing/wrestling videos on youtube, but that day when I went home and was on youtube there was a Butterbean compilation video in my suggestions. 

3 hours ago, Sweet Pete said:

I get this all the time. It used to weird me out, then it annoyed me, now I'm used to it. Apathy will doom us all.

I know, but I can't be arsed doing anything about it.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I avoid this problem by simply playing songs manually rather than allowing Jeff Bezos into my home to listen to everything I say and do. 

To pre-empt the Moonster, I have a (very bad) smartphone which is only connected to the internet (via wifi) when I'm using it, which is only ever very briefly. 

I have also told this story before, but one time in work I was talking to a guy while in the canteen who told me about a cleaner who used to work there who was nicknamed Butterbean due to his resemblance to the former boxer/wrestler. I had never heard of Butterbean, I had never watched any boxing/wrestling videos on youtube, but that day when I went home and was on youtube there was a Butterbean compilation video in my suggestions. 

Yes, we too live on Earth and have modern tech, grandad.