Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

I can confirm @coprolite is correct on this one. I've been to a Comedy Club precisely once and it was exactly like he said. Admittedly this was an amateur contest rather than professionals but even so, people were literally howling with laughter at anything they said, while I kept waiting on the punchline, the clever observation, the humour...anything.

2 of them had the exact same opening line:
"My girlfriend's a whore. She's a FUCKING WHOOOORE!!!!"

Cue the entire club, minus me, Mrs Shotgun and the couple we were with, men AND women, screaming with delight at the hilarity of it all. It was truly bizarre.

I see some GP practice complains on here and makes me realise that mine must be brilliant in comparison.

I'll keep phoning up until it's no longer engaged (average of three back to back attempts) and when the receptionist answers, she'll say "the next available slot is...".  Typically that'll be a weeks wait, but on some occasions it's been just a couple of days.

Only automated thing I ever use there is for repeat prescriptions, and that's nothing but an answer machine asking you to state your info before hanging up.

10 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Only automated thing I ever use there is for repeat prescriptions, and that's nothing but an answer machine asking you to state your info before hanging up.

I AM CORNHOLIO. I NEED TP FOR MY BUNGHOLE. 

55 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I see some GP practice complains on here and makes me realise that mine must be brilliant in comparison.

I'll keep phoning up until it's no longer engaged (average of three back to back attempts) and when the receptionist answers, she'll say "the next available slot is...".  Typically that'll be a weeks wait, but on some occasions it's been just a couple of days.

My GP has an online facility for repeat prescriptions 👍

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I can confirm @coprolite is correct on this one. I've been to a Comedy Club precisely once and it was exactly like he said. Admittedly this was an amateur contest rather than professionals but even so, people were literally howling with laughter at anything they said, while I kept waiting on the punchline, the clever observation, the humour...anything.

2 of them had the exact same opening line:
"My girlfriend's a whore. She's a FUCKING WHOOOORE!!!!"

Cue the entire club, minus me, Mrs Shotgun and the couple we were with, men AND women, screaming with delight at the hilarity of it all. It was truly bizarre.

I remember an American comic saying that most people come to comedy clubs to laugh, and they're going to laugh even if there's nothing worth laughing at. The reputation for it being hard work comes from the nights when nobody's in but the other comics, who will proceed to crucify newcomers for their own enjoyment.

9 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

My GP has an online facility for repeat prescriptions 👍

So does ours. Since the last lockdown, it hasn't worked, so you have to file your prescription request, wait a day or two, then phone the practice to check they've got the request (despite the five-minute long intro message specifically stating that they don't deal with prescription requests over the phone anymore). They never have, so they take the details and put it through for you over the phone. I'm not sure how that's different from a phone service.

The NHS isn't being wound up though. Definitely not.

We've been using a small internal aerial for the TV without problems for more than a decade, but suddenly in the past few weeks the reception has been absolutely awful. Not sure if something's gone wrong with the electronics at my end, if something's changed with the transmitter (unlikely), or if something's happened in the area that's interfering with the signal.

Most annoying is the fact the programmes are so shite that I'm not missing it much.

11 hours ago, Margaret Thatcher said:

PTTGOMN:

Constructing a robust and well expressed argument online against someone who's clearly dribbling on the keyboard, then you get several responses deep and realise they are probably right, but not for any of the reasons they have actually put down. 

Oooft. All you can do is just stop replying and hope that makes you appear "above it" to onlookers 😂 

I tried to get on xBox live the weekend before last, it wouldn't work. Instantly onto Twitter search "xbox servers" and got hit with person after person @'ing xbox demanding it be fixed. Snoop Dogg going ballistic and threatening Bill Gates.

I've tried a few days since then and still got nowhere, slowly becoming more likely to go GTA on the people of Dundee because I can't get online on FIFA and people aren't answering my tweets at Microsoft. 

I've come in from work and noticed the light on the signal enhancer that my xbox is wired to outside the living room door was flashing so switched it off and back on. 

Guess who can now get on xBox live? 

shame facepalm GIF

18 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

It's infuriating to know that other GPs will give you the next available slot, my GP operates on a day by day basis and I've never understood why. I've gone a full week of "sorry nothing today, try again tomorrow" before losing the plot.

Why can't they have a fucking queuing system? Literally the only time I hear an engaged phone line these days is when I need to see a doctor. 

So I had more success today, the doctor phoned me back and told me to head to the surgery in fifteen minutes and he'd see me then. It was good news too, I'll be getting a hospital appointment in the next few weeks but it's unlikely to be life threatening*.

Still a shite system though.

*the condition that is, not the hospital visit, though you never know these days.

Regarding doctor's appointments, five or six years ago our surgery started giving out appointments that were weeks in advance, so it amounted to, "deal with it yourself, or go to A&E if it gets too serious". After a while, the receptionists would start adding a very leading "...unless you want an emergency appointment?" at the end of every call, so people just started saying yes and usually got an appointment the same day, even if they just had the flu or whatever.

I'm not sure about now, as I feel kind of conditioned not to bother them anymore, despite having a couple of things that I could probably do with having looked at. It's probably all phone consultations now anyway, thinking about it.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

So I had more success today, the doctor phoned me back and told me to head to the surgery in fifteen minutes and he'd see me then. It was good news too, I'll be getting a hospital appointment in the next few weeks but it's unlikely to be life threatening*.

Still a shite system though.

*the condition that is, not the hospital visit, though you never know these days.

Joker.gif