Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 hours ago, tamthebam said:

We got taught to end French letters (fnarr) with "J'espere recevoir de tes nouvelles"

Which I think means "I hope to receive your news"

TomasLeSalaud, 'igher Francais, 1989. Sacre Fred! 🇫🇷

I last did French in 1969, I can still translate bits and pieces, Latin, on the other hand...

There's an old woman that works in my local Asda that has worn her mask on her chin for the last year. She either wanders around doing nothing or talks to her colleagues - all who can wear them properly.
Also why do the new self service tills not automatically give you a receipt. Lost count of the number of times I'm standing there like a twat waiting on it and I've forgot to press yes I want a receipt. Why would you not want one. Imagine getting stopped at the door cause the alarm goes off [emoji849]

53 minutes ago, MacDuffman said:

There's an old woman that works in my local Asda that has worn her mask on her chin for the last year. She either wanders around doing nothing or talks to her colleagues - all who can wear them properly.
Also why do the new self service tills not automatically give you a receipt. Lost count of the number of times I'm standing there like a twat waiting on it and I've forgot to press yes I want a receipt. Why would you not want one. Imagine getting stopped at the door cause the alarm goes off emoji849.png

I saw an old woman in our local supermarket fruit and veg bit, lower her mask to lick her finger so she could open the plastic bag. Wonder why the numbers are going up?!

Edited by jimbaxters

4 hours ago, MacDuffman said:

Also why do the new self service tills not automatically give you a receipt. Lost count of the number of times I'm standing there like a twat waiting on it and I've forgot to press yes I want a receipt. Why would you not want one. Imagine getting stopped at the door cause the alarm goes off emoji849.png

I don't usually take one to be environmentally friendly and save paper. And some of the self service tills seem to have video cameras on them so presumably the tape could be played back if you were ever nabbed.

6 hours ago, MacDuffman said:

I wondered that too, until I noticed that the door alarms at the Asda in Falkirk go off all the time and nobody ever shifts their arse to go and see if somebody's nicking something, so I guess the receipt (or payment)  really isn't needed.

This may have changed in the last couple of months, as they had someone on the door to give a token effort in asking people to wear a mask before letting them pass by regardless, so perhaps they're on security duty too (asking someone to stop when the alarms go off, before letting them pass by regardless).

9 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

BBC telling you that it's 'ad free', only to separate it's programmes with various  adverts for BBC podcasts, series and MOTD annuals which are available to buy.

They used to do that with the Radio Times until people complained. This is where the term 'Other listings magazines are available' originated as they had to put that on screen every time they did it.

16 minutes ago, GordonD said:

They used to do that with the Radio Times until people complained. This is where the term 'Other listings magazines are available' originated as they had to put that on screen every time they did it.

Do people still buy the Radio Times? I think we got both the Radio Times and TV Times.

1 hour ago, Jacksgranda said:

Do people still buy the Radio Times? I think we got both the Radio Times and TV Times.

Am I right in saying that originally the Radio Times listed only BBC channels and the TV Times the commercial stations?