Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

County was the last ground on my SPFL / HL tour*.  Ended up at Wick (for a Brechin game) and Brora well before that.  This was my first impression of the ground and I'm still trying to work out if this is a typo or if they're just openly racist:

Screenshot_20210119-113824.thumb.png.8674653bfc90a8385519aca75a68b7f7.png

*more accurately, a self-set challenge in front of friends the night before Nevis after a half bottle of Talisker (in order to avoid commiting to be a Munroist with them instead).  Think the f***ers have only climbed 3 munroes since then, the b*****ds

That's proper football language.

The number of people involved in the game who try to make themselves sound clever by adding in words/phrases that they don't really understand is remarkable.

44 minutes ago, coprolite said:

I saw two kids who must have been about 3 and 5 playing a game of running up to the edge of the cliffs at Tintagel and stopping right on the edge while their folks just yapped to another couple. I was too cowardly to say anything directly so just shouted to my mrs "those kids are going to fall off" from about 2m away. That spoiled their potentially fatal fun. 

Sorry

320082E9-A710-47A1-922C-24B73A98CA62.gif

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

My parents told me that if I stood too close to a train on the platform then I'd get sucked under the train and crushed.

They told me this when I was a young child and I believed it for much longer than I care to admit.

It worked though, as I never dicked around on train platforms as a kid.

Oh come on!

My parents told me that if I stood too close to a train on the platform then I'd get sucked under the train and crushed.
They told me this when I was a young child and I believed it for much longer than I care to admit.
If you were unsteady on your feet it's a possibility tbf. When fast trains go through a station you can feel the suction if you're too close.

I'll let someone else insert Kenneth.

And another one for the above comment.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

County was the last ground on my SPFL / HL tour*.  Ended up at Wick (for a Brechin game) and Brora well before that.  This was my first impression of the ground and I'm still trying to work out if this is a typo or if they're just openly racist:

Screenshot_20210119-113824.thumb.png.8674653bfc90a8385519aca75a68b7f7.png

*more accurately, a self-set challenge in front of friends the night before Nevis after a half bottle of Talisker (in order to avoid commiting to be a Munroist with them instead).  Whilst I'm a man of my word, I think the've only climbed 3 munroes since then, the b*****ds

I hate to think what they call the Black Isle if they are racists. 

24 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you were unsteady on your feet it's a possibility tbf. When fast trains go through a station you can feel the suction if you're too close.

I'll let someone else insert Kenneth.

And another one for the above comment.

https://www.ciras.org.uk/articles/2017/unseen-hazard/#

Confimed by elf n safety killjoys. 

They also confirm that signs used to warn about the dangers of being "sucked off." 

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Am I imagining it or did Railtrack once put forward the idea of strapping volunteers to boards at the side of the track to establish how close they could get to a passing train? The unions just about had kittens when they heard and the idea was hastily dropped.

2 minutes ago, GordonD said:

Am I imagining it or did Railtrack once put forward the idea of strapping volunteers to boards at the side of the track to establish how close they could get to a passing train? The unions just about had kittens when they heard and the idea was hastily dropped.

Haha, never heard that, but would have been pretty funny.

I hate to think what they call the Black Isle if they are racists. 
Those of a certain age up there would definitely remember Nigg yard...

And yes that was a real thing

Good punishment for nonces IMO.

4 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

Those of a certain age up there would definitely remember Nigg yard...

And yes that was a real thing

There still is isn't it, there's a ferry and everything?

Edited by welshbairn

6 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

I thought it went not long after Ardersier?
Or was it mothballed

There's a bunch of rusty oil rigs moored just outside it, and the ferry from Cromarty is still up and running. That's the entirety of my knowledge. 

P.S. http://nigg.com/

Edited by welshbairn

4 hours ago, weirdcal said:

I thought it went not long after Ardersier?
Or was it mothballed

Does Roy not own it and do stuff for wind farms? Dunno can’t be arsed looking up info at this time night.

5 hours ago, welshbairn said:

There's a bunch of rusty oil rigs moored just outside it, and the ferry from Cromarty is still up and running. That's the entirety of my knowledge. 

There has been a lot of development at Nigg by Global Energy recently - new quayside and think the shed with the new rolling press may be ready too. The Moray Easy turbines are being assembled and marshalled out of Nigg - first one installed this week.

There is also Nigg Bay in Aberdeen

The near-entirety of my knowledge of Cromarty is a tale once told to me by a regular at a pub I worked at in Aberdeen.

Apparently he was in a (the?) Cromarty pub when a local told him the girl at the bar wasn't wearing any knickers and she'd be fine with him having a feel. So he went up behind her and under her skirt his hand went. She didn't mind in the slightest but suddenly a hand landed on his shoulder. Primed for a brawl to his surprise the man explained he was her brother and asked for a fiver so he could get a blowjob from his sister. He gave him the fiver and off the siblings went only for the brother to return five minutes later with a grin in his face.

I immediately filed the story under "Aye, right." but it's still the first thing that springs to mind when someone mentions Cromarty.