Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

Strava. I wish the world realised that nobody cares about you exercising. The internet was bad enough with people relentlessly posting pictures and videos of their wean but now with lockdown this seems to have joined the party.

There is nothing with strava. I use it although i dont post pictures of my exercise on any social media (i dont have any social media). However, i actually don’t really see anything wrong with it, especially in the current climate. I guess it is some people using it as accountability whilst also trying to inspire people to get them exercising. I understand not everyone will feel like this but just unfollow said person.

Much the same with pictures of kids. I tend to agree if they are posting ten photos a day then it gets a bit boring but really don’t see an issue with it. If you don’t like it then unfollow them or, even better, follow my lead and delete all social media. Your life will be enhanced

It's supposed to be a ratio, not an exact measurement. You're supposed to work out how big you want your 'cup' to be, and dole the ingredients out in the proportions given.

That only works if all the ingredients are listed in cups, but they rarely are. Then there's the obvious issue of using volume to measure things which aren't liquid. To top it all, Americans know its a nonsense measure and that's why nothing in a US supermarket is sold by the cup.

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

That only works if all the ingredients are listed in cups, but they rarely are. Then there's the obvious issue of using volume to measure things which aren't liquid. To top it all, Americans know its a nonsense measure and that's why nothing in a US supermarket is sold by the cup.

I dunno, that's just how it was explained to me. In practice, it's pretty easy to follow when you get the idea behind it. Presumably a holdover from a time when people didn't have quite such easy access to measuring equipment?

I do like the idea of walking into the supermarket and asking for a few cups of flour, and the shopkeeper trying to work out how much to charge you when you bust out your 32-oz Big Gulp cup.

11 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I dunno, that's just how it was explained to me. In practice, it's pretty easy to follow when you get the idea behind it. Presumably a holdover from a time when people didn't have quite such easy access to measuring equipment?

I do like the idea of walking into the supermarket and asking for a few cups of flour, and the shopkeeper trying to work out how much to charge you when you bust out your 32-oz Big Gulp cup.

The bigger the cup the better..

9807E39E-2AED-4AFC-8C46-8A1042F09AE1.jpeg

In practice, it's pretty easy to follow when you get the idea behind it.

Imagine the following recipe:

300g stewing beef
100g minced onion
100ml beef stock

Simple enough to measure out and scale to your needs and the ratios are clear. Then the same recipe US style:

10oz stewing beef
1 cup minced onion
0.5 cup beef stock.

14 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

300g stewing beef
100g minced onion
100ml beef stock

Simple enough to measure out and scale to your needs and the ratios are clear. Then the same recipe US style:

10oz stewing beef
1 cup minced onion
0.5 cup beef stock.

Sounds good. When do you want us over?

20 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

300g stewing beef
100g minced onion
100ml beef stock

10oz stewing beef
1 cup minced onion
0.5 cup beef stock.

Who follows amounts anyway? Recipes are just a starting point.

Recipes are just a suggestion.

Manufacturer's instruction manuals are just, like, their opinion. 
Hes right tbf. Recipes are ok to start with but if you can cook at all, you will have a large number of dishes which you can do by feel, and many which started from a recipe but deviated based on preferences.

Except in baking apparently. I'm told you really need to stick to recipes for that.

5 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Hes right tbf. Recipes are ok to start with but if you can cook at all, you will have a large number of dishes which you can do by feel, and many which started from a recipe but deviated based on preferences.

Except in baking apparently. I'm told you really need to stick to recipes for that.

I don't do baking because you do need to be precise. I also understand the need to be careful with cooking times. But I can't be arsed using bits of things. If it says Xg of onion the whole lot will go in. Recipe for chilli or curry? Put extra everything in.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

15 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Baking is a lot more scientific is my understanding. Relies more on reactions, for example yeast giving rise, and you need to make sure there’s reasonable ratios of wet/dry etc. I think there’s room for deviation if you’re good, but anytime I bake it has to be bang on the recipe or it comes out shite. 

Baking is a lot more scientific is my understanding. Relies more on reactions, for example yeast giving rise, and you need to make sure there’s reasonable ratios of wet/dry etc. I think there’s room for deviation if you’re good, but anytime I bake it has to be bang on the recipe or it comes out shite. 
I only ever bake bread tbf and theres a bit of wiggle room there for sure, re hydration levels etc depending on what you want but cakes and the like is fully her domain. I dont get involved.

300g stewing beef
100g minced onion
100ml beef stock

10oz stewing beef
1 cup minced onion
0.5 cup beef stock.

Aye, but for us auld yins it wouldna be “300g” stewing beef.

It wid be 1lb beef, 2 medium onions and 1/3rd pint of stock, 1/2lb lard, 6 chopped carrots and a cup of corn flour for thickening

(I know those aren’t direct size replacements but we were also guilty of using mixed measures)