Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

8 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

image.png.2f2d44b5adcb306cac555d5baab4c9c0.png

I'm guessing Wark will be miming and Godley will be adding one of her pathetic and unfunny voice overs?

Janey is well known for her vast scientific and medical knowledge tbf, this could change how the country is dealing with the virus.

1 hour ago, NotThePars said:

Janey Godley has a role in communicating the science? No, we’re not ready for independence. We should actually give back some powers to Westminster if this is the case.

She has actually been briefing Jason all along.

I'm in the market for a new phone, and the unnerving, raging hard on's all reviewers have for the camera quality is something I hate.  Maybe it's just me, but the main things for me on any phone are battery life and reliability, you know, apps being stable and fast responding.

If I want to take amazing photos (I don't) I'll buy a decent camera. I get it, a phone lets you have an all encompassing piece of kit that's a camera, a laptop effectively, and a telephone.  But the time and effort in these review videos dedicated to the camera is way OTT.  Even the mainstream reviewers take up about 70% of their videos reviewing the cameras.  The photos they take never look that impressive, they always compare the camera to other phones and again, they all look the same.  They're all just HD photos.

The average phone user doesn't spend all day in the countryside taking pictures of trees and mountains.  They're texting or tweeting or calling, switching to different apps constantly, so need a fast, reliable OS and a good battery.  That's what really matters in a phone IMO, and what should be the main focus of these reviews. 

20 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Secret fucking Santa.

It beats everyone finding out tbh.

Anyway, my PTTGOMN this week is two fold.

1. Flooding a significant portion of my house having left a sink running and walked away for quite a period of time

2. The wife coming in at the tail end of my largely successful clean up, turning into a Tasmanian fucking devil and turning my calm process into a whining rabble.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I'm in the market for a new phone, and the unnerving, raging hard on's all reviewers have for the camera quality is something I hate.  Maybe it's just me, but the main things for me on any phone are battery life and reliability, you know, apps being stable and fast responding.

Totally agree. The photos on my phone comprise pictures of my electricity and gas meter readings, my car tyre sizes and recommended pressures and the odd screen shot of my bank balance.

I suspect that most smart phones are roughly on a par for performance and battery life, with the higher cost ones only being distinguishable by their camera performance, so that’s why reviewers focus so much on that.

If I want to take amazing photos (I don't) I'll buy a decent camera. I get it, a phone lets you have an all encompassing piece of kit that's a camera, a laptop effectively, and a telephone.  But the time and effort in these review videos dedicated to the camera is way OTT.  Even the mainstream reviewers take up about 70% of their videos reviewing the cameras.  The photos they take never look that impressive, they always compare the camera to other phones and again, they all look the same.  They're all just HD photos.
The average phone user doesn't spend all day in the countryside taking pictures of trees and mountains.  They're texting or tweeting or calling, switching to different apps constantly, so need a fast, reliable OS and a good battery.  That's what really matters in a phone IMO, and what should be the main focus of these reviews. 
You want a Motorola. I won't go elsewhere now. Had Motorola's for the last 4 years or so. I'm like you, I couldn't really give a f**k about all the gadgets, I just don't want to be charging the thing all the time. I went in to the shop and said the same to the boy and he said Motorola's battery is excellent and charges quickly as well. I've seen it be at 30% at night and I haven't bothered to charge it and it's still fine the next day. Whereas with my old IPhone I had to charge it every single night and some days it wouldn't make it to night.

The phones themselves are cheap on contracts as well.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

You want a Motorola. I won't go elsewhere now. Had Motorola's for the last 4 years or so. I'm like you, I couldn't really give a f**k about all the gadgets, I just don't want to be charging the thing all the time. I went in to the shop and said the same to the boy and he said Motorola's battery is excellent and charges quickly as well. I've seen it be at 30% at night and I haven't bothered to charge it and it's still fine the next day. Whereas with my old IPhone I had to charge it every single night and some days it wouldn't make it to night.

Fascinating!

29 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I got a OnePlus 5T 3 years ago, it's the first phone I've found still performs well enough that I wanted to keep it at the end of my 2 year contracts (had an iPhone and a load of Samsungs previously). I have no intention of changing it any time soon, and when I eventually do I'll probably be going with another OnePlus. Would definitely recommend.

45 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

If I'm streaming about an hour of video from XHamster each day would I still see these results?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

@TheScarf, Huawei are your friend. If you're not that bothered by a plethora of apps being unavailable a new one will be great. If you are, get the mate20 Pro. I regret taking this upgrade and selling that. It should have been the other way around. 

I've got an Honor 8x just now but it's not great, if I do stay on Android I think I'll go to Samsung.

5 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Why is Wark a fellow (steady)? No disrespect but as far as I can see she's a run of the mill broadcast journalist, have I missed some significant written body of work she has produced?

The usual thing- give something like this to a celebrity and you get a bit of kudos for your organisation. It has to be the right celebrity of course. I mean you wouldn't hand out an FRSE to, say, Gazza. Wark is a safe in that she's a) Scottish b) fairly clever and c) probably votes the same as the Royal Society of Edinburgh's members.  

I have the same thoughts as yours above every New Years/Birthday honours e.g. why has Wayne Wayne of English FC got an OBE for Services to Football when he's a millionaire and has never had to pick dugshite and junkies needies off a blaze pitch. 

Just now, 101 said:

I really like my OnePlus don't know if you've considered them?

I had a OnePlus3 and a OnePlus6 and then changed to a Samsung S10.  I'll be going back to a OnePlus I think when the time comes to change again.  The Samsung nowhere near as good a phone.

17 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

I had a OnePlus3 and a OnePlus6 and then changed to a Samsung S10.  I'll be going back to a OnePlus I think when the time comes to change again.  The Samsung nowhere near as good a phone.

I'm on the 6t at the moment it by far the best phone I've ever had will probably wait for the 9 to come out and then buy the 8t

Edited by 101