Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

12 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Incorrect. Which is easier to calculate: £10 x 13 / 4, or £10 x 4.25?

Which set is easier to compare: 13/4 & 7/3 or 4.25 & 3.33?

Which are easier to plug into a spreadsheet, fractions or decimals?

You've chosen two fractions there that I rarely see in betting. At least when it comes to football. I know roughly what I'll be getting back by looking but I find it easy enough to do fractions with a calculator if it's a bigger accumulator. I have no idea what's easier in a spreadsheet though as it isn't something I use. 

The picture below is the normal type of odds you see. I could put those in order of best to worst pretty quickly. 

Screenshot_20201119-080059.png

Or when they show up and try to haggle, sold something for £20 last week, this muppet shows up at the door and offers £15, said no, and got the £20, but thinking back should have just shut the door in his pus, off you pop back to Arbroath, clown.
eta, despair for the human race.
Thank you.
Nup, I'm all for a bit of bartering. Good on the c**t for trying and good on you for refusing to back down.

I dunno if it's something in the software that triggers people to act like they have to haggle but I almost admire the brass neck. They'll try and negotiate down on anything. Even when my ma was giving away a wardrobe for free someone messaged and asked if she'd deliver it as well. Unreal.
Now, this is taking the piss. The haggling is all good, but that is too far.

13 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Incorrect. Which is easier to calculate: £10 x 13 / 4, or £10 x 4.25?

Which set is easier to compare: 13/4 & 7/3 or 4.25 & 3.33?

Which are easier to plug into a spreadsheet, fractions or decimals?

I find the fractional odds easier to work out in my head. A friend gave me a 'formula' years ago to work out accumulator. So for the one highlighted add the numerator and denominator and divide by the denominator x the stake. So (13 +4)/4 x 10= 17/4 ×10 = 42.5.

I don't find fractional odds difficult but decimal is a clear winner for me. I imagine most of those who prefer fractional do so because they grew up with them and the effort of becoming accustomed to a new system isn't worth it when there's one they're comfortable with.
I imagine anyone encountering odds for the first time would choose decimal over fractional.

I find the fractional odds easier to work out in my head. A friend gave me a 'formula' years ago to work out accumulator. So for the one highlighted add the numerator and denominator and divide by the denominator x the stake. So (13 +4)/4 x 10= 17/4 ×10 = 42.5.
Wtf are you on about? That's just making things more difficult.

2 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:
2 hours ago, jagfox BLM said:

Wtf are you on about? That's just making things more difficult.

I can just work it out easier in my head. I guess that's the point of fractions.

Decimals obvs easier for spreadsheets and the like.

19 hours ago, spud131 said:

Moving house next week so listed a few things we no longer need on Facebook Marketplace and gumtree.
The amount of folk that message asking if an item is still for sale then never get back to you when you tell them it is.
Can only assume they are considering selling a similar item and are wanting to find out if it sold at the price you've listed it for.

Marketplace is a bloody nightmare.

1st up you answer questions only for them to go silent.

Then you get the people who say they will be round and never appear.

Last item I gave away I actually had a lady tell me she was coming at 11. Come 11 and no sign I drop her a message asking where she is whilst assuming she's a no show.

She gets back In contact to say she's "on the train". I'm apparently aware of where from and how long this will take.

I assume she's close so leave the item at my door and f**k off to the tip with some shite I want to dispose of. 

I return about an hour later and the bag is still there. I'm really not giving a f**k by now so f**k off back out.

When I return the bag is finally gone and through speaking to a neighbour discover this woman was over 2 hours late.

f**k only knows how far this train came from because I'm less than 10min walk from the station.

I'm also really pissed off that she said f**k all about how late she was gonnae be ( she was the 1 who said 11 to me) or how far she was coming.

I'm just glad I didn't wait around the entitled piece of scum.

Edited by Gaz FFC

On 17/11/2020 at 09:56, welshbairn said:

Why don't they sell them ready shelled  like peanuts and cashew nuts?

They'd cost a fortune. The weight of the missing shells would probably (at least) half the size of a bag. It would feel like such a rip off. I guess we're a bit daft like that.

Wife went to M&S to order Christmas food only to be told the dressed lobster has “sold out” and there won’t be any more available.

I am incandescent with rage and realise that there’s not a suitable thread on here as this is not ‘petty’.