Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

11 hours ago, spud131 said:
11 hours ago, MixuFruit said:
Just went and tested this and it's not my experience, can click on timeline fine just like always. Are they doing some sneaky A/B testing?

Are you android or ios?

Human.

Didn't realise there were so many bots on the site. 

3 hours ago, NewBornBairn said:

Every year I miss the last cut for my grass. The garden looks shit but it won't stop raining now for months, when the snow starts. 

Oh and the incessant rain has helped me discover 3 seperate leaks in the shed roof. fukkit. 

I'm in this situation this year. It's dry today though, if the rain stays off I might just go for it this afternoon. Even a cut on the longest setting of the mower would be a decent improvement.

2 hours ago, Stan Hope said:

QR-CODE.png

trying to send a parcel back to Amazon from a parcel shop, when your phone is a 12 year old Nokia

tNQhED2.jpg

They were beautifully made objects. I've got the Nokia ringtone as a bit of auld man nostalgia on my iphone. Always a struggle not to answer it with a loud "HELLO. NO I'M IN EDINBURGH. NO, IT'S SHIT".

3 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'm in this situation this year. It's dry today though, if the rain stays off I might just go for it this afternoon. Even a cut on the longest setting of the mower would be a decent improvement.

You putting the cuttings box on or will it be a waste of time?

Currently doing temp IT work until I start my new permanent job and the guys who work here full time (but WFH due to the Rona) are on a rota to come into the office for 1 day a week so I'm not there by myself (I'm not on the insurance due to me being temp) and every Friday they have a call to discuss who is coming in on what days the next week.

Every week this call descends into arguing and who has had to go in more than someone else.  I've been here 5 weeks and finally pointed out today that they'd all be fucking in 5 days a week if it wasn't for the current situation, so why are they all in floods of tears about having to drag their fat arses off the sofa and away from Netflix for 1 day a week.

Another thing is we have a daily call that starts at half 9.  There's 8 in the team and the manager insists that every day all 8 of us have to discuss what we're planning doing that day, this call takes an hour at the absolute minimum, and you're sat there listening to stuff that has zero affect on your job.  Doing simple sums that's 8 man hours a day, 40 a week, wasted on a pointless call. That's more than 1 FTE, and the boss gurns we need more staff...

To the shock of no one, it's a public sector job.

5 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Currently doing temp IT work until I start my new permanent job and the guys who work here full time (but WFH due to the Rona) are on a rota to come into the office for 1 day a week so I'm not there by myself (I'm not on the insurance due to me being temp) and every Friday they have a call to discuss who is coming in on what days the next week.

Every week this call descends into arguing and who has had to go in more than someone else.  I've been here 5 weeks and finally pointed out today that they'd all be fucking in 5 days a week if it wasn't for the current situation, so why are they all in floods of tears about having to drag their fat arses off the sofa and away from Netflix for 1 day a week.

Another thing is we have a daily call that starts at half 9.  There's 8 in the team and the manager insists that every day all 8 of us have to discuss what we're planning doing that day, this call takes an hour at the absolute minimum, and you're sat there listening to stuff that has zero affect on your job.  Doing simple sums that's 8 man hours a day, 40 a week, wasted on a pointless call. That's more than 1 FTE, and the boss gurns we need more staff...

To the shock of no one, it's a public sector job.

I used to work in a local government IT job and every Monday morning we’d sit in a meeting for 2 hours as we each explained to the rest of the team how busy we were.

As the project progressed and fell further behind schedule, we’d also have a weekly meeting with the Business System Manager who would spend an hour berating us about how badly we were doing. Did wonders for team morale. 

I can't find the book I want to read. It was in the kitchen and now it isn't.
Spent 10 minutes looking for my Kindle to take to work last night. I knew I had moved it from the living room into the kitchen not long before. Turned out I was right, I had put it on the kitchen table, then cleverly hidden it under my WSC magazine.

59 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

I used to work in a local government IT job and every Monday morning we’d sit in a meeting for 2 hours as we each explained to the rest of the team how busy we were.

As the project progressed and fell further behind schedule, we’d also have a weekly meeting with the Business System Manager who would spend an hour berating us about how badly we were doing. Did wonders for team morale. 

I worked as a salesman for a company based in Cannock. We had 5 sales meetings a year and, because of the distance I would travel down the day before and travel back the day after. We got a new sales director and I was summonsed to a meeting with him.

"Newborn," he said (not my real name),  "I'm concerned at the amount of time you take off the road"

"Oh, you are are you Arsehole?" I replied (not his real name)

"Yes, can you explain the 15 days last year where you made no calls?"

"Umm, well sales meetings"

"What about the other 10 days though" he said triumphantly as I'd walked straight into his trap. 

"Arsehole", I replied, "It's about 300 miles each way to the office, about 5 hours driving. It takes me a day to get here and a day to get back"

"Oh", (looks at my file), "Ah, right"

"And now I've lost another 3 days coming down to tell you that"

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The amount of man hours lost each year in pointless meetings and conference calls across all industries will be frightening.

Sometimes i miss the civil service. 

I needed to get access to a database for one specific team because it was obvious it would save loads of time, cost nothing and cause no data security issues.

But you can't just ask. I had to use problem solving processes to "engage stakeholders" in identifying and defining issues, exploring potential "solutions" and eventually costing "solutions" before coming up with a project plan to implement them. 

My first meeting involved about 30 people, including people travelling for like 5 hours. It took 4 and a half hours for us to successfully define the issue (stage 2 of 8 on the problem solving O). 

It took 4 months and several more meetings to get access to the database. It could have taken 5 minutes to call the right people. 

Still, kept me in work. 

i can mind at an old job getting pulled up for leaving at 5:28pm, manager was like "oh i passed you in the kitchen yesterday but noticed your time sheet said 5:30pm, i fixed it to 5:25pm for you :) " the next day

at the time i was like "meh, fine, lesson learned" and just pretended to work for the last 5 minutes of every single shift rather than leave marginally early, but the same manager was on for overtime two weeks in a row and fucked off before the shifts finished (we were meant to have at least 1 manager in during the O/T shifts), once to get a bus, the other time to get a taxi. Both times were a good 5 - 8 minutes before we were meant to finish. in the spirit of the thread i had a look at the sign out booklet and noticed it didn't accurately reflect her actual shift. That was at a double time rate too so technically a good deal worse than what I did.

I did bring it up to a colleague the second time it happened and just got a shrug and a "well, yep, that's one of the perks when you're a manager I guess"

In hindsight there's a lot more I could have done - genuinely was tempted to do a callback and bring it up to her one of the days like "oh I noticed you left a bit early to get your bus/taxi but the sign in sheet wasn't right, I fixed it for you though, might need to amend your timesheet :) ". but could never be arsed with it.

We also weren't meant to ever have our own phones at our desks but she took what was blatantly a personal call while at her workstation on one of the O/T shifts and all.

If you can imagine a useless middle aged woman that talks incessantly about food you'll get the gist of it.

edit: yes, this was a public sector job

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

42 minutes ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

i can mind at an old job getting pulled up for leaving at 5:28pm, manager was like "oh i passed you in the kitchen yesterday but noticed your time sheet said 5:30pm, i fixed it to 5:25pm for you :) " the next day

at the time i was like "meh, fine, lesson learned" and just pretended to work for the last 5 minutes of every single shift rather than leave marginally early, but the same manager was on for overtime two weeks in a row and fucked off before the shifts finished (we were meant to have at least 1 manager in during the O/T shifts), once to get a bus, the other time to get a taxi. Both times were a good 5 - 8 minutes before we were meant to finish. in the spirit of the thread i had a look at the sign out booklet and noticed it didn't accurately reflect her actual shift. That was at a double time rate too so technically a good deal worse than what I did.

I did bring it up to a colleague the second time it happened and just got a shrug and a "well, yep, that's one of the perks when you're a manager I guess"

In hindsight there's a lot more I could have done - genuinely was tempted to do a callback and bring it up to her one of the days like "oh I noticed you left a bit early to get your bus/taxi but the sign in sheet wasn't right, I fixed it for you though, might need to amend your timesheet :) ". but could never be arsed with it.

We also weren't meant to ever have our own phones at our desks but she took what was blatantly a personal call while at her workstation on one of the O/T shifts and all.

If you can imagine a useless middle aged woman that talks incessantly about food you'll get the gist of it.

edit: yes, this was a public sector job

Grass her in.

Lidl and Aldi bending over backwards to advertise how BRITISH! their products are, and how much they invest into BRITAIN!, and BRITISH BRITISH BRITAIN!

Depressing that they're desperately trying to appeal to the xenophobes before they notice they're from the HATED EU.

Lidl and Aldi bending over backwards to advertise how BRITISH! their products are, and how much they invest into BRITAIN!, and BRITISH BRITISH BRITAIN!

Depressing that they're desperately trying to appeal to the xenophobes before they notice they're from the HATED EU.

I noticed this the other day actually. Depressing indeed. Vauxhall at it too with their radio adverts.