Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

"Can you believe it, Oliver. I drove the Land Rover into Leven to get some wine for tonight's party and they don't even have a Waitrose there. A terribly nice man in a genuine old fashioned corner shop did sell me a bottle of something called Buckfast which he said was good for parties..."

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

No he's dead right. Some of the most shocking anti-Scottish shite I've ever heard out loud was at a café in Falkland. Folk with money earned in careers elsewhere on salaries local people can't make, buying up houses in these wee spots and acting like the natives don't exist and can't understand them.

It's no accident Catherine Calderwood got Lee Wallaced by her neighbours in Earlsferry. There's a powderkeg of resentment in that neck of the woods.

It's your own fault for being at Pillars of Hercules.

Next summer go for a drink in elie and see what I’m on about.

I got dragged (reluctantly) to Elie by some chums from Stockbridge for a birthday picnic and the drinkies in the ship inn. It was delightful and you could almost forget you were in Fife.

Would highly recommended

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I got dragged (reluctantly) to Elie by some chums from Stockbridge for a birthday picnic and the drinkies in the ship inn. It was delightful and you could almost forget you were in Fife.

Would highly recommended

200.gif

28 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

"Can you believe it, Oliver. I drove the Land Rover into Leven to get some wine for tonight's party and they don't even have a Waitrose there. A terribly nice man in a genuine old fashioned corner shop did sell me a bottle of something called Buckfast which he said was good for parties..."

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Well yes, sorry

But it’s also a true story

Elie is very nice and if you time your visit right it’s good for open water swimming

It’s like a cooler, grittier version of Gullane

I know it really well, it’s awesome but I don’t like the way it’s gone over the last decade or so. I tend to go when it’s full of tourists and noticed it getting more and more expensive. When I first remember it the ship inn was a dive that had tables from the local school outside and the couches inside were all burst. Maybe somewhere between that and what it is now would be good. 

1 hour ago, D.A.F.C said:

I’m thinking that folk from leith might feel the same.

About 100 years ago Kinghorn used to get overwhelmed by Leithers coming for their summer holidays and over the years they bought properties and eventually emigrated.

The downside was a dilution of the gene pool.

I know it really well, it’s awesome but I don’t like the way it’s gone over the last decade or so. I tend to go when it’s full of tourists and noticed it getting more and more expensive. When I first remember it the ship inn was a dive that had tables from the local school outside and the couches inside were all burst. Maybe somewhere between that and what it is now would be good. 

Most people complaining about gentrification are like that. We want out local hive of scum and villainy to move upmarket but not so upmarket as to leave us, personally, behind.

It’s probably tougher in small town Scotland than it is in a densely populated metropolitan area where there’s room for more things going on at once.

In Leith you can get low grade smack and Michelin starred lobster within a few minutes walk of each other. The Lidl in Dalry is next to an artisanal Spanish ham shop and a French language theatre workshop and a cash converters

Small towns and villages can’t really do that “something for everyone” thing

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Most people complaining about gentrification are like that. We want out local hive of scum and villainy to move upmarket but not so upmarket as to leave us behind.

It’s probably tougher in small town Scotland than it is in a densely populated metropolitan area where there’s room for more things going on at once.

In Leith you can get low grade smack and Michelin starred lobster within a few minutes walk of each other. The Lidl in Dalry is next to an artisanal Spanish ham shop and a French language theatre workshop and a cash converters

Small towns and villages can’t really do that “something for everyone” thing

That’s exactly it, the poor wee wifies who went on for tea and cake at the elie pavilion now have to pay £45 for the pleasure.

:lol:

That’s exactly it, the poor wee wifies who went on for tea and cake at the elie pavilion now have to pay £45 for the pleasure.

default_laugh.png

On the other hand

Back when I used to frequent Kickback there was a thread bemoaning the gentrification of Gorgie because the previous night there had been running battles outside the pub Westfield street and some local busybody had called the police rather than just assuming that loud scary street violence was part of the local culture.

I reckon that kind of gentrification is probably okay

30 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

On the other hand

Back when I used to frequent Kickback there was a thread bemoaning the gentrification of Gorgie because the previous night there had been running battles outside the pub Westfield street and some local busybody had called the police rather than just assuming that loud scary street violence was part of the local culture.

I reckon that kind of gentrification is probably okay

🤣 I grew up in Gorgie, less than 100 metres from the pub at Westfield. I remember when it first opened. Could tell a few stories about the place but they are really a "you had to have been there" type of story.

1 minute ago, supermik said:

🤣 I grew up in Gorgie, less than 100 metres from the pub at Westfield. I remember when it first opened. Could tell a few stories about the place but they are really a "you had to have been there" type of story.

Gorgie 

4 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

:lol:

Who runs the cafes that are suddenly hiking their prices up? The rich folk moving in - or the same folk who always had owned them and are now cashing in? 

It’s what mixu says, the locals can’t stand them as they’ve ruined the house prices and made all the local shops and cafes into expensive and somewhat pretentious hellholes full of people who have to be heard.
Next summer go for a drink in elie and see what I’m on about.
Nothing against fancy food but it’s the whole package that’s annoying, I realise I’m being a bit petty that’s why I posted it in here.
Maybe I just miss the old quaintness about the east neuk but imo they’ve ruined it.

The sprogs of the old fannies that have lived in these wee towns all their days wont be complaining when they sell the house after said old fannies have croaked it and the houses have increased ten fold.

10 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

Lol never been there. Tried a veg box from them once, I was not impressed.

It's okay, the cafe bit, but wouldn't recommend if you don't want to bump into Tarquin and Felicity.

1 hour ago, Aufc said:

The sprogs of the old fannies that have lived in these wee towns all their days wont be complaining when they sell the house after said old fannies have croaked it and the houses have increased ten fold.

I suppose but then you’re left with 80% turned into holiday homes for rich folk from south east of England only using them for a month a year and the village becomes a ghost town. For anyone that’s left outside holiday season they’re fucked.

7 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Who runs the cafes that are suddenly hiking their prices up? The rich folk moving in - or the same folk who always had owned them and are now cashing in? 

On a similar note, I'm failing to see how it's the fault of those dastardly 'outsiders'* for house prices rising as well.

*Not Hall and Nash