Petty Things That Get On Your Nerves...

45 minutes ago, German Jag said:

Schalke is a district of Gelsenkirchen. Population of 25 thousand or so.

Ok, clears that up, ta.

Saw them play Bayern at the Allianz. Very well supported team. I couldn't help noticing that the Germans enjoy a very admirable and civilised approach to drinking at the game which is denied us. All thanks to you-know-who 😉🍺

2 minutes ago, Turkmenbashi said:

Some junkie told me to shave today. Apparently it doesn't suit me. I was actually planning on, but now I don't want to.

Never fails to amaze when some angry mess decides to dish out the lifestyle advice, especially when, purely hypothetically, they've previously pished themselves at your place of work and couldn't understand why their trackie bottoms were wet.

28 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Never fails to amaze when some angry mess decides to dish out the lifestyle advice, especially when, purely hypothetically, they've previously pished themselves at your place of work and couldn't understand why their trackie bottoms were wet.

About two months ago I had some fat balding mess, quite possibly younger than me as well, pull up beside me and shout from his car for me to "get a fucking haircut". Considering that my long flowing curly locks had helped me get my hole with a relatively fit burd from tinder/my now girlfriend about a month earlier. I don't know who I should be listening to.

In what way is it polite to tell someone that you 'don't have change' when you quite clearly do? 
I suspect that you're impressing absolutely no-one with this faux concern for their wellbeing while keeping your crisp fiver firmly in your wallet regardless. You're simply lying to them by another means. 

Unless you can hear coins jingling in someone’s pocket, how is it ever ‘clear’ that someone has cash on them?

I’m not trying to impress anyone.

I haven’t regularly carried cash for long time now. The last time I did was to pay for a haircut where cash was the only option. It’s a fact that nearly everything can be paid for by card now, I’m sure you know that yourself.

I merely believe it’s a bit kinder to acknowledge someone, especially when they’ve spoken to you, than to ignore them because you believe they aren’t worth a fraction of your attention.

It was just a bit tough to watch a young woman - in what must be a pretty grim situation - begging on the street, asking the odd punter who walked past for change, and for nearly all of them to blatantly ignore her.

2 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Ok, clears that up, ta.

Saw them play Bayern at the Allianz. Very well supported team. I couldn't help noticing that the Germans enjoy a very admirable and civilised approach to drinking at the game which is denied us. All thanks to you-know-who 😉🍺

Should have voted for that Jim Murphy, think that was his only policy, apart from his favourite Tory being Ian Duncan Smith so he must have been keen on welfare cuts too.

50 minutes ago, smpar said:

Unless you can hear coins jingling in someone’s pocket, how is it ever ‘clear’ that someone has cash on them?

I’m not trying to impress anyone.

I haven’t regularly carried cash for long time now. The last time I did was to pay for a haircut where cash was the only option. It’s a fact that nearly everything can be paid for by card now, I’m sure you know that yourself.

The 'not got any change pal' line has been getting wheeled out for decades: it isn't some novel scenario caused by the contactless age. Which is why everyone who you give that line to will just conclude that you're a liar anyway.

I merely believe it’s a bit kinder to acknowledge someone, especially when they’ve spoken to you, than to ignore them because you believe they aren’t worth a fraction of your attention.

It was just a bit tough to watch a young woman - in what must be a pretty grim situation - begging on the street, asking the odd punter who walked past for change, and for nearly all of them to blatantly ignore her.

Acknowledge with excuses but don't help or don't acknowledge and don't help: I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever to someone whose M.O. at that time and place is to get assistance from passers-by. You're just adding some dishonest window-dressing to make you feel better about the interaction.

3 hours ago, Academically Deficient said:

Ok, clears that up, ta.

I'm sure there's a mention of Shalke in "Das Boot"- on the sub in the Atlantic the sailors are listening to the radio news from Germany and Shalke have lost 5-0. I think the reaction is something like "f*cking typical Shalke"

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

The 'not got any change pal' line has been getting wheeled out for decades: it isn't some novel scenario caused by the contactless age. Which is why everyone who you give that line to will just conclude that you're a liar anyway.

Acknowledge with excuses but don't help or don't acknowledge and don't help: I doubt it makes any difference whatsoever to someone whose M.O. at that time and place is to get assistance from passers-by. You're just adding some dishonest window-dressing to make you feel better about the interaction.

Are you pretending to be homeless in order to con people in to giving you money?

11 minutes ago, virginton said:

Nah mate, got to disagree here.

Any time I ask someone for help, I always prefer them to blatantly lie to my face rather than just ignore me. It's so much more polite.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm well aware of that. I haven't claimed that it's a new excuse that I've just thought of using now. "I don't have anything on me" is just an example of a few things you could say. 

I agree with you to an extent here. No, the act of just being acknowledged won't pay for food, or give them a bed for the night. There are probably plenty rough sleepers who couldn't give a f**k if people speak to them or not, as long as they get some money. I do believe, however, that many people who are on the streets would rather that people simply acknowledged them in some way; it might help to feel a bit more humanised for example. 

6 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I'm sure there's a mention of Shalke in "Das Boot"- on the sub in the Atlantic the sailors are listening to the radio news from Germany and Shalke have lost 5-0. I think the reaction is something like "f*cking typical Shalke"

As if those lads weren't having a bad enough time of it already eh?

Imagine facing almost certain death in a tin can under the sea, then hearing Accies have fucked it up again despite Killie being down to ten men.